• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 06:26 PM

Here is where I ended my work day.  ALL the stalls are out, milk pipelines, vacuum lines...all out.  Now to remove the steel posts that held the head rails.  The bad part is they are 2 pieces of channel iron welded together, and are filled with concrete, so no easy cutting them off with torch or plasma cutter.  I'll have to use cutoff wheels to remove the 8 of them, which will take a while.

20180108_1637321.jpg

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10249 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 3,068 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 07:48 PM

Here is where I ended my work day.  ALL the stalls are out, milk pipelines, vacuum lines...all out.  Now to remove the steel posts that held the head rails.  The bad part is they are 2 pieces of channel iron welded together, and are filled with concrete, so no easy cutting them off with torch or plasma cutter.  I'll have to use cutoff wheels to remove the 8 of them, which will take a while.

attachicon.gif20180108_1637321.jpg

You going to turn the building into storage now ?

• Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#10250 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 08:41 PM

You going to turn the building into storage now ?

The large parlor room, likely GT storage and GT stuff.  The utility room, Teresa's canning room.  The former office...storage for small GT parts & stuff.  The former milk tank room will likely end up a wood tool room, like table saw, scroll saw, radial saw, etc.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#10251 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 09:45 PM

I've been a long time now doing something with the milk parlor, partly because it was such a LARGE part of my life.  We built this parlor ourselves about 27 years ago.  It's become a sad memorial in a way, and time for a change.  Good space, but it's just been wasted since the cows left April 28th, 2015.  Now it'll be re-purposed and very useful.  Gonna be a lot of work, but worth it.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10252 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,649 Thanks
  • 6,130 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 11:52 PM

Good space, but it's just been wasted since the cows left April 28th, 2015.

Can't believe it's almost 3 years already since you quit milking. That just can't be  :(

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10253 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 4,770 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 02:20 AM

Time....seems endless in the passing, but too soon gone.

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#10254 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,417 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 05:58 AM

Sad in a way, but good that you can make use of the building for many different things.

• olcowhand, Craig., Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#10255 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 06:17 PM

Had to run to town to get Dad more groceries this morning.  First we got breakfast at Dairy Queen.  Hadn't eaten there for well over a year, possibly near 2yrs.  Then Kroger and Walmart to get Dad's faves.  Then home to do some more parlor demolition.  Today I worked in the utility room.  Moved the clothes washer and dryer out and into a free stall, then got the vacuum pump stand with 10hp motor and 80 gallon water heater out under the roof overhang of the parlor.  Started tearing out the old PVC water lines that were everywhere.  There will only be one water line now for cold water only.  I also took out some of the wiring that ran to the vacuum pumps, and more will come out tomorrow.  I got tired and called it a day.

While moving stuff out, I heard the cow water tank spewing.  I couldn't get the water valve to move before cold weather, then forgot about it till I seen ice all around the tank where it overflowed then finally froze.  So I had to dig out mud from over the cutoff valve, then made a tool out of pipe to slip over the valve handle so I could really get a stout twist on it.  It popped loose, and now all water is off down there.  Up at our old house trailer where Josh used to live has a leak too, and I might oughta check it tomorrow.  It's a slow leak, but formed a nice large patch of ice.  The water line runs right in the middle of the trailer, so if it needs dug out, then it might be time to scrap the trailer out so I can get to it easier.

I'm hurting a little, so time to watch some TV if there's anything on worth watching.  But the recliner will sure feel good!

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10256 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,417 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like a busy and productive day!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10257 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,214 Thanks
  • 31,437 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like a busy and productive day!

It was on both counts, but I is sore!  Lots of stinging in my neck too.  But I'm excited about the parlor renovations.  The whole project won't cost very much really as I have a lot of "stuff" already.  Gonna be some hard work when I get ready to put in the floor.  Plus I will be filling the "poop trough" with gravel, then topping with concrete.  It'll have to be mixed 2 bags at a time, but I do have a concrete mixer.  Then again I may take the easier route and just lay in heavy plywood.  I could also just leave the steel grates in till I feel like taking on the concrete.  I would like to paint the concrete floors with masonry paint.  Remains a ways off to see whether i do paint or not.  Definitely painting the floor in the canning room.

Loving using my Kubota tractor w/loader.  While I already had my Massey with home built loader, this one is so much nicer and easier to operate, plus a much better seat that is easier on my bones.  The seat on the Massey made every tiny bump drive into my spine.

Teresa had the Kubota RTV out doing some moving stuff too, and that darned right front tire has leaked air yet again.  I took the tire off the rim after finding leaks at the bead.  Cleaned everything and rim in perfect shape and tire bead fine too.  No leaks after doing that, but yet it still ended up going down.  I'm leaning toward tubing it.  I have like 3 gallons of "green slime" type sealant that we got with the large "Gensco" aircraft tires we used on the manure spreader tanks, but hate the mess it makes when you do have to remove the tire.  

My nephew Craig had asked me if I would consider selling the loader off my Massey.  I told him he'd be better off buying tractor & all, but he needs to keep things as cheap as possible.  He doesn't know it yet, but I am considering selling him just the loader.  Then I'd have the extra money to buy a set of nice pallet forks for my Kubota, plus I have a pair of 1655's with 3pt lift.  I could put together a nice outfit for plowing or to sell.  I would hate to see the diesel leave though.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10258 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,086 Thanks
  • 900 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 11:16 PM

Told Sue about the 1655 and she didn't say no, so Ill take it as a yes. guess i need to start saving money, and start sending you checks till you say stop lol

• KennyP said thank you

#10259 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,501 Thanks
  • 1,818 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 11:20 PM

Did I hear something about the 1655's for sale?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • KennyP said thank you

#10260 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 800 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted January 10, 2018 - 12:49 AM

Did I hear something about the 1655's for sale?
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ummm
, I heard family only, and the deal has been done.....
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks