• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 01:49 PM

Not as much progress as I had hope so far today.  Had leg cramping keep me up late, so slept in once I finally nodded off.  So I have the main frame pretty much done except for the mounts.  After I go out and check on Dad, I may do some more, but if I do it'll mostly be figuring geometry before I start cutting.  My welds have sucked today.  Partly my new welding helmet isn't functioning just right, the rest is just me not being as steady as usual.

20180210_1246221.jpg

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10457 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 02:29 PM

Not as much progress as I had hope so far today.  Had leg cramping keep me up late, so slept in once I finally nodded off.  So I have the main frame pretty much done except for the mounts.  After I go out and check on Dad, I may do some more, but if I do it'll mostly be figuring geometry before I start cutting.  My welds have sucked today.  Partly my new welding helmet isn't functioning just right, the rest is just me not being as steady as usual.

attachicon.gif20180210_1246221.jpg

I have those kind of days!

• Craig. said thank you

#10458 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 03:27 PM

attachicon.gif20180210_1246221.jpg

Let me rephrase that part:  The rest is just me being shakier than usual!   :smilewink:

I visited with dad a while.  He's doing good, just a little bored being a rainy old day.  I remembered to clean his electric razor.  It was so packed in that I don't see how it even turned!  Oughta shave well now.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10459 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:26 PM

Welding for me is one of those things that I look like a pro or look like I have no idea what I'm doing. No in between. On the bad days I had the stinger to someone else!
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10460 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 06:52 PM

I finally got the cylinder tilt brackets done, but just tacked in place for now.  I had no problems using a hole saw to drill out the 1&1/8" holes for the pin, but when I had to cut the relief angles for clearance, the plasma cutter really angled off on the 2nd one.  I should have cut each separately.  So I had to cut another plate.  Then my guide plate slipped one one and ended up different from the other, and the pin is  bit close to the edge, but the pin will be welded in solid all around the outside ends, so won't be an issue as far as strength.  Mistakes like this almost always happen when you work longer than you should.  I knew I was getting too tired to keep on, but being stubborn got me.  

20180210_1650551.jpg 20180210_1809331.jpg

The original cross pieces have to be cut at an angle on the bottom side to clear the quick attach on my tractor, and once I get the lower pin mount plates on, I may remove them entirely.

I wish I had worked even slower so things would look cleaner, but it is what it is.  Function will be fine and that's what counts.  Plus I'll do some cleaning up before paint and it'll end up looking better.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10461 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 08:00 PM

What I am trying to do is get anything built or modified to do my lifting for me, and to make life easier while I'm still able to do it.  I have no idea when my neck issues will get worse, but I figure it will worsen with time, as does my surgeon.  As long as I have ways to continue do things I like to do, made easier, then it will allow me to enjoy life more.  I'm looking down the road a ways, so the road will hopefully end up smoother.

More bad news, a lady from our church is just one year older than me (she's 60).  She was helping her husband work some cows a few weeks ago.  She got grazed by the bull, but not real bad, but enough to go to the hospital to get checked out.  She hadn't been feeling well before the bull incident and they discovered her blood counts were awful.  She was always one to take a pill for anything and everything, and they said this had ruined her liver.  She has had trouble with her blood counts before.  They sent her home with Hospice yesterday, and don't expect her to last more than a few days.  Another close friend's mother just had a stroke and may not recover.  Seems we're going to the funeral home way too often these days.  

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#10462 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:30 PM

Made a lot of progress today.  Got metal trimmed back for clearance for the quick attach, and even got the outer mount brackets for the lower 2 pins drilled & partially welded in place.  Enough so that I could mount it to the loader, and slip on the forks!  It's actually welded enough to use, but it's getting more welds to be sure.  The inner plates for the lower pins are still to be cut, drilled and welded in, so hoping to feel like doing that tomorrow.  I didn't feel like going to the shop till 2pm today.  Everything is aligned just right, and both forks hit the floor level both ways.  I'll likely build a headache rack for it before I finish.....not decided on how to build it just yet.  I gotta visit my metal stash to see what's available.  Gonna love having this for the Kubota's loader.  

20180211_1616421.jpg 20180211_1627451.jpg 20180211_1627561.jpg 20180211_1742551.jpg 20180211_1747361.jpg 20180211_1742261.jpg

Once completely finished, it'll get painted Kubota gray.  I'm going to also punch a hole near the end of at least one fork for a chain attachment spot and for using to park things like small trailers and the like.

Done for the day and fixing to eat some "Tex-Mex Corn Chowder" with bologna sandwiches!   Ummm good!

• Gtractor, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 10 others have said thanks

#10463 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 07:59 PM

Looking good, Daniel!

#10464 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 08:21 PM

Looks great!

#10465 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,513 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:37 PM

Looks pretty heavy duty. You'll enjoy using them to do the heavy lifting. 

#10466 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,179 Thanks
  • 2,256 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 09:52 AM

That is looking pretty good!   :thumbs:   Keep up the good work. 

I used to make those for a living!  Although I had a fixture and prepared parts to deal with.  

It would be nice if you had an Acorn welding table. 

I would love to have one, but they are expensive even used.      Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#10467 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 06:19 PM

Finished except for painting!   That is unless I decide to put stronger hooks on the underside of the forks.  They would do fine as-is unless I put any down-force on the forks.  I'll likely beef this up.

20180212_1650441.jpg

Got the backer rack built and I'm glad I added it.  Much better if I'm cleaning up brush, or larger objects that might go over the main frame.

Notice the hook slots for chains on the center rear of the frame.

20180212_1641121.jpg 20180212_1641251.jpg

I drilled 1/4" holes through each fork with cordless drill, then for the 7/8" drill, I got smarter.  No way I could handle those forks by hand in the drill press, and using a hand drill would have hurt too much as well.

20180212_1715531.jpg 20180212_1745121.jpg

Did ALL my lifting with the cherry picker.

20180212_1607361.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#10468 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 07:07 PM

Now that's working smart! Takes a little longer, though. I likey!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10469 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• Member No: 45293
  • 2,013 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 08:31 PM

That's gorgeous! Also glad to see you are listening your body more.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10470 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 08:41 PM

That's gorgeous! Also glad to see you are listening your body more.

Thanks, and as to the listening....my head is thick, but pain drills through it pretty fast!   I realized I've gotta work smarter and rest more, or it'll get to where I can't do either!  I'd sure be unhappy if I kept on as I was till I couldn't do anything.  I'm hoping to have many more years on this earth, and to be useful to the end.  No guarantees for this, but not listening to my Dr's or my body WOULD be a guarantee of bad things on my horizon.

Oh, and the outer frame of the frame rack is steel from milk parlor brackets, and the center pin is from the old Massey 175 that burned in the barn fire a few years back.  So it incorporates some farm history.  

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks