powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Never a dull moment on the dairy farm,  glad it all turned out OK for ALL of you.  Now go take a ride on the bike!!!

#1067 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Calf was HUGE!  It's a heifer calf too.  Last 9 or 10 have been heifers which is a real good thing being our herd size is down.  Momma is DANGEROUS!  She came after both Josh & I, and she wasn't teasing either.  I just got through the "pass through" between the gate & the barn when she rammed the gate with her head.  A little slower & that would have been me!  A cow with a calf is way more dangerous than a bull.  A bull will usually do his thing then walk off.  A mad momma will stay till she's sure you're done for!

Wow,

#1068 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Actually any mad female is dangerous.

Never a truer statement spoken!

#1069 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:37 AM

I don't often chime in, boys, but remember this. I DON'T GET MAD, I GET EVEN !!    Olde Deere #2

• olcowhand said thank you

#1070 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Today I split sections of metal with my plasma cutter. 1/8" thick sheet I got to rebuild the feedout auger housing on our silage mixer wagon.  It's about 3 patches thick, well, thin now, so time to cut all the patched area completely out & weld in new.  After beating thick rust loose, I see I will need to completely remove the feedout assembly, remove both augers, then do it right.  With the augers in place there's no way to do that good a job, plus the end plate behind one auger is worn through at the bottom, so tomorrow I start on it as soon as I finish milking.  Will take all day to do it.  One auger needs bearings replaced soon anyway, so will basically be doing a complete renovation.  NOT looking forward to it, as I will have at least 2 fans going....hot & humid!  I can just think about going outside & I pop sweat!  I'll try to take time for pics, that is if I even remember! 

Also had to go get our old Chevy C65 2-ton down the road at small sawmill.  They had us a load of sawdust to pick up.  Dumped it at our barn, then took the truck back, as they will fill her back up tomorrow.  Just silage to feed yet today, then off the clock.  

OH...2nd cow this year to have twins last night.  Both sets were heifers!  When twins are heifer & bull, many times the heifer will be barren, but when twin heifers, they are good to breed.  We now have 11 baby calves on milk, with just 3 empty stalls left.  We need all the heifers we can get!

• KennyP, HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1071 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:06 PM

Glad things are going rather smoothly, Daniel! I know farm work is never 'on schedule'!

#1072 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:27 PM

That's cool to hear about more twins. Don't 4get camera tomorrow, B4 & after, can't quite picture it in my head. Need visualization help. No other comment needed. LOL

#1073 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Daniel they were talking about after this front came through tonight that it wasn't going to be as humid for a few days so maybe it won't be as bad as you are expecting.  Glad the herd is growing.  Maybe you'll fill those last 3 stalls soon.

#1074 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Been at the silage feedout frame since 9:30 this morning.  May get it done in time for a late feeding...maybe not.  But with housing removed, we can still mix feed, then pull the small sawdust loader bucket under the feedout door, load up the bucket, then use loader to put silage in the feed bunks.  Will have a few pics at the end of the day.  Gotta get back to it.  Had to come up for some fluids!  Sweating like no tomorrow!

One side is welded in & ready for auger.  Gotta start the other side now.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1075 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Had to quit on the wagon to be sure we had time to deal with feeding the wagon out into a loader bucket. Likely take an hour or more. I may work late on the wagon tonight. Pics once I get the feeding done.

#1076 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well, things have NOT went as planned.  The little loader's bucket doesn't quite fit!  Would hit a hydraulic junction, so just had to let it run out on the concrete next to the feeder, then use either the sawdust loader, or my little Massey's FEL.  Not sure which will work better yet.  I had another issue to take care of before my day ends.  I must have hit the one lever by accident, and I poured hydraulic fluid over top of 3,500lbs of silage mix!! :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   I got that pushed back out of the way, so we'll push that into the manure pit later.  Mixed another load & all is well this time.  About $120 of feed, not counting the silage, or the 3 gallons or so of hytran fluid. :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   I had to come in for a quick bite, as my sugar dropped a while ago.  Partly why I kept goofing up, as I was hurrying to finish before I came in for a snack.

Getting ready to go get the feed into the feeders.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1077 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Here's my wasted feed:

DSC00081.JPG

I fed the feed on the concrete just in front of the feeders, then got my Massey 1655D in there at 90 degrees, and scooped it, then put it in the feeder.  Didn't take very long.

DSC00080.JPG

Ok, here's the feed-out housing with augers removed & in progress on the left.  You can see in the right side how there are layers of patches.  Time to do it right, or at least as good as we can in the timeframe.  The end, where the auger bearing bolts up is rotted out at the bottom.  It's solid at the top, so I'm just adding a plate on the inside just up to near top of the large hole.

DSC00072.JPG DSC00073.JPG

New plate welded in on left side, then auger back in left side, & bad metal cut out of the other side.  This is where we finished the day before feeding/milking time.

DSC00074.JPG DSC00075.JPG

Pile of scrap cut out.

DSC00076.JPG

And the mighty 1655D that saved my day.  The front wheel drive sawdust loader didn't have enough traction when the steering tires got into the soft dirt off the concrete with the bucket on the ground.

DSC00079.JPG

• KennyP, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1078 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just dug through fittings, and now I have the hydraulic hoses on the mixer wagon coupled together for a loop circuit.  No oil on the silage in the morning!  :thumbs:  :smilewink:

#1079 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:06 PM

It's looking good Daniel. Sorry you lost silage today, I know you are getting low. When will you start cutting silage this year? Got to feel good knowing you built such a Beast of a Loader GT to handle the tough stuff !! :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#1080 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Likely end of August earliest chopping, but we may have to chop some premature.  Just have to wait & see.  Yes, hated I lost a feeding as low as we are.  :(