• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:05 PM

What's the latest on the FIL tractor? Did I miss something?

He bought himself a new trailer, and wanted to try it out.  Teresa had told him I was test mowing with his JD420, so he brought my 430 back & picked up his 420.   I told him there is more to be done, but he wanted to go ahead & use it till mowing season is over.  I told him I would finish all it needed this winter.  It is ok to mow with as long as he keeps an eye on the frame crack so it doesn't get too much worse.  I'd have rather gotten more done, but it's his, and he said he was afraid he'd break the 430 before he got done with it. 

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1187 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:29 PM

He sounds a bit like my FIL.  Thanks

#1188 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,750 Thanks
  • 2,936 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:18 PM

He bought himself a new trailer, and wanted to try it out.  Teresa had told him I was test mowing with his JD420, so he brought my 430 back & picked up his 420.   I told him there is more to be done, but he wanted to go ahead & use it till mowing season is over.  I told him I would finish all it needed this winter.  It is ok to mow with as long as he keeps an eye on the frame crack so it doesn't get too much worse.  I'd have rather gotten more done, but it's his, and he said he was afraid he'd break the 430 before he got done with it. 

"Break the 430??"  I'm not a Deere fan, but I'm pretty sure you have to work at it to break one!  Is he cutting grass or competing in Motocross events with it?

#1189 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,669 Thanks
  • 3,928 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 12:44 AM

Take it from me, it can be done (break a Deere), but you really have to be trying LOL.

#1190 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 08:47 AM

My Pa-in-law can have bad luck for no reason at all when it comes to cutting his lawn.  Some is his own doing by not taking care of a smaller issue when he first sees it, and then there's just plain old bad luck!  What made him want to bring the 430 back was that it didn't crank over for him.  Was just a battery post connection, but enough to make him wanna bring her back.  He figured it was his "Murphy's Law" starting up again. 

Today started badly.   First I forgot to set my alarm last night, and usually I wake up without it, but not today.  A half hour late getting up, then I have a cow lame, and another sick cow looking really bad.  Lame cow into trim holding pen, sick cow just left in free stall & gave her shots right there.  She's too unstable to try to milk......coliform mastitis, so just hoping to keep her alive.  

Eye doc appointment for me before lunch, then pick up more cow meds, then home to trim that one cow.  Super humid today, so not gonna be fun this afternoon.  Already sweating like rain.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1191 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 01:59 PM

$442 later, I have new glasses ordered.  My right eye has changed a bit.  I figured something had changed when my readers that used to only work well within 2 feet had become good for 8 to 10 feet!  

Got the cow's feet trimmed, but nothing jumped out to say "this is why I'm lame on this foot".  Maybe just due to favoring due to her other 3 needing trimmed more than this one did.  

Too danged hot/humid to want to do anything more outside till feeding time, so here I sit!  

#1192 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:27 PM

92 with 55% humidity here.

#1193 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Here right now it's 89 with 72% humidity.  I got a bit bored & decided to go to the shop for a bit......mistake!  Sweating so bad even with a sweat band, all in my eyes & got so frustrated I almost quit.  But I finished cutting & welding up some milk parlor brackets before yelling "Uncle".  Now to feed silage, but I think I'll wait till I cool a bit.  When it's like this, the cows won't go to the feeders to eat anyway till things cool a bit, so the silage begins spoiling.

• KennyP said thank you

#1194 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 981 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:15 AM

I can only feel 4 you! I can't stand to work in humid conditions period. Listening to you in that climate, makes me count my blessings I'm in a 4x4 cab with heat & air.

#1195 Walkinman1 ONLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 766 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I've never dealt with heat very well and yesterday in NE it was 98 degrees with 93 percent humidity...after about an hour in that unloading my trailer I was so nauseous I lost my lunch. I give a lot of credit to anyone who can handle hard work in conditions like that!

#1196 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Today started on the bad side.  Our sick fresh cow was down, and easy to see she would never get up.  Had to put her down.  The animal recycling truck was running our county today, so being hot, that was good timing at least.  Been a spell since losing a cow.  Dad was using the only tractor not hooked to something, so I got out my Massey w/FEL to see if it would pull her.  Was wet concrete where she lay, so had to snatch her to get to semi-dry concrete for better traction, but once there it took off with this 1,300 pound cow.  Then I hit gravel & spun out.  Hooked my chain up high on my weight bracket & away we went.  Pulled the 1,300lb easily.

May bush hog some hills today if rains hold off long enough.  

#1197 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sorry to hear about the cow.  Hopefully this will be the only one this time.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1198 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Following milking this morning, I went to bush hog the small calf field with the Woods 15' batwing.  Got just 1/2 a round when I hit a low spot, dug into the ground with one blade just a little, nothing major.  That blade quit turning, then I seen the driveshaft was disconnected from it's gearbox shaft, but it luckily stayed in place.  Went to repair, thinking a shear bolt or key gave.  NOTHING to key it to the shaft.  Appeared to have had a retainer clip groove at the shaft end, but no sign of a keyway at all!  No hole or keyway groove in the universal shaft that went onto this shaft either!  Have to find out if it was some sort of press fit.  I did find weld splatter on the universal, but no sign of a weld ever being there.  So I hooked the Massey 1100 to the 10' Woods I just redecked & painted & finished that small field, then another 3 acre patch in the field adjacent.  Exactly as I finished it, one of the gearboxes quit.  Was a retainer clip broken that held shaft in place.  Just put a new one on yesterday.  NO idea what is breaking them.  Wish I had a 6' section of solid square shafting long enough to go through all 3 gearboxes & do away with the 2 adapted short shafts.  The twin square shafts with clipped adapters is OE, but one single shaft would work much better & simpler to boot.  Got a larger field to do this afternoon if rain holds off & I don't run out of clips!

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1199 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 37,815 Thanks
  • 30,371 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well, our model Woods batwing doesn't show up anywhere!  The model number is correct also, plain as day on the tag.  But I found a similar batwing with the same gearbox, and it shows it as a one piece assembly, so it was a press/welded  unit.  Looks like a gearbox teardown so we can get it pressed back together & rewelded.  Always something!   BTW....the shaft section new is over $1,000.00 ! 

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1200 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,577 Thanks
  • 15,425 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear that Daniel, It saves them money not to have to machine shafts and broach u-joints, just machine to press fit and weld. I won't ever build one that way, but I'm not building 500 of them a day. Can you heat the collar up and slide it on, let it cool then weld it without tearing apart the gearbox?