#10366 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 06:02 AM

Broken soda machine , $100 ,,,, broken BEER machine $500

You can always find buddies to fix a broken beer machine!
  • Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10367 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:02 PM

A pee poor last few days!  First the guy that roofed and sided my house hadn't respond to my requests that he call my tax office with info so I could get him his 1099 tax forms to him.  So I text his BIL James (who has his cows on me) and asked him to get hold of him for me, as I will be fined by the IRS if he isn't sent the form.  Then the next day the guy texted me that that wasn't "our deal", and that it was a "no tax" deal and that he'd never paid taxes on ANY insurance repair work, and wasn't doing this as a business.  Then he said if I paid his taxes on the 14 grand labor that he'd give the info.  That ain't happening!  He went on to say how he saved me 5 grand on materials.  He did not, but rather he over-guestamated the materials, and knocked off the excess off the final bill, which was in the 3 grand range, not 5.  

I'm not sure where he got his idea he didn't have to pay taxes, but it sure wasn't from me.  I told him before he started the job we were incorporated, and had to show where every cent goes, so I couldn't pay him cash, AND the checks (made out to him) he cashed were clearly memo'd to be either "home repair materials" or "home repair labor", whichever was the case.  My CPA noticed the memo's on the checks and commented he had to know.  But I did find his mailing address, but of course not his SS# or a tax number, but hoping this will satisfy the IRS so I don't get a hefty fine.  They will catch up to him I figure.  Stress I don't need.  Kinda been sick in my stomach since this began.  I never even sent him a reply to his texts, as it's pretty obvious it wouldn't do any good.   Seems I fell into some sketchy people.  They seemed great, but not the case in the final tally.

Then for today, which has turned into a fruitless but busy day.  Steve's window motor was to be at the auto parts store early am today.  So I go to get it.  Not there.  Somebody forgot to do the final key-in on the order.  I go home, stopping by Steve's to get his worker David to come get his truck I put the radio in.  Then I ate lunch, and left around 2:30 to get the window motor they went to pick up.  I wait at the store half an hour and it's not there yet.  Turns out the girl took it to their other place of business.  So I go get it and go to Steve's to put it in.  Before putting it in the door, I plug it in and test it.  Sounded awfully noisy to me, but I go ahead and put it in.  It rolled up and down almost twice, making a horrible bunch of noise, then quit.  I take it out of the regulator (which is in great shape)  and try to get it to run.  I had to tap it to get it to work.  One way it runs smooth and quiet, the other direction a horrible growl, then it stopped.   Tap it again and it will turn and growl.  I called the store and they will get another, but I can't put it in till Friday, as tomorrow I take Dad to his dermatologist to get his stitches out, and another skin cancer spot taken off. 

So this whole week has been nothing but stress and aggravation.   Life sure sucks at times, and this week has been one of them.  

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#10368 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:07 PM

Sounds like he may be in for in audit! You did your part.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10369 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:14 PM

He'll get his just rewards. I'd forward the texts to the IRS or your CPA!

• olcowhand, Craig., oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10370 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 05:47 PM

I wouldn't worry about the tax issue that much, except for him being James' BIL.  This will likely create an issue between James and I, but so be it if it does.  I can't control what others do.  It's brought me down, but I'll get past it.  Just hope this guy doesn't start harassing me.  I don't think he needs to push things after him sending me his own words how he's been doing major repairs and never paying taxes on it.  I also have all the receipts for the materials, with his name on them.  He might find these handy when the IRS starts twisting a knot in him!  Without them he'll be paying taxes on all 21 grand of the checks he cashed.  He gave them to me to show to my insurance carrier.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10371 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,494 Thanks
  • 5,099 posts

Posted January 31, 2018 - 09:43 PM

Exactly why I want all business deals down in writing and signed by both parties.  I pay by cheques and note on them what they are for. I issue receipts and ask for them as well, and always note on them what they are for.  Misinterpretations can happen even under the best of situations, but gol darnit I hate the idea of being set up.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10372 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 04:32 PM

This roofer guy sure doesn't get it.  After 2 days I finally sent him a final reply.  I said how I explained to him of we being incorporated, and that I had told him that before he started.  I also told him that was evident, as the checks he cashed in his name had memo's denoting either materials, or labor.  He replied (and did not dispute my telling him I couldn't do any cash thing) that he still would do the 1099 thing if I paid his income taxes on the job.  Then he said otherwise he was not going to pay any taxes on money that I got from insurance and never paid taxes on myself.

