• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 10:21 AM

Great idea! He could put the easy chair on the scissor lift, kick back and drive around and clean the celling! Id buy tickets to see that lol

Or a piece of pylwood across the top!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#10337 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 02:23 PM

Or a piece of pylwood across the top!

ROFLOL

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#10338 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2018 - 07:07 PM

Overhead work and tractor work having to twist looking behind makes my neck bother me as well. 

Looking behind while on a tractor simply kills me with pain in very short order!  And today I am sore as heck across my shoulders and neck from cleaning the parlor room, but I'm still mobile.  James came & got all his calves, 13 total.  He didn't take the bull as his trailer was a bit full, plus the bull isn't as lame as the other day.  He will have to come get all his cattle soon enough, as I signed a contract for the timbering.  I didn't wait to talk with my neighbor, as the best he offers is 60/40.  This guy timbers for just 12%, leaving me with 88% of the till!  WAY more than smaller guys can offer, and as much as I like my neighbor that logs, ultimately I have to look at the bottom line.  This guy will come to start marking trees next week.  Unless I live as long as Dad already has, I may not be timbering again in my lifetime.  He hopes to get my timber cut & gone in the next couple months or so depending on weather, due to the cropland that has to be crossed to get to it.  He has a lot going on elsewhere, but it's mostly solid woods that don't impede cropping operations.

I got my Kubota tractor out today to move my dog Baby's dog house (had to put her to sleep a while back), then remove the old nasty rooted shrub that shaded her.  Not planning to get another outside dog in the near future at least, so I wanted the area clear to mow easier, plus she had a place worn down that held water.  Got it all smoothed enough to mow over, then sowed some grass seed and ran over it to get it in the soil a bit.  Rain coming tonight and tomorrow, so a good time to get this done.

Then one of my Massey 2745's had a flat front tire, and I got it jacked up and blocked so it wouldn't damage the tire sitting pinched down like it was.  I'll find & fix the leak another day.  

Was hard getting much done for myself today, as all morning was spent with the timber guy, after that I helped James get his calves loaded, then Reno my hay guy stopped by, and before he left, my brother stopped for a while.  I was really craving a cup of coffee when they came, but I had to wait a while...oh the pain! :smilewink:   Tomorrow I promised Teresa I'd take her for a sit down meal somewhere...not decided where just yet.   She never even asked or even hinted, but she deserves it!

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#10339 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,886 Thanks
  • 3,410 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 04:23 AM

Boy with a deal like that on the logging, I would keep my eyes on that guy! Thats rediculously out of balance. At only 12% he isnt going to make much.. Or is he.... . You better do some homework first on him.. That deal is off the scales lop sided.
Do you know how to scale lumber? If not you might want to learn.. or get hosed..
  • Craig., KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#10340 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 5,257 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 06:35 AM

Find a 3rd logger and see what his ratio works out too
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10341 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 09:01 AM

Already spoken to people he's logged on, and they were extremely happy with him.  One example is my former co-worker David, who had the local loggers look at his woods.  They didn't think he'd have more than possibly 40 grand in lumber on the high end before their take.  This guy paid David $63 grand before he cut the first log.  One of my local loggers hosed us bad back 40 years ago.  Thought we could trust him.  He said we had 60 grand in logs, but we ended up only getting 19 grand.  

• Craig., KennyP, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#10342 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,465 Thanks
  • 5,257 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 12:30 PM

Sounds like you already did the homework of checking him out.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10343 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 02:20 PM

He's a licensed Ky forester, more or less a selling agent.  He marks all timber I want sold, and figures footage.  Then he brings in potential buyers, and negotiates the prices.  Before any cut is made, I will be shown all the footage, then paid.  Then the buyers themselves come cut and haul the timber out, and the forester must oversee to make sure fences are repaired, and any disturbed ground is smoothed, grass reseeded where needed, and all laps pushed out of fields.

I did do homework.  Ky division of forestry lists a licensed forester as the best way to maximize income from logging, and to protect your land from damage.  This guy has been doing this for 10 years.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#10344 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 03:56 PM

Hope you gain some income without to many taxes on it!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10345 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 06:08 PM

After we went out for breakfast, we stopped by Lowes to look at the garage floor paint.  Being it will be a while before painting temps, I'm gonna do more research.   When painting concrete, you sure want quality paint that will bond or you end up with a freaking mess of peel & such.

When I got home I finished one of the kerosene heaters for S-States, as one of the wicks arrived in the mail today (working perfect).   Then I put Clint's new valves in his 4 wheeler head, rings on the piston, then slid on the cylinder, and torqued the head down.  I may finish it up tomorrow if I feel like it, but I'll for sure at least do some more.  Lots more to do, but the deeper critical work is complete.  Clint isn't in any rush for it.

Steve called today and wants me to put a working radio in one of his trucks.  It's simple enough he could do it, but hey, I'll take the job!

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10346 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,855 Thanks
  • 5,950 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 10:11 PM

We used 10 of these to do our shop floor at our scraper shop. It's held up fantastic. Been done for about 2 years now. Did the shop floor. Fork lift runs on it frequently. Did the weld shop floor. Did the bathroom/shower room. And did the office floors.

We had great results. Swept the floor several times, mopped it with a degreaser, let it fully dry and the next day we painted. No peeling anywhere. Concrete was very old. Probably poured in the 60s. Still had a pretty smooth finish on it.

https://m.lowes.com/...l-oz/1000201241
  • olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#10347 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 10:47 PM

We used 10 of these to do our shop floor at our scraper shop. It's held up fantastic. Been done for about 2 years now. Did the shop floor. Fork lift runs on it frequently. Did the weld shop floor. Did the bathroom/shower room. And did the office floors.

We had great results. Swept the floor several times, mopped it with a degreaser, let it fully dry and the next day we painted. No peeling anywhere. Concrete was very old. Probably poured in the 60s. Still had a pretty smooth finish on it.

I actually had that very kit in my shopping cart before deciding to research more.  Might be what I end up using.

• Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10348 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,336 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 12:16 AM

I'll remember that when I paint my shop floor.  Thanks for the information!

• Craig. said thank you

#10349 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,886 Thanks
  • 3,410 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 06:19 AM

Already spoken to people he's logged on, and they were extremely happy with him.  One example is my former co-worker David, who had the local loggers look at his woods.  They didn't think he'd have more than possibly 40 grand in lumber on the high end before their take.  This guy paid David $63 grand before he cut the first log.  One of my local loggers hosed us bad back 40 years ago.  Thought we could trust him.  He said we had 60 grand in logs, but we ended up only getting 19 grand.

Very good. Up here they rape the woods when its cut! I hate it.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10350 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2018 - 09:34 AM

No clear cutting here.  14" diameter at head high required for cutting.

• Craig., KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks