• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Not posted here for a few days.  Got half my corn sprayed with Roundup.  It's as if the Simazine & Atrazine was never there!  A carpet of grasses & broadleaf weeds.  Seems even the farm strength has lost it's strength or the weeds are beginning to become immune.  The Roundup still works, so in a week or so all will begin to burn down.  2 fields are a MESS of Johnsongrass.  Roundup always claimed to kill the entire plant including the mother roots "rhizomes", but that was always a false claim!  If it did, I wouldn't have annual infestations when I spray once or twice a year!

Yesterday I used my plasma cutter to cut the blunt end of my batwing mower blades to an actual cutting edge angle, then finished sharpening with a grinder.  Got the dry cow pasture trimmed & it looks like I mowed it with my John Deere 430....real nice cut!  The "Big Dipper" sawdust loader is now out of the shop & ready for work.  Today is gonna be more relaxed.  Mowing the barn pit areas and that's about it.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1022 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Well, It's been another good report from the farm !! Thanks Daniel.. :thumbs:

#1023 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Well, It's been another good report from the farm !! Thanks Daniel.. :thumbs:

Well, sorta.  The corn had a lot of dead spots in 2 fields as it turned wet & cold as soon as we planted those, but we "spot planted" them yesterday.

Milk production is down, and cow numbers low from so many being dry....running in the red right now, but not like that never happened before.

Down to 1/3 of a pit of silage left, so makes me nervous of running out!  I gotta say the pits are ready this year for a good whopper crop.  Love the new pit floors & with ALL the pit walls lined with the huge concrete blocks, that's one thing I will never have to worry about again!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#1024 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Good to hear things are going good today. You deserve it.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1025 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Getting ready to go get more stuff for the patio project....it never ends!

• Team_Green said thank you

#1026 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Relative calm never lasts long.  Still had issues finding seals to repair our main milk parlor vacuum pump.  Well, last night our backup pump started losing vacuum.  Need almost 13" of vacuum, and can barely maintain 10" now.  Bearing place finally located the seals we need, but earliest to arrive will be Monday.  Called my parlor supply guy & they have an identical pump to our downed main pump that we can use till we get ours online.  Dad ran to get it and I finished taking our entire pump off the base with motor.  Heavy beast at 200+.  Pump is off so came this way for a break.  Not much of a break as Josh said the manure scraper push section just fell off!  He's hosing it clean, so I gotta go patch that thing up now.  If Dad gets back in time, we'll get the loaner pump installed.  Later guys!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1027 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Loaner pump installed & working like a new one.  VERY quiet too.  Now we can get our main pump fixed, and also rebuild our 2nd (backup) pump as well.  Oiler had quit in the backup pump, so the vanes are likely trashed in it.  We should get ours going by sometime next week & get the loaner pump back to them.

Richie, the supply guy said these pumps weigh over 250.  I know I was almost maxed out carrying it from the truck to the pump room!

Oh, I also got the manure pusher patched up, so Josh got the lots scraped, so even though a hectic day, it's ending on a good note....and that's ALWAYS a good thing! :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#1028 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Forgot to mention....yesterday Dad got the Massey 2745 with 15' batwing mower hung up good in a mud hole.  Made for a nice spot for a burial after I pulled him out.  Then later one of the slip clutches went out on the batwing (now repaired).  The day before, one of the hoses busted on the same batwing mower (new hose installed now). Been quite busy with repairs lately.

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1029 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like a fun day.

#1030 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Well, this sounds more like a normal day at olcowhand's farm. Glad to hear you have got everything patched up and running. I hope you don't pay for carrying that pump by yourself later tonight or in the morning with a sore back.

#1031 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 04:32 PM

I can feel the back muscles a little stretched, but I think I'll be my "normal stiff & sore" in the morning.  Arthritis had my hip hurting yesterday and my shoulders were hurting all day until I lifted this pump.  Now my shoulders feel fine! Go figure.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#1032 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's a great feeling when you can overcome all the problems a day throws at you.

#1033 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Dad checked out our backup vacuum pump today and other than slightly loose bearings all looked just fine, vanes not worn at all!  He had me come look at it while I was milking.  Hmmm....has to be something.  So I go to look at the PVC pipe going up, then 90 degree & through the parlor wall.   It was just hanging in the hole.  The glue had let go & was dumping the vacuum in the wall.  So close to the LOUD pump there was no way to hear it, and fixed rigid to the pump, no way to tell it had come apart.  Ordered new bearings to make it good as new, so Monday we can take this loaner pump back.  PVC glue isn't what it used to be....another thing to thank the EPA for.  Used to the plastic would actually be melted together by the glue.  Now it's nothing close to that & can pop loose like glue was never there.

• HDWildBill, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1034 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Glad to hear the pump wasn't all messed up. PVC can just be a PITA when you work with it.

• olcowhand said thank you

#1035 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:53 PM

BTW....back is fine today, not even a bit sore!  I'd say the reason it didn't bother me is because I've been doing a LOT of lifting/bending laying the patio blocks & stuff.  My back was used to it already.  Now lift something this heavy when your back is not in shape & you're gonna be asking for some problems.  

• HDWildBill said thank you