• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Glad you got it baled and loaded out. Nice of you to do the neighbors, too!

Got more involved at 2:30 (the instant I made my last post).  The neighbor's square baler they had about 5 miles away....they broke a tie fork.  Just one broke, which is unusual.  Usually both get broken.  He sheared a flywheel bolt and didn't remember to reset the forks.  Anyways, I went & rolled it for them.  40 something rolls.  Got home late for milking, but Josh had started my night's milking for me, so only a half hour later getting milking done.  AC on my tractor pretty much quit well before I got done, but stayed decently hot instead of insanely hot.  The hay was down in a hollow, then shot up some steep hills.  I'm used to steep hills, so no problem.  Anyway, it's done!  All their equipment is junk, and these are the neighbors from h#!! of the past, but since the old man died, they've been decent neighbors.  Still though, I can't always do things like this, as my plate is overfull as it is.  Hope they can keep their junk running better.  My head is pounding from stress & heat, but unwinding in the house with AC & GTT

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#1097 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Your a good neighbour and hopefully your act of kindness will come back to you 7 fold.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1098 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 02:25 AM

It's good to hear about putting up square bales again, Daniel. The last year we put up hay that way for 80 head of beef cows,  we did 13,000, 90lb. bales with a J.D. 336 baler and New Holland 1053  bale wagon. The hard part was feeding them. I'd toss them over the hayyard fence with a hand fork and Olde Deere #2 would take one in each hand by the strings and roll one ahead of her with her knee.  What a sight!  lol   Every now and then a cow would make a pass at one she was holding by the strings and almost pull her over. And I didn't dare laugh either!   Ah, the good old days. Now I could hardly pick one of those bales up, much less throw 60 of them over the fence to a feeding. Big round bales sure simplified things.

#1099 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Our old square baler is a New Holland 276 "Hayliner".  No telling how many 100's of thousands of hay bales it's made.  Dad had quite a few balers during his days of custom baling for other farmers.  He bought this baler in the mid 60's.  At first he had a V4 Wisconsin on it as he was pulling with a smallish MF50.  When we got MF175 in 1973, a power takeoff shaft replaced the V4.  Dad baled as many as 3,000 bales a day....and that was between milking his cows when I was too young to do the milking.  

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1100 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Speaking of my neighbor breaking one of his tie "needles (forks), I learned the hard way about how "not" to break them.  The neighbor's breakage reminded me exactly what causes this & my learning experience.  The needles are "timed" to the stroke of the bale punger.  What actually caused it to break was the timing sprocket has a shear bolt also.  THIS shear bolt is what sheared during the tie process, then sending the plunger back, pushing the hay against the now stationary tie needles, breaking them, and then shearing the flywheel bolt.  

When I was about 15yrs old, Dad was helping almost full time building our new church near town.  I had to take over most of the farm chores while Dad was there working.  I had to go to Bobby Garrison's farm to bale that day.  Dad never told me about the shear bolt for the tie mechanism, so when I sheared the flywheel bolt, I simply put in another, then turned on the pto.  First thing....a loud "WHACK/SNAP".  two nicely broken tie needles, and my day baling was DONE!  Next morning dad welded them back & I went & finished the field.  I also remembered baling next to Bobby's Honey bee houses.  The guard bees did NOT appreciate me one bit!  I didn't get stung, but I don't know how I avoided it as they were hitting me like bullets!  

Oh well, enough of memory lane.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#1101 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Speaking of my neighbor breaking one of his tie "needles (forks), I learned the hard way about how "not" to break them.  The neighbor's breakage reminded me exactly what causes this & my learning experience.  The needles are "timed" to the stroke of the bale punger.  What actually caused it to break was the timing sprocket has a shear bolt also.  THIS shear bolt is what sheared during the tie process, then sending the plunger back, pushing the hay against the now stationary tie needles, breaking them, and then shearing the flywheel bolt.    When I was about 15yrs old, Dad was helping almost full time building our new church near town.  I had to take over most of the farm chores while Dad was there working.  I had to go to Bobby Garrison's farm to bale that day.  Dad never told me about the shear bolt for the tie mechanism, so when I sheared the flywheel bolt, I simply put in another, then turned on the pto.  First thing....a loud "WHACK/SNAP".  two nicely broken tie needles, and my day baling was DONE!  Next morning dad welded them back & I went & finished the field.  I also remembered baling next to Bobby's Honey bee houses.  The guard bees did NOT appreciate me one bit!  I didn't get stung, but I don't know how I avoided it as they were hitting me like bullets!    Oh well, enough of memory lane.

