Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8682 replies to this topic

#91 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Venting is good no matter what you are doing. :)

#92 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:14 PM

My Father in-law said that was the smell of money. Told the Wife if that's the case we are never going to be rich. :smilewink:
Sorry to hear of your being dumped on but I think anyone who has worked around live stock for any length of time has
found themselves wearing the stuff to dinner. Years ago the guy who pumped our septic tank had the same thing happen to
him when he tried to dump his tank. Poo happens but I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt and didn't end up with a mouth full.
A man who can laugh at himself has has the world by the tail :thumbs:

#93 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi Daniel.
I haven't checked this thread for a while. Sounds like you've had another week on the farm.
Once again, after reading your posts here, I gotta tip my hat to you. You certainly put in a full
days worth.
About your chopper, that you want to replace. We all know the old saying, "The squeeky wheel gets greased"
Which is what you've been doing. Years ago, I changed that old saying. "the squeeky wheel gets greased, until
it makes too much noise, and then you throw it out and get a new one." I apply that theory to my customers too.
There comes a point, where greaseing it over and over, becomes counter productive.

#94 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well, Dad ordered a new back feed roller. It's about 18 or 20" wide, and about 5" diameter. $700!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, I think I could make one! But then it is high grade stuff, and has to be perfect, as a cleaning knife lays against it. Good thing the shaft bearings are good, cause they are proud of them to the tune of $200 each!
But tomorrow is my day off, so starting now I have about 36hrs off the clock! :dancingbanana: Hoping to get some GT rear rims painted tomorrow.

#95 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Have a great time on your day off, Dan! Hope to see pics of these wheels when done.

#96 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just had a late evening emergency. Heifer having trouble calving. She's a big heifer, so wasn't expecting calving problems, but guess she doesn't have a good "calf pusher" in her. Had to walk her to the barn & reach in her to attach obstetric chains to the calf's feet & use the hand winch calf puller & it came right on out real easy. Heifer calf was DOA, but Momma is doing great. No pics, and you likely wouldn't want any.

#97 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Sorry about the loss of a little one. Glad momma's doing OK tho.

#98 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Your troubles never end Dan. Sorry about the loss. It takes a tough man to be a farmer! Glad you're up to the task!

#99 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Long stressful day today. Well, the stress didn't start till after lunchtime. I milked both morning & this evening, but hauled two loads of corn to my feed mill 50 miles away inbetween. First load went fine, with absolutely no problems. Came home & loaded a 2nd load. (Used my Massey 1010 to run the auger) I got a few miles from home, and when I approached a stop sign, the 3208T CAT diesel died on me. Ok, a little shot of ether & she came to life. Freak thing I figured (hoped). Got a few more miles & I knew she was down on power. I was hauling 22,000lbs of corn, but usually this engine doesn't give a hoot. Then she started missing. We once had a leak on the fuel line, sucking in air. My tanks were only 1/3 full, so I limped to a service station & filled her up to lessen the lift on the fuel line. Seemed to help....some. Too far to turn back, so I went on. Was rather tricky coming to a stop, as I had to hold in the clutch, then work the brake and the throttle at the same time to keep the rpm's from dropping too low, as that's when she dies. FINALLY got to the mill & unloaded. Idling fine at the time. She tried to die at a couple stoplights on the way home, but power a plenty empty. Home just in time to milk, BUT off the clock till Sunday morning....I hope!
Monday I'm changing the fuel filters & checking all the lines over. The Spicer clutch needs adjusting too, as it's just not right. Easy to feel when A Spicer needs adjusting. I would sleep in tomorrow, but my doc wans some of my blood again, so gotta go in & let them stick me. Hope to get some GT time in tomorrow. I need the therapy! LOL

#100 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Daniel, I'm tired just reading all you did. Enjoy your day off.

#101 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:38 PM

200 miles isn't that far, but when 100 miles of it is trying to coax a sick truck with that load....it seems mighty far! Part of me said to stop with one load, but I had a wild hair. But then the problem would have hit me Monday, and Mondays are already usually bad enough! I won't go again until I get things right with it. If new filters & checking lines doesn't help, I'm afraid it could be the injector pump itself. I hope not, as I hear they run almost 2 grand!

#102 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Enjoy your day off, you deserve it. I hope you get some GT time tomorrow.

#103 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hope your day off is a very relaxing one. Also sending well wishes for the truck to be an easy fix.

#104 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 09:40 AM

What a day so far. You know everything goes wrong when you have things to do & places to go. 2 cows gone nuts the last 2 days kicking like mules (no mastitis), 2 others come down with mastitis, then about 20 heifers ran through the fence last night & loose all over, soon as I got up! And I have to go pot some plants for my Mom, then head to MIL's....then get back to the stupid cattle for afternoon chores. Arrg!

#105 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:01 AM

What is mastitis? Hope it isn't like mad cow.