I only pay taxes on insurance money if I just keep the money and don't make the repairs, which I did.  HE does have to pay taxes on his labor.  He will getting a partial 1099 in the mail, likely tomorrow.  It may take a while before IRS catches up to him, but they will.  I guess this is why a 40+ year old man lives with his Mom and Pop!

For some crazy reason he doesn't feel he has to pay any taxes on money he makes from an insurance claim repair.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10373 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 04:38 PM

Oh, and after taking Dad to his dermatologist today, I stopped and got Steve's window motor at the parts store.  This one actually worked!  Steve told me he just went through the same thing with a starter from John Deere for one of his large tractors.  His first one didn't fit, then the 2nd one wouldn't work!  So he took it to a rebuild service and for way less than new price got his original starter repaired and it works like a new one.  I didn't charge him anything, as he also is into home flipping and gave me a huge bunch of good 6" thick kraft face insulation in 4' strips.  He even had one of his guys bring it and put it in my shed.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10374 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 06:00 PM

You provided him a 1099 ? Since he is not your employee but a sub contractor you paid to fix your home (i assume your home is just listed as a structure on your farm/business) using your insurance money that you do not have to pay income tax on since it was reinvested in repairing your home.

What he reports using or not using the 1099 you provided him really would have no effect on you right?

You reported that you paid him by sending him a 1099 before January 31. You did your part.

You can wash your hands of it and walk away without any problems correct?

I'm not real clear on tax rules but it sounds to me like you did your part. I can understand your worry about his ethic and how it may or may not effect your relationship with James.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  • Craig. said thank you

#10375 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 06:54 PM

You provided him a 1099 ? Since he is not your employee but a sub contractor you paid to fix your home (i assume your home is just listed as a structure on your farm/business) using your insurance money that you do not have to pay income tax on since it was reinvested in repairing your home.

What he reports using or not using the 1099 you provided him really would have no effect on you right?

You reported that you paid him by sending him a 1099 before January 31. You did your part.

You can wash your hands of it and walk away without any problems correct?

I'm not real clear on tax rules but it sounds to me like you did your part. I can understand your worry about his ethic and how it may or may not effect your relationship with James.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No taxes for me if I spend all the claim payment on the repairs, which I have.    He did get a 1099 filed on him before the deadline.  I had his name & address, so my CPA had to fill in "refused to remit" under his ID number area.   The only way I'd have an issue is if they can't find him in their system, which they will have no problem at all to do.   The most I may lose is a small fine for not having his EIN  which I've read up on is usually not issued unless you are habitual.  Even then it's usually $100, so nothing to break me.  Doesn't matter what he reports or doesn't on his taxes, as there is proof of what he received from me.  I shouldn't have any issues unless HE starts some with me personally.  James' wife is really tight with her family, so she'll likely get hot.  But I did everything by the book, and did not by any means mislead him in any way, and he knows that.  I will lose sleep from this, as it's just my nature to let conflict get the best of me, but I have nothing to feel guilty about period.    

I just now made copies of all the materials receipts that I will mail to him, and hadn't noticed 2 of them till tonight.  He always said he didn't do this as a business, which in his weird way makes it non taxable on his part.  But he gave me a separate receipt for both the house and the shed repairs both with totals for materials and labor with their business name at the top!  It said "Thompson Rentals", but they marked through "rentals".  

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10376 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,927 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 08:05 PM

Sounds to me like he has some shady business practices and this probably isn't the first.

If James's wife gets upset with you because her brother failed to pay his taxes it seems to me like she may be a bit irrational.

I'd relax and let the cards fall where they may. You did right by him and yourself by following the laws and rules as defined. We may not agree with taxes or the like but those are the rules we all have to follow.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10377 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 12:21 PM

I am having a terrible time adjusting to having to take it easy due to my neck issues.  I have always done what I wanted, how I wanted, and when I wanted, but now everything has changed completely.  The last several days have been more painful, so I have been doing far less than I wish I could, and today I am doing nothing, which is extremely difficult for me.  Mentally it's as painful as my physical pain.  It' cold out, so that helps me a little to stay in, but geez it's still hard to do.  I need to find more things I can do here inside my house to keep my mind occupied.  Even sitting looking at a computer screen makes my neck hurt, so getting back into cutting decals isn't a great option.  I look forward to mowing season, as it actually isn't too painful to do, as I now wear my soft neck brace when mowing.  Actually moving more instead of being "fixed" like viewing a computer screen seems to help.  So bring on Spring! 

Some of you guys have physical limitations either due to age or injuries, so how did you guys learn to adjust to the "new you"?

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10378 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 42,900 Thanks
  • 31,942 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 12:26 PM

Sounds to me like he has some shady business practices and this probably isn't the first.

I'd relax and let the cards fall where they may. You did right by him and yourself by following the laws and rules as defined.  

It's obvious he's been shady, but I didn't quite realize till this 1099 issue came up.  His texting me "I've never paid taxes on insurance claim money"  shocked me.   He's not too sharp to be sending me incriminating texts! 

• Gtractor, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10379 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,988 Thanks
  • 47,152 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 01:51 PM

I am having a terrible time adjusting to having to take it easy due to my neck issues.  I have always done what I wanted, how I wanted, and when I wanted, but now everything has changed completely.  The last several days have been more painful, so I have been doing far less than I wish I could, and today I am doing nothing, which is extremely difficult for me.  Mentally it's as painful as my physical pain.  It' cold out, so that helps me a little to stay in, but geez it's still hard to do.  I need to find more things I can do here inside my house to keep my mind occupied.  Even sitting looking at a computer screen makes my neck hurt, so getting back into cutting decals isn't a great option.  I look forward to mowing season, as it actually isn't too painful to do, as I now wear my soft neck brace when mowing.  Actually moving more instead of being "fixed" like viewing a computer screen seems to help.  So bring on Spring! 

Some of you guys have physical limitations either due to age or injuries, so how did you guys learn to adjust to the "new you"?

With my neck issues, I learned how far to push myself on what I do. Though not as severe as what you have, I can tell when I do too much. Luckily, looking at the computer screen doesn't bother too much. Hardest part was just getting to recognize when to stop/do something different. If looking down at the computer screen is an issue, raise it up so you look straight ahead. My biggest issue is overhead/looking up. My shoulders give out real quick when working up there and my neck doesn't care to be bent that way any more.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#10380 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,376 Thanks
  • 10,145 posts

Posted February 02, 2018 - 02:01 PM

I broke my neck 20 years ago. I had a paralysis momentarily afterwards that went away almost completely, except for my right hand. That was fine, that was my weak arm anyway, due to getting my tricep cut clean thru earlier in life. Now I just make sure I glove up my right hand when torching, welding, or in extreme cold since I can't feel it. It functions fine, just no feeling in the first three fingers and most of the palm.

The neck is a bit more troublesome. I have limited mobility. I can't go all the way left, but even worse to the right. Not not even halfway to the shoulder with my chin. That is why I run excavators. Cab is on the left. Right side is the blind spot. Running a dozer kills my neck, their seats are angled to the right. I would say my neck is causing me pain almost 75% of the time. Not debilitating, just a dull ache. I got used to it after a few years.

So honestly, I'm no help. I just plow on. Not sure what I would do in your situation, aside from keeping track of what activity sets off the pain.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks