10910 replies to this topic

#10771 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,166 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 06:43 AM

They did come pick up the car for repairs.  Dad called just as I was typing, gotta make a quick run out there, he ran out of eye drops.

How is your dad doing? Seems he's be quiet for a while, had you hopping there for a bit with health issues.

Dealing with health issues with my elderly mom.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10772 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 07:10 AM

How is your dad doing? Seems he's be quiet for a while, had you hopping there for a bit with health issues.

Dealing with health issues with my elderly mom.

Much better now, but he still keeps Teresa and I fairly busy.  His mind continues to slip, but health wise he's a lot better.  Every day he tells my niece at daycare that he has a Dr's appointment that day.

• Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#10773 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 02:32 PM

Took Teresa to Greensburg Dairy Queen for breakfast this morning.  Had to take something for my neck as soon as I got home, but been at the shop since, working on both the John Deere F935's.    Cecil's is ready to go, and the 2nd one is ready to take out to Dad's.  Ordered several Hastings oil filters for 40% the price of a WIX equivalent , and a new air filter for the older F935.  These oil filters fit ALL my diesel engines, Kubota, Perkins, and Yanmar.   

Now if the weather would warm back up to really feel like spring!  I love my shop, but I'd much rather be doing something outside.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10774 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,067 Thanks
  • 6,285 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 04:04 PM

Now if the weather would warm back up to really feel like spring!  I love my shop, but I'd much rather be doing something outside.

You got that right but I think your a lot closer to spring than us. More freezing rain and snow starting tomorrow as two systems pass through here. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10775 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,061 Thanks
  • 46,736 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 04:39 PM

I spent the day outside moving things around for the upcoming electric split. Aaron & I will have our own meter, instead of splitting the bill! New poles will be installed and all!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#10776 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 04:39 PM

Actually, the F935 destined for Dad's place isn't really quite ready.  It needs a pressure washing.  I picked up a gallon of "Mean Green" today, but I'll wait till it's a bit warmer to clean it up.  There is a buildup of oil/grease/crud on the powertrain that needs cleaned off.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10777 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 04:41 PM

I spent the day outside moving things around for the upcoming electric split. Aaron & I will have our own meter, instead of splitting the bill! New poles will be installed and all!

What were your temps out today?  It got up to 55 here, but still felt cooler than that.  Good to get the bills split!  You should be inheriting the old poles then, or do they do that out there?

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10778 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,061 Thanks
  • 46,736 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 04:55 PM

It got to mid 70's today! The old pole is leaning bad and I don't want it. Right now, the incoming electric goes over the house. Not happy with that. The new will be around things. Be glad when it's done, as I think our bill will be less!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10779 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 23, 2018 - 02:41 PM

Started today not feeling up to anything, but finally got out & loosened up.  Got the F935 I'm keeping, and my John Deere 430 pressure washed.  Now the 935 is topped off with fuel and ready for mowing season.  The 430 got an oil change, but waiting on my new filters to arrive Monday before firing back up.  Topping all fluids, oils, and greasing.  Took the deck from under the 430 and using the cherry picker I got it rolled over to the 2 post car lift and it's laying upside down on it's arms for a good deck cleaning and coating with EZ-Slide.  Most of that will be tomorrow. Supposed to rain all night & tomorrow, so getting things in the shop today to keep me occupied all weekend.  

My hay guy Reno brought me over a 5' bucket the other day that fits a skid steer type quick attach that he doesn't need.  It fits my quick attach on my Massey 362's loader, for which I only had a hay spear attachment.  He gave it to me, but I tried to give him a nearly new tire type manure scraper we only used a short time before selling the herd.  Not much market for them anyway.  He first said he didn't need it when I offered it for the bucket, then he was trying to back-drag some dirt yesterday, and it hit him it might be the trick for what he was doing, so he called today & asked if that offer was still good.  I will surely find plenty of uses for the bucket, so was happy to give him something in return for it.

Now to get back to the shop for a little while longer.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10780 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,061 Thanks
  • 46,736 posts

Posted March 23, 2018 - 03:19 PM

Glad you got somethings in the shop to occupy the time. We have Rain chances for most of the next week, so I topped off my firewood containers in case there's a chill in the mornings.

#10781 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 23, 2018 - 05:07 PM

Glad you got somethings in the shop to occupy the time. We have Rain chances for most of the next week, so I topped off my firewood containers in case there's a chill in the mornings.

I got enough done on the 430's deck that I won't have enough in my shop to last tomorrow now.    The underside of the deck is cleaned up, major rusticles needle scaled off, and rust converter applied.  Tomorrow it gets 2 or 3 coats of EZ-Slide.

20180323_1711041.jpg

I had to put a battery charger on the 430 to get it cranked & in the shop.  I put the charger back on to put a slow charge on it.  Then I noticed this battery is 7 years old!  Hoping to get this season's mowing out of it, but it'll surely have to be replaced next year, if not this season.

20180323_1711211.jpg

I can't see the manufacturer's name of the battery, but it's sure been a good one.  This battery came in the tractor when I bought it a few years back.

• Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10782 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,061 Thanks
  • 46,736 posts

Posted March 23, 2018 - 05:22 PM

You're working too fast! Gonna be twiddling your thumbs the rest of the weekend!

Deck looks good!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10783 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted March 24, 2018 - 12:20 AM

You have a lot of nice tractors Daniel!

#10784 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,322 Thanks
  • 31,779 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 06:31 PM

Sunday and today I've been helping out a local farmer friend who raises 5,000 hogs at a time.  His feed grinder guy had a heart attack Thursday, and he didn't know of anyone that could help him for a few days except me.   He said he knew I had experience grinding feed, but after I had ground a few loads, he said "yep, you've ground a lot of feed, and it shows"!   Yesterday I ground 11 loads, and ground 12 today.  I sure hope he doesn't need me very long, cause this is HURTING!  Looking up to keep an eye on the auger atop the tall feed bins is killing me, plus getting in & out of the tractor like 4 to 5 times for each load takes it's toll.  I have to pull up, get in & out at 3 different ingredient bins, then in & out to grind the corn, then in and out to unload. I'm not sure how long I can keep this up, but I have Dr's appointments Wednesday, so a break coming.  I'm gonna help a friend when he needs it, but my body does not like this, and it's telling me so. 

The guy had 2 stints put in Friday and is doing great.  Not sure how long before he can return to his job.  He's 55.  Fortunately he had NO heart muscle damage. 

One great thing about this grinder is it has hydraulic auger lift & swing.  If it didn't have that, I'd do good to get 5 loads a day if I could even stand hand cranking one, which I doubt I could.

20180326_1237091.jpg

At least the tractor is red, different shade from my Massey's, but older to where I can know how to operate it.  Besides old Farmalls, this is the first IH I've driven.  This old 1086 is a pretty good tractor!

He had 13 loads on the agenda for today, but his grain bin we grind from stopped flowing and barely finished the 12th.  He had to be gone today, so I texted him and he said to just call it a day and he'd auger transfer more corn into this bin in the morning.  Tomorrow I should get all the bins topped off good for the next couple days, which call for rain anyway.  Grinding in the open in the rain isn't good, as the moisture will cause the fine ground feed to jam up the feed bins and flex augers into his pig barns.

I gotta say, I was shot when I got home last night at 8:30.  Slept bad from pain, and was really hard getting going this morning.  I got home around 6:20 tonight.  

I just looked it up, and for stints, no lifting over 20lbs for 1 to 2 weeks.  1 week I can handle....not sure about 2.  Like I say, I will always help my friends out, but my body clearly has limits now.  Just have to see how it goes I guess.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#10785 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,061 Thanks
  • 46,736 posts

Posted March 27, 2018 - 05:08 AM