• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:51 AM

3 Ibuprofin's a half hour before bedtime, and NO aching shoulder!   :dancingbanana:   I was worn down from the heat yesterday, so passed out after supper in my recliner.  Woke up in time to take more Ibu's, then headed to bed.  Felt much better this morning, and holding up under the heat better today too.  Mowing around the farmstead today, for about an hour at a time, then cooling break for me AND the tractors!  :thumbs:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#1232 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Concrete company had a morning opening for a load, so concrete will arrive at 11am.    Heat index will be hitting up to 105 today.  Good thing this will just take a few minutes to do.  About 7 yards it figured up.  Here is where it will go.  It is the unloading ramp we back our truck to to dump silage, once we fill the floor space below & can't dump down there any longer.   I start pushing silage on the floor up to this end, then switch to pushing the silage down the stack to the far end.

DSC00008.JPG

With the thread about HVAC  HERE , I got some shots of our bulk milk tank cooling units.  These are industrial units, and started life as Copeland cast iron piston units, but when the cast units went south, I installed Tecumseh units which only cost me between $400 & $500 apiece, where cast iron Copelands are 2 to 3 grand each!   The Tecumseh look just like home AC units, but have a much higher flow volume, which is required to remove the heat quickly from milk.   When it stays above 95, I must spray water mist on the condenser coils to improve heat removal.  Even if it did mean shorter life of components, I must do it anyway.  The reason is milk needs to be cooled to 50F or below within 1 hour or less of milking, or bacteria will begin to grow rapidly.  

I'm sure that coldone especially, is very familiar with the cast iron Copeland units, which are common in the freezing world.  If I set these right, I could make a solid bar of milk.

DSC00009.JPG DSC00010.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00012.JPG

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1233 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Just poured the concrete.  Hot, but not too bad out......yet!

#1234 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 11:26 AM

You might try applying your water to the return loops on the ends of the coils. This will greatly reduce the mineral build up on the condensing coil fins and can drop your head pressure dramatically. We used this trick for years without any ill effects. 

#1235 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:57 PM

A little tale of aggravation for Dan - went to neighbor' Tues to bale a small field for him . 10 bales into it shear bolts go left and right , run out of them . Go wimpering home hoping baler is OK . ,, Brood on it .... Idea - claen out chamber ,start over . Last two slices in chamber - click click . Protective dogs for needles are cleared of fine hay jamming them .
Went back to field ,resume bailing with IH 430 all Ok. All in a day with sanity left - some .
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1236 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:58 AM

3.5 tons of cooling per unit so 7tons total. 84000 BTUs worth of cooling. Do both units run at the same time? How much milk in the tank when full?

Just for fun, here is a tech write up on calculating heat load which leads to condensing unit selection.

http://refrigtech.co...oad_Systems.pdf

#1237 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:10 AM

3.5 tons of cooling per unit so 7tons total. 84000 BTUs worth of cooling. Do both units run at the same time? How much milk in the tank when full?

The 2 units are split cooling systems.  The bulk tank has twin cooling plates, so each system is independent, but both come on at the same settings.  Great when something goes wrong, as we can limp along with one unit, just having to take our time so not to put the milk in quite as fast.  If warm weather & down to one unit, even if just 80 degrees I have to run mist, or the single has a lot of trouble keeping up, even if milking slow.  In cold weather, one unit does great by itself.  It's a 1500 gallon tank (almost 13,000lbs), but we've not filled it for a few years now with the low herd numbers and brutal hot summers.  Right now we're shy of 800 gallons per pickup.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1238 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Daniel, how often do they pick up the milk?  Do you always sell to just one company or do you shop around to get the best price?

#1239 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Daniel, how often do they pick up the milk?  Do you always sell to just one company or do you shop around to get the best price?

Every other day pickup.  We belong to a milk COOP, "Dairy Farmers of America".  Started with "Kyana Milk Producers", which has merged/morphed into what is now DFA.  For a couple years only, we left our coop due to mismanagement of coop, which dropped our price below everyone else so far we couldn't survive.  That COOP president left office, and things got better.

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1240 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 01:17 PM

First thing, neighbor called an hour before I usually leave the house.  He spotted cows out.  Flew out the door & luckily found just 4 dry cows laying close to their wire gate.  Didn't take 5 minutes total getting them in, but I went down the road checking the fence line.  The furthest corner post, a 40 year old cedar post....finally rotted till it simply fell over from the pull of the fence.  We have this field split by a electric fence, but had it open this last month or so.  The dry cows noodled the pulled back splitter fence(was rolled neatly back & hung on the 2nd post) & had it wadded into a ball.  Took almost half an hour to get it unwrapped, then hooked it back to split the field till we could repair the upper fence line.  Then I milked this morning, then had herd vet check.  Many more cows pregnant, so the bull is evidently enjoying his job!   Been back-dragging the drive as the gravel was washed out a bit.  Just mixed two 80lb bags of concrete & got a plastic drain assembly concreted in near the patio.  Now I'm at this PC with a pedestal fan blowing on me at high speed.  Sweating like crazy.  80+% humidity & climbing, but should cool down nice tonight when the cool front rolls throught!   :thumbs:   Gonna mow the yard & farmyard area next.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1241 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:00 PM

I hear ya on the humidity!  I just came in soaked from head to toe and I'm not doing anything close to the amount of work you are doing.

#1242 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Rained a bit yesterday, but the humidity is so high the mosquitos are carrying umbrellas! Sure is hard to get out and get to work when it's like this--- I feel for you fixing fence in those conditions.

#1243 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Different world here today!  High might reach 81, and humidity has dropped off a lot.  Been bush hogging (mow-hoggin as my Grandson calls it), and I need to mow with the F935 around the barns later today.  Fence will get fixed another day.  Cows are locked out of that end of the field, so no rush with that.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1244 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm so glad its cooled off, and humidity is gone.

#1245 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I think we got all your excess humidity here. It didn't get hot but man it was humid. Then it rained.