• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 03:07 PM

It's up to 40*F today!  I'm working in the milk parlor tearing out the herringbone milking stalls, and pipelines.  Tomorrow will be temps like today, but rainy (starting tonight freezing rain and sleet till 9am tomorrow, then plain rain), but I'll more than likely be in there again tomorrow as well.  That is if I feel up to it.  My left shoulder started killing me a while ago, but stopping for lunch relieved it some, and I took pain meds.  I bought a new tool the other day to aid in tearing all this stuff out, and it's amazing!  I cut everything into small pieces that only weigh maybe 20 pounds.  I was going to have to use cutoff wheels to chop things up, but I'd have easily spent $50 on the wheels, and risked busting a wheel and sending shrapnel everywhere.  This was a much easier, safer, and smart way of handling things.

band saw.jpg

$99 at Harbor Freight, and it's so easy to use and slices through metal like butter.  Blades are super easy to load too.

James from work brought 5 rolls of hay for his cattle before the nasty weather hits.  He also told me that boss Clint told him that if I wanted to work just a day or 2 a week, whatever I felt up to, that he'd be tickled to have me back.  I know I can't handle all that I was doing before, but once life (and my body) settles a bit, I may consider a couple days a week doing lighter duty stuff.  I miss interacting with the customers and my co-workers.  Most of the guys have stated very clear that they miss me too.  That makes me feel good.

Right now I'm enjoying taking it easier, so I don't wanna push myself too hard on the parlor.  Pain since quitting at work has dropped off significantly as far as the throbbing aching shoulders, but the stinging in my neck has actually worsened quite a bit.  Not sure why, but I think it's the osteoarthritis, being the best thing for it is being active, and I'm not nearly as active as before.

Oh well, about time I get back out to take advantage of this heat wave!

• Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#10232 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 03:32 PM

Glad the new tool is helping with the dismantle. I think it do you good to work a couple days. You have built yourself up to being busy. Just have to keep an eye on the pain management!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#10233 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 06:43 PM

I got a lot done in the parlor today.  Tomorrow I'll take some pics.  I gotta toss a lot of stuff outside tomorrow as I get more cut into smaller pieces.  It'll be raining, but the door the cows used to exit is right there, and there is a gutter catching most of the rain, so I shouldn't get much rain on me, and most I can toss over the railing without even going out into any rain at all.   I'll have enough old milk and air hose to fill my dumpster, but for now it'll just make a nice pile outside since it'll be raining.

Once finished, I'll call my old parlor supply guy and see if there is any market for this stuff like vacuum pulsators, milk transfer pump, milker units, weigh jars/etcand see what he would offer me.  No need in keeping any of it except  the stainless stuff.  I'll keep all of it as it's quite handy to have.  Makes great exhaust pipes for GT's!   I have a lot of 1 1/2" & 2" and a little 3" stainless steel tubing.

A lot of hose clamps, some other style clamps, and misc. stuff I can use.  I'll also keep some of the still good sections of 2" galvanized steel pipe.  There is also several feet of 3" and 5" channel iron I had just installed a few months prior to selling the dairy herd that held the head rails on one side of the parlor.  Just slight surface rust on it.  Then like 25" of 3" round heavy walled tubing welded in places to bracketry, so I'll have to cut into shorter sections.  Always good to have a supply of steel.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10234 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 06:48 PM

Glad the new tool is helping with the dismantle. I think it do you good to work a couple days. You have built yourself up to being busy. Just have to keep an eye on the pain management!

Yes, that's what's so good about just working some at home, as I can stop anytime I feel the need.  But, I am going to consider working JUST a couple days a week later on.

Clint came & got his 4 wheeler today, but I didn't mention working part time.  I'm not ready to now anyway.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#10235 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 07:09 PM

Steve said Friday that he'd be bringing his dually Ford tomorrow for me to put a new rear axle seal in, but with the nasty weather coming, I doubt he brings it.  If he does, then I'll need to do that instead of working in the milk parlor.  Hoping to do parlor while the temps will be warmer, but if I have to put it off and it gets cold, I do have my torpedo kerosene heater I can warm the parlor with.

• Craig., KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10236 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,422 Thanks
  • 3,043 posts

Posted January 07, 2018 - 10:35 PM

I been thinking about of those bandsaw or a chopsaw. I can't cut a straight line with a angle grinder 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#10237 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 01:47 PM

Got a later start due to chili temps, and my not getting my torpedo heater to the parlor.  But I've made a lot of progress.

Below are where I started around 10am, and then where I am at nearly 2pm.

Left side before:                                                                   Right side before:               

20180108_1115411.jpg 20180108_1115331.jpg

4 hours later:

20180108_1313261.jpg 20180108_1313131.jpg

Not sure how much more I'll do today, as my shoulders are beginning to ache, but I will go back for a little while.  Just ate a late lunch.

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#10238 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,336 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 02:47 PM

Good progress!  What will you do with the pit area?

#10239 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 02:55 PM

Looks like a whole lotta cuttin' goin' on!

#10240 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,493 Thanks
  • 1,816 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 03:32 PM

Set the Hogs on the raised areas on each side and have yourself a Bush Hog Museum. It'll become one of the wonders of the world!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10241 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 03:37 PM

Set the Hogs on the raised areas on each side and have yourself a Bush Hog Museum. It'll become one of the wonders of the world!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Outstanding idea!

• olcowhand, Craig., dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#10242 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 04:04 PM

Good progress! What will you do with the pit area?

My plan is to build a floor to make it all one even level. It would make a great home for the Hogs though! I'd just have to make a wider entrance, but no biggie to do. Once completely stripped, I'll give the place a good scrubbing, then start the floor. I plan to build the floor plenty strong, so it'll hold gt's fine.

#10243 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 38,242 Thanks
  • 45,869 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 04:11 PM

My plan is to build a floor to make it all one even level. It would make a great home for the Hogs though! I'd just have to make a wider entrance, but no biggie to do. Once completely stripped, I'll give the place a good scrubbing, then start the floor. I plan to build the floor plenty strong, so it'll hold gt's fine.

Put a trap door in it and have a nice hidey hole for parts!

• Craig. and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10244 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,336 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 04:25 PM

That will increase your shop/storage area nicely!

• Craig. said thank you

#10245 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 41,052 Thanks
  • 31,392 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 06:07 PM

Another project for the milking parlor.  Teresa mentioned it would be nice to have a place to do her canning, especially since I'll have more time to garden.  We decided this afternoon to make the former vacuum pump/utility room into a place for her to do all her canning in.  Water line is there, so all I have to do is drag all the stuff out of there, clean up the walls a bit (slightly sutty from faulty furnace vent), then move the stainless steel double sink in there, drains are already in place.  Then buy a used electric cook stove.  Wiring is there for anything we want to put in there.  I'll need to build some simple counter space, or maybe find some reject formica countertops.  Plumbing will be very simple, as just a single swinging faucet for both sink wells.  She's always hated when canning time comes round, as her kitchen is such a mess for days, and makes it difficult to prepare meals.  I'm almost as excited about this project as my possible "Hog heaven"!  I'll have to also install a power vented range hood to keep the place from becoming a sauna.  There are 2 windows i this room, so keeping the place cooler will be easy, one open screened window, fan in the other.