• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Can you heat the collar up and slide it on, let it cool then weld it without tearing apart the gearbox?

Kinda doubt I can do that.  It mangled the shaft surface, so better to take it apart, turn the goobers off the shaft, then press it back together & weld.  I'm not buying that shaft new, I do know that! 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1202 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yesterdays score board reads Olcowhand: 0   Bad Luck: 6

First as I've already said, had to put down a cow, second the Massey 2745 on the batwing had a near dead battery, 3rd as soon as I got the tractor started & moving, I seen the batwing had a main hitch frame bolt missing, fixed that, then the batwing mower shaft came undone, 4th had problems with the 10' bush hog twice, 5th, my computer hard drive failed!  6th, got an old computer fired up, then I messed up with signing in to the admin side and got rejected by the server as they thought I was a hacker!

Worked on the computer & sign in issues quite a while, then gave up, but got my email working at least.  Contacted  George & he figured just what I thought, that I got sand-bagged by the server.   SO NICE being back on GTT!  Thanks George!!!!!!!!   Also a big thanks to TD&H Brian, and Wildbill, as they helped me keep my sanity in check!   :thumbs:

Now for today's scoreboard (so far), Olcowhand: hands down winner.  Nothing more broken, back onto GTT, and got the shaft repaired in the batwing!  Got the issues fixed on the 10' bush hog yesterday.  Old computer is working pretty good too.  Humidity is a killer outside today, but survived.   :thumbs:

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#1203 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:39 PM

And the press fit shaft to universal......was just a real tight hammer fit this go round.  So I ground a wide taper on the shaft end, removed the universal spider joint, then drilled four 7/16" holes around the end of the yoke furthest from the U-joint sockets.  Burned in a deep 175 amp weld at the butt end of shaft on the inside of the yoke, then did a penetrating 150 amp weld into the 4 holes to secure that end of things.  Time will tell, but I think it will hold.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1204 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Glad to have you back to the real world Daniel. :dancingbanana: Also sounds like a good fix on the bush hog shaft, should hold up just fine !! :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#1205 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Also Brian, once I got all the shields/etc out of the way, there was NO getting into the gearbox.  This shaft went through the large hollow shaft, out to the slip clutch, then the back half of the slip clutch slipped over the splined hollow shaft.  Easy peazy!  :thumbs:

Cattle trailer hooked up to take 3 or 4 cull cows to market.  This time of year, keeping any having issues leads to losses, so getting some "iffy" cows to market.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1206 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Nice to hear you had a winning score for today, glad to have you back and posting too!!

#1207 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 04:41 PM

The laws of averages always catch up with you, but still a productive day.  Pulled the cattle trailer the 2 miles from dad's to my house.  Noticed one tire low, but it usually is after a spell of sitting.  Once I backed it up the the shop for air, on the other side, I had one pretty low, the other one FLAT!   Went to air them, and the flat one was leaking as fast as I could put it in.  I just looked at the outside of these tires a few months back and all looked good.  The outsides still do, but the inner sidewalls are dry rotten bad!  The one flat one literally rotted a 1" split.   No good used tires around, as we've used them up on wagons & such.  But I had a trailer axle with trailer type tires not nearly as dry cracked as these, and on rims with the same 6 lug bolt pattern!  Now that's good luck!  I swapped out the flat & the regular leaker, so hoping for a non eventful trip tomorrow.  But tossed the aired up slow leaker in the back of the truck, and trailer has a spare bolted to it (has air, but looks terrible).  Threw in a bottle jack & strongarm with socket & extension.  Wanna be prepared if luck goes south.  Now we gotta get a complete set of 4 new tires, or at least very good used ones.

• Craig., HDWildBill and UncleWillie have said thanks

#1208 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Glad to hear the luck turn around a bit. :thumbs:   Good luck with the tires tomorrow.  I would be a nervous wreck driving the cows to market if I knew a tire was iffy.  Sounds like you are prepared.

#1209 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Finally finished bush hogging the hills behind my house.  Ragweed 8 to 10' feet tall in spots.  Been raining too often to get on these hills till the last few days.  Kept having clips break off the gearbox shaft keepers, so finally I got tired of it & just welded on a short bolt....end of problem.  Easily ground off if needing to be removed.  Didn't do much sliding sideways or downhill this time, and what I did was anticipated & controlled.  :smilewink:   Now if it cools enough, we can put the cows out to relax in this field.   Too steep a walk for them when it's so hot.  Before mowing, we wouldn't have been able to find them!   My 3yr old Grandson "Case" asked me at lunch if I'd been "Mow-Hoggin" !  :rolling:   He also calls moles "Mole-Hogs", & his reasoning when asked was that "they are moles & eat dirt like a pig!" :D   Gotta love what little ones come up with.

Just gotta feed silage & go put the cattle trailer back in the barn at Dad's & my farm day is done.

• powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#1210 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Sounds like a good day at Olcowhand's place today, and with Case helping out I know you're having a fun day !! :thumbs:

#1211 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Mow-hogging. I love it.

#1212 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,642 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Glad you got the 'mow-hogging' done! Young minds can be such an inspiration!

#1213 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hey Daniel, I was watching "American Pickers" tonight and they had a segment on milking cows. It said that studies have show that playing easy / classical music while milking produces more milk.  So I was wondering if you got your Violin out and serenaded the cows while they are being milked ?  :rolling: :poke:

#1214 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hey Daniel, I was watching "American Pickers" tonight and they had a segment on milking cows. It said that studies have show that playing easy / classical music while milking produces more milk.  So I was wondering if you got your Violin out and serenaded the cows while they are being milked ?  :rolling: :poke:

No, my cows favor the Harp a lot more than the violin.  :smilewink:   I don't even have a radio going.  I prefer as quiet a work environment as possible, especially in the milking parlor.  After all, much of my other farm work is loud, and nothing I can do about it.  I tried headphones with a Walkman years ago, but sure as I do something to block noise, then I won't hear when a bearing goes out on my equipment, or similar.  Lots of cash can get eaten up while you block out the noise.

Today after milking, I put used a stiff steel rake to clean crud from the 90 free stalls, then put in fresh sawdust.  After that, just a few piddly things, then after that, I started loading my 16' trailer with scrap for the steel salvage yard.  More to load in the morning.  Fed silage tonight, but need to go back out to take the Cat loader back down to the silage pits.  Used the loader to put my parts Cherokee onto the trailer.  Hot Hot Hot outside.  My sweat gauge has pegged so hard it's broken it's needle!

• KennyP, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1215 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,642 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:22 PM

I can understand the need for some piece and quiet. Most folks don't understand the noise these machines make, nor the different noise when something is going South!