I love it when you go down memory lane, it instantly takes me back to that snot nosed little brat, spending my summers on the farm, learning what it means to work hard.

#1102 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I love it when you go down memory lane, it instantly takes me back to that snot nosed little brat, spending my summers on the farm, learning what it means to work hard.

Now that part (in red) I would rather just forget!   Hey, did I tell you guys Craig hotwired my 1962 Scout while I was gone?   :mad2: ........I'm sorta over it now though.  :smilewink:

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1103 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Now that part (in red) I would rather just forget!   Hey, did I tell you guys Craig hotwired my 1962 Scout while I was gone?   :mad2: ........I'm sorta over it now though.  :smilewink:

LOL man how old was I when I did that? 13 or 14. Man did I get my but redeemed for that stunt. Grandpa nailed me Dad nailed me by time you got to me there wasn't much left to beat lol i had thought you felt sorry for me that's why you didnt say much, but u did stay mad @ me a while.

#1104 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:55 PM

LOL man how old was I when I did that? 13 or 14. Man did I get my but redeemed for that stunt. Grandpa nailed me Dad nailed me by time you got to me there wasn't much left to beat lol i had thought you felt sorry for me that's why you didnt say much, but u did stay mad @ me a while.

What made me the maddest was the fact you scared me to death....you took it on those steep hills & coulda rolled it & killed your silly self (silly then)!  :(   14 at the oldest I'd say!  Gotta say, most all of us were silly at that age though.

#1105 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:10 PM

What made me the maddest was the fact you scared me to death....you took it on those steep hills & coulda rolled it & killed your silly self (silly then)! :( 14 at the oldest I'd say! Gotta say, most all of us were silly at that age though.

I wounder where I learned to do some of them stupid stunts? Wasn't you though, you always seemed to have ur head screwd on right. I remember grandpa yelling at Uncle David and uncle Marty but I don't ever remember him yelling at you. and that's the God's honest truth.. I do remember though it was you who tought me how to hotwire a car. I won't 4get that. Lol

Edited by BaumBaum, June 23, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#1106 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I remember grandpa yelling at Uncle David and uncle Marty but I don't ever remember him yelling at you. and that's the God's honest truth

I didn't talk back to dad like they did.  I knew good & well when to keep my mouth shut! Even if I knew I was right!   :rolling: 

• twostep said thank you

#1107 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I had to edit that last post 3 times, there working me good tonight. It seems I have fat finger issues with my cell tonight. So over look my spelling please

#1108 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 11:57 AM

POURING down rain & lots of lightning right now!  Just started, but glad to get the rain!  I'm at the black dot.  

No bush hogging the fields this afternoon like I had planned.  Got computer herd records to update.  Vet check tomorrow.

Untitled.jpg

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1109 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yesterday we had wind & HEAVY rain for a half hour.  1 1/4".  Bill came to pick up a bull calf, but said both hutches were empty.  Went down there to find one hutch 20' from where it was.  Wind rolled it there, but left it upright.  Found the calf with the cows suckling.  

Today milking went well, then vet check.  $573 (lots of meds this month)  later all is pretty good with the herd, but about 10 cows have to be turned dry for calving soon.  Just when we get the numbers on the way up, they have to go down again!  Heading to town in a bit for more supplies.  Gonna do little this afternoon while it's so dang hot/humid.  Health warnings out for today.  Gotta heed them...... right!  :D  :smilewink:

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1110 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Definitely avoid that H&H. Sweating to death is no fun.

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks