Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8698 replies to this topic

#1216 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:15 PM

When I read that about the studies of Cow delivering more milk with soft music I couldn't help but think of you and this image of you out there serenading your cows at milk time popped into my mind.

I know all to well that listening to the machine and how a different sound will indicate trouble.  When I'm riding my bike I'm constantly listening to the way it sounds. Trouble is it sounds different with each helmet. :wallbanging:

#1217 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yep, and hearing sounds are important in a milk parlor too.  Milkers slipping, pulsator malfunctions, air leaks, vacuum pump issues, and even the cooling units outside.  I hear most anything that sounds different.  But then I can't hear when Teresa says she needs help in the garden or stuff like that....strange isn't it????????   :rolling:

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#1218 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I bet you hear her when she's walked half way across the barn yard from the garden yelling for your help. :poke:

All kidding aside, after spending a little time with the 2 of you, I doubt she ever yells at you.

#1219 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:30 PM

My load of stuff I hope to take off tomorrow, and more in the weeds to load in the morning.  Once I unload at the scrap yard, I need to go by the John Deere dealer for a few little parts for the "newest to me" F935's.  Then right next door is the concrete plant, where I need to get one more of the giant lego concrete blocks so we can build a new ramp on the very first pit we put new walls in.  It still has silage in it, but this ramp will be higher than the others, so silage will hardly be disturbed.  Gotta get it done soon, as silage time will be on us before we know it.  We had 2 blocks left after finishing all the walls, and when I took the last load of scrap, I picked up a 3rd.  Takes 4 blocks to reach wall to wall (24').

DSC00007.JPG DSC00006.JPG

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1220 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:17 AM

Up here it'll take the proceeds of a load of scrap just to get through the door at the J.D. dealer    lol.  Good luck with that project !  :wave:

#1221 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:24 AM

True to this threads title today.  Despite shoulder keeping me awake half the night, I woke up in a "good" state, then when I started loading the scrap, the heat started getting to me, so I started feeling "bad".  Then when the sweat soaked my bandana, and I couldn't keep the rivers of sweat out of my eyes, and my clothes were soaked.....I got "ugly" !!    Had to come sit in front of the fan to cool, dry off, and stop my head from pounding.  Heat index going over 100 today again, so not gonna be pretty.  Shoot, most of our USA is in the same HOT weather pattern, so I'm not alone.  

Hot up in parts of Canada too isn't it?

As to my shoulder, guess I need to mention it to the doc my next checkup.  Been a while without getting good sleep.  Feels ok most all the day, but once I lay down, it starts it's aching.  No comfortable position to be found.  Tonight I'll load up on Ibuprofin before hitting the hay & see if that helps any.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1222 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 02:42 PM

That's what I do B4 going to bed, but I don't always remember, then oh about 1am I'm reminded :-(

#1223 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Those pains that keep you awake are rough. Hope you get some relief.

I have sweat enough this week that I elected to take today off. It is good to be the boss - when Steph lets me.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1224 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:06 PM

That's what I do B4 going to bed, but I don't always remember, then oh about 1am I'm reminded :-(

Yep, finally got to sleep around midnight, then 1:30 my shoulder woke me back up.  I hate taking pills for anything, especially at night, cause that's when I have to take 3 to 4 pills of prescriptions for this, that, and the other.  Guess I'll take my Ibuprofin earlier so it'll have time to kick in before hitting the hay, then take my scrips at bedtime.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#1225 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Sorry Y'all are suffering with all that heat, we had it all last week up til this Monday. Been in the 80's so far this week.  we got another 1/2'' of rain a little while ago and maybe more to come today.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1226 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Took my metal off today.  Got $205/ton.  The radiator I took out of the Jeep fetched $24 by itself.  I hammered off the plastic ends beforehand.  If I had left it in the Jeep, it would have been worth a grand total of $1.33 !  My total for my scrap haul will pay my loan at the bank for the John Deere F935 I bought a couple weeks back.  $520 and change.  After that, went by John Deere for some parts, then to a salvage grocery.  Then to Southern States for some dry cow treatment, and on to home.  7 miles from home I see crap flying in the air behind me......blew a trailer tire!  Dang!!!!!   Pulled into the emergency lane & looked it over & decided to limp in that lane another mile to an old section of highway hardly traveled.  Had to go slow, as the one tire was rubbing the fender & would smoke if I went over 8 to 10mph.  It would be the right side that blew, as the road tilts that way & makes it even worse.  Once on the old highway, I moved to the wrong side of the road to unload the right side some and the smoking quit.  Still drove under 15mph just for good measure.  Made it!!  Got the block set in place.  Need to smooth the backfill down in the morning, and finish framing for the concrete pad.  

• powerking56, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1227 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:20 PM

I hear ya on the heat. Been shaving goats the last two nights getting ready for Fair. Kind of hard to see with sweat and goat hiar stuck in your eyeballs. Tried a fan, but made it worst so I endured the heat. Goats seemed a little cooler with less hair. We pray for cooler weather this next week, over 88-90* becomes murder on all these animals tied up in the fair barns.

Hate to hear your shoulder wakes ya up. I have a bad one too, but not that bad.

Poor ole Cherokee, I've always wanted to build an off road rig outta one.

#1228 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Sorry Y'all are suffering with all that heat, we had it all last week up til this Monday. Been in the 80's so far this week.  we got another 1/2'' of rain a little while ago and maybe more to come today.

Radar looks to be still raining your way??????  Yep, hot as hades  today, and my head is a hurtin!  Especially after the blown tire issue.  All part of life, so just gotta wipe the sweat & go on best ya can.

#1229 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have my oldest Daughter working with me this week and she has decided that College to definitely the way to go !! :D

I have her scraping/sanding the CAT 936 loader down to prep for paint, she's doing a good job and going to bed early last 2 nights. :rolling:

• KennyP said thank you

#1230 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:03 AM

Nothing like a little physical labour to make kids interested in the benefits of book learning  lol. Funny thing is, after the degree, they often come back to Dad to learn how things really work!  Good for your daughter.