#10381 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,422 Thanks
  • 1,576 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 02:42 PM

My neck my wrists ,back problems, and my double vision. It  took a long time for me to realize that I'am also one of these guys that needs to do something. I hate sitting doing nothing. I love cutting grass sitting on the tractor with a belly mower , blowing snow with front mount blower etc:[of course a heated cab is a must] is one thing I can do with out having to much pain.Fixing and working on stuff I try to limit the time I spend doing that. It took me quite awhile to learn to slow down and pace myself and do only so much at a time. 2-3 hrs and leave things alone for another day. I've done some work for others but before I even start I always tell them don't expect it done to quick.It might take me a couple days or a week depending on how I feel. This is why when I make and do stuff it seems like it takes me so long. Winter is hardest not much I can do outside the summers are better. I too can only look at the computer so long and it bugs me. I try and pick and chose things that won't bother me to bad and when I do have to do something that I know is going to really make me hurt I try to pick a day that I feel good and give it.Of course I push myself to try and get it completed in that day because I know that I won't beable to tackle much for a few days afterwards.

One thing I find is that especially in the winter we'll get in the car and go for drives around the country just to get out and do something. One other daily thing is I take the dogs for a run everyday in my back property using my Honda Side x side with the homemade heated cab. I also pull a drag around and drag the trails to make it smooth etc:. It's something for me to do rather then sit in the house.This is just some of the things that I do to try and make things more enjoyable. You'll have to figure out something that works best for you.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#10382 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 03:49 PM

The temps came up to the low 20's so I ventured out for a while.  Went down to the old shop and started sorting through things.  Had a trash can for non-metals, and a plastic cattle lick tub to toss recyclable metal bits into.  James' son Dalton brought more hay rolls, so I unloaded that.  Now back inside with a cup of coffee.  Hurting still, but not so bored.  What I did do wasn't physical at all, but helped me feel better in the head.    I may go out a few more minutes, but then again, may not.  :smilewink:

Thanks guys for your input.  

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10383 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 04:21 PM

I didn't mention that I have a real issue with turning my head. I can only get my chin about half way around to my shoulder, either way.  Makes it real hard to see behind me. Guess I need mirrors on my glasses!

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#10384 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,336 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 04:49 PM

I can imagine that the tax situation has caused some stress for you causing your shoulder and neck to tense up more then normal.  

I'm a teacher and I was trying to think of something that you could do that doesn't involve anything physical.  I know at my school there is always a need for people to mentor young men/students.  Have you ever considered this before?  You have a vast amount of experience and knowledge that can be invaluable and a great asset to the right person.  Just a thought.  

Wishing you the best Daniel!

• olcowhand, Craig., Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#10385 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,336 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 04:50 PM

I didn't mention that I have a real issue with turning my head. I can only get my chin about half way around to my shoulder, either way.  Makes it real hard to see behind me. Guess I need mirrors on my glasses!

Ouch!

That must make it difficult when driving around.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10386 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 05:22 PM

Ouch!

That must make it difficult when driving around.

Thankfully, I drove trucks and semi's early in life. Learned to use the mirrors, which keeps my head pointed forward!

• olcowhand, Craig., dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#10387 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 05:36 PM

I still have half decent range of motion IF the pain doesn't stop me, which it almost always does.  Like Kenny, mirrors have become a BIG help.  Now if I just had mirrors on my plow tractors!    Our Mountaineer doesn't have a backup camera, but it does have proximity alarm, so with mirrors and that, I do well backing it up.  I try to park my truck when away from home where I can pull out instead of backing up.  At home I can back out of the shed without looking back, as I know when the area is clear.

I did go back outside again for maybe an hour.  Used my Kubota loader to dump some garbage from the old shop into the dumpster.  I can't lift anything heavy at all into the dumpster by hand these days, so it's "work smarter, not harder" with everything I do.  I'm slowly but certainly learning my new limitations. (CAT should be proud of me! LOL)

I need to weld chain hooks onto my loader bucket for lifting with chains.  I also still need to either buy or build a set of pallet forks for the Kubota.

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10388 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • Member No: 9495
  • 695 Thanks
  • 418 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 06:53 PM

I did go back outside again for maybe an hour.  Used my Kubota loader to dump some garbage from the old shop into the dumpster.  I can't lift anything heavy at all into the dumpster by hand these days, so it's "work smarter, not harder" with everything I do.  I'm slowly but certainly learning my new limitations. (CAT should be proud of me! LOL)

I need to weld chain hooks onto my loader bucket for lifting with chains.  I also still need to either buy or build a set of pallet forks for the Kubota.

Yep, I have started to do the same with my Kubota, And I want to do the same with the hooks and forks also!!!!!

#10389 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 07:06 PM

Yep, I have started to do the same with my Kubota, And I want to do the same with the hooks and forks also!!!!!

I'm gonna use hooks for 1/4" chain.  That size chain will lift way more than I can safely lift anyway.  Chains will be lighter as well.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10390 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • Member No: 9495
  • 695 Thanks
  • 418 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 07:11 PM

I'm not sure what size chain I will go with but it will have 3 hooks on the bucket...

#10391 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,553 Thanks
  • 2,822 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 07:22 PM

Even sitting looking at a computer screen makes my neck hurt, so getting back into cutting decals isn't a great option. .  Actually moving more instead of being "fixed" like viewing a computer screen seems to help.  So bring on Spring! 

Some of you guys have physical limitations either due to age or injuries, so how did you guys learn to adjust to the "new you"?

You could make (or purchase) an arm to mount the computer screen on so that you could move it around, up, down or sideways so that it is at a comfortable height when you are standing or sitting.  Try setting the monitor on a few books (or other objects) first to see if it helps before you spend a lot of time or money making or buying something - no point in wasting time or money if it is not going to help.  Get a timer and set it for 10 or 15 minutes and once the timer goes off go for a walk around the room, house or outside for a few minutes or longer before you go back to the computer screen and then reposition it and try doing another 10 or 15 minutes and see if this helps.  You could start a log on all your pieces of machinery, tractors, trucks etc. and list the filter numbers they take and what work you have done to them and do a bit each day when the pain is too much to do other work.  Just suggestions that you could try.  It is hard to change a lifestyle that is programmed inside you but some of the other options are even harder to deal with.  

#10392 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,422 Thanks
  • 1,576 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 09:33 PM

I forgot about things that I do now like use the Kubota loader and bucket and mirrors etc:. I've gotten so used to doing things that way that It's become the norm to me. These little tractors first the Masseys and now the Kubota have become my lifting helpers .

• olcowhand, Craig. and EricR have said thanks

#10393 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 06:01 AM

I've been wanting to build a set of forks as well for the back of my MF to. I thought it would be easy getting an old set of forks from work, but because there made off steel they always recycl them, so it's turning out to be harder then I thought . Any ideas?

#10394 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 06:09 AM

Hey guys I'd like to ask for prayers for my daughter-in-law, mother of my twin grandbabies, whom some of you met at Daniels plow day 2yrs ago. Her cancer has now spread from stomic through to her intestents and not looking good. Please say a prayer for her, she's 32yr old, married to my oldest son Craig. Thank you.
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10395 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2018 - 10:03 AM

Hey guys I'd like to ask for prayers for my daughter-in-law, mother of my twin grandbabies, whom some of you met at Daniels plow day 2yrs ago. Her cancer has now spread from stomic through to her intestents and not looking good. Please say a prayer for her, she's 32yr old, married to my oldest son Craig. Thank you.

Oh my Craig, we pray Wendy will beat this horrible cancer.  

• Craig., KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks