• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 12:47 PM

Just figured out my next project (rear counterweight delayed).  With the pallet forks, it hit me I have an excellent base for a gravel/rock separator for my garden.  Rocks from a former septic field litter much of my garden, making planting and weeding difficult.  Also gravel base from cleaning out the former calf stalls that I put on the garden are everywhere.  Now I can get some square metal tubing to slide over each fork (slid all the way out on each side), then use 1"x3/8" flat stock spaced 3/4" to 1" apart, laying on a piece of heavy flat stock welded to the bottom of the tubing at each end.  I happen to have a hydraulic motor, and a directional valve, so I can tie into the Kubota's hydraulics to shake the separator bed, letting the dirt sift through and holding the rocks.  I'd just till the area well, then push the whole thing under the dirt, shake the dirt out, then haul the gravel and dump into the bed of the RTV.  Repeat till done.  I literally could never get all these out by hand.  I'd have to buy 8 hydraulic fittings, and a LOT of flat stock, plus 4 hoses.  Not gonna be real cheap, but will be worth it.  I might could even use the heaviest expanded steel available, which would be waaay easier!

• Gtractor, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#10487 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 01:30 PM

Just used the hitch ball on the forks to move my smaller trailer from in front of the 16 footer. Then pulled the larger trailer down by the milk parlor so I can start scratching all this expensive paint off the forks loading the scrap steel. Started raining, so parked tractor back in the shop.
  • Craig., KennyP, SupplySergeant and 1 other said thanks

#10488 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 04:40 PM

I take it you are enjoying the forks!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10489 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 05:57 PM

I take it you are enjoying the forks!

Oh yes, a GREAT attachment, and I've barely used them, but already know I'll use them a LOT!  I can't wait to get the rock sifter going.  There is a steel supply on the same drive as the steel scrapyard, so soon as I get a load off, likely next week, I'll get some steel for this project.  The scrap will fund the project, so I won't have any true out of "current pocket" expenses.  The 1st load of scrap should yield between $150 and $200.  I got 2x8 side boards wired onto the inside of  the trailer sides between rains today.

I've already figured all the flow rates of the hydraulic motor and the tractor's flow, so at full rpm the motor should shake the sift platform back & forth almost 4 times per second, which is plenty fast, maybe even needing to slow the tractor rpm.  I tried a rock rake on the garden last Fall, and it just didn't work, but this should do the trick.

Tomorrow morning I'm doing some cleaning of the front inside walls of the shop.  Lots of spider webs to brush down, then bucket washing a bit if I can take it.  For some odd reason the front walls are a mess but the other 3 walls are still pretty clean.  After lunch I take Dad to get his stitches out from his skin cancer spot removal. 

Then sadly Teresa and I will be visiting the funeral home yet again tomorrow evening.  Susan, (Neicey as she went by) at church passed away last night.  I so hate it for her husband Arthur.  He is one fine fellow.  

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10490 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,796 Thanks
  • 15,495 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 06:46 PM

Just figured out my next project (rear counterweight delayed).  With the pallet forks, it hit me I have an excellent base for a gravel/rock separator for my garden.  Rocks from a former septic field litter much of my garden, making planting and weeding difficult.  Also gravel base from cleaning out the former calf stalls that I put on the garden are everywhere.  Now I can get some square metal tubing to slide over each fork (slid all the way out on each side), then use 1"x3/8" flat stock spaced 3/4" to 1" apart, laying on a piece of heavy flat stock welded to the bottom of the tubing at each end.  I happen to have a hydraulic motor, and a directional valve, so I can tie into the Kubota's hydraulics to shake the separator bed, letting the dirt sift through and holding the rocks.  I'd just till the area well, then push the whole thing under the dirt, shake the dirt out, then haul the gravel and dump into the bed of the RTV.  Repeat till done.  I literally could never get all these out by hand.  I'd have to buy 8 hydraulic fittings, and a LOT of flat stock, plus 4 hoses.  Not gonna be real cheap, but will be worth it.  I might could even use the heaviest expanded steel available, which would be waaay easier!

Hey Daniel, do you have any rock quarry's or gravel pits around you? If so stop in and find their maintenance man to see if he has any of the used primary screens out of the shaker screens that you could buy or have. Most of those smaller places will give or sell at scrap+ prices. You can find anything from 3" openings down to 1/4" openings.

I'd look at that before I went to welding a bunch of flat bar together. I had several that I just sent to the crusher a few months ago that I could have given you in April.

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10491 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,855 Thanks
  • 5,950 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 07:57 PM

Too bad you don't live closer. I could get you all the stainless screen you could ever need. They change it out at the preparation plants constantly. Most of it is in perfect shape.
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#10492 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 08:02 PM

Too bad you don't live closer. I could get you all the stainless screen you could ever need. They change it out at the preparation plants constantly. Most of it is in perfect shape.

Ever think of coming to a plow day?   :smilewink:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10493 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:18 PM

Single row potato digger.jpg

How about building something like this. Get rocks as well as potatos lol

• olcowhand, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10494 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,855 Thanks
  • 5,950 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:47 PM

Ever think of coming to a plow day? :smilewink:

I would but too far away for me!
  • Craig. said thank you

#10495 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:58 PM

I know, but would be glad to have you even without screens!

• Craig. said thank you

#10496 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 05:27 AM

I've driven there! Nice 12 hour drive one way! LOL!

• Craig. said thank you

#10497 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,950 Thanks
  • 5,667 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 10:45 AM

Daniel, I will be coming to plow day. I maybe headed out to TMT's home town area in a week or two or if you really want it, I can run and pick it up for ya. That is if you can wait that long until plow day.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10498 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 10:52 AM

Daniel, I will be coming to plow day. I maybe headed out to TMT's home town area in a week or two or if you really want it, I can run and pick it up for ya. That is if you can wait that long until plow day.

Wow Marty, that would be great IF you aren't going much out of your way to do.  I am going to use old parlor grates as a test first anyway, and it'll get the big septic rocks for sure.  I'll get with Aaron and get back with you.

• Craig., KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#10499 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,883 Thanks
  • 7,459 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 11:54 AM

Really looking foreward to your rock sifter build . Always wanted something , I only got a old crib frame with 1/2 X 1/2" stainlees mesh screen that was being thrown out when I worked at the power plant . It's about 34" x 48" I put one 34" end at the edge of th PKs bucket with a chain going out to support the outer end . There's still having to shovel on to it and rake by hand then what's left it's easy to dump . This is only slightly better then my first way which was laying the screen across a wheelbarrow .
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10500 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 15, 2018 - 01:12 PM

Well I'll be!  Went to check the fit of my new 3pt quick hitch to my Cat 1 tiller.  It won't fit!  The pins on the tiller are 5 1/2" too narrow.  So now I will have to weld on flat stock to the tiller, as there's no way to extend the pins that far without it.  And even my Landpride finish mower won't fit with the Landpride quick hitch, but I seen why.  The lift arms were put on wrong on the mower from the factory, on inside of main frame instead of the outside, and one was flipped with the angle down, and the other one with angle up!  Somehow I missed that when I mowed with it last year.  Easy enough fix, but still aggravating.  But at least my rock rake will fit as-is!   And both the Cat 1 rock rake and my Cat 1 tiller are from the same manufacturer!   Once I get everything redone, it'll be a breeze hooking things up.  

Fixing to head out to take Dad to get his stitches out.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks