UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Put that calf on the dinner table. It will calm it right down.

• HDWildBill, Team_Green and Earl have said thanks

#962 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:38 AM

We bought a heifer one time like that. Wild as a deer. About a week wearing a full head halter with a 3"x18" piece of fire wood hanging off a rope between her front legs and she was fine. She walked very slowly, no more running through fences or trying to jump gates.

We had one get an infected hoof. The hoof split and it got really bad. We used a mobile home anchor and the halter to keep her in the pen till the vet got there.

#963 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Dad has started corn planting this morning while I milked.  I'll start spraying this ground after lunch.  Should finish up by end of day on the rest of our field corn.  :dancingbanana:   We had been worried we'd have to replant a lot of it, due to so much heavy cold rain following planting of the earlier corn.  The ground was hard as stone & only about 60% had come up.  We had some light rain over the weekend that softened the ground, and most of the remainder of the corn has popped on through.  :rocker2:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and Earl have said thanks

#964 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Good to hear the rest of the corn made it. 40% loss is not good. Now lets hope the rest of the season is favorable.

• olcowhand said thank you

#965 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Last of the corn ground is now planted & sprayed.  I still have to spray over all of it in July with Roundup, as it's "Roundup Ready" corn.  Had a few issues though.  Some solids settled in the agitator line, so the pump would not mix right off the bat.  Took a while getting the hose unplugged.

Got started spraying, then went to refill from my water supply tanks Dad said he filled up......wrong, not full, maybe 60%.  Took an extra hour filling with water hose.  I hate waiting, and didn't have anything else I could do while I waited, and it was hot out too.  Then in the middle of all this I lost my pliers.  That's the second set I've lost since planting began.  This time though, backtracking led me to them.

Finally finished and came home for a good cool shower.  Tomorrow is back to odd jobs needing attention.  Until major things get completed, the smaller things start piling up, so time to whittle those down a bit.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#966 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:03 PM

You carry your pliers in a pouch on your belt or in the pocket on your pant leg?

#967 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:55 PM

You carry your pliers in a pouch on your belt or in the pocket on your pant leg?

This time I just laid them on the sprayer & forgot.  I just carry them in my front pocket usually.  Lose too much out of a back pocket.

#968 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Daniel, Does anyone Rotary Hoe their ground anymore. That was the first thing that came to mind when you talked about the ground getting so hard from the rain.

Glad you found your Pliers, I really hate loosing my tools, but with other people working in our shop right now it's part of the deal I guess.

#969 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:36 AM

We tried putting a dab of bright yellow paint on the handle of our fencing tools, made them easier to find in the grass when " I just set it down for a minute" disease strikes. Having a German Shepherd that will "go find" helps too!
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#970 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Daniel, Does anyone Rotary Hoe their ground anymore. That was the first thing that came to mind when you talked about the ground getting so hard from the rain.

Glad you found your Pliers, I really hate loosing my tools, but with other people working in our shop right now it's part of the deal I guess.

Hardly a rotary hoe in these parts anymore, but would come in handy at times.  Glad I found these pliers too, as not real cheapies.  A decent set of "Proto" pliers.

#971 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Maybe you need to carry your pliers on a watch chain. People will think you are sophisticated until you pull out your pliers.

• olcowhand, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#972 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Maybe you need to carry your pliers on a watch chain. People will think you are sophisticated until you pull out your pliers.

:D   Maybe I should try that!  Knees are killing me after putting concrete anchors in the parlor holding pen this afternoon.  Besides milking this morning & a little time on my Massey diesel conversion, these anchors/brackets took the longest of all, and were way harder on me.  Back hurts too from being bent over.  Gotta feed silage, and I'm clocking out for the day.

And today I closed a huge chapter in my life, and it is a weird feeling.  After having kids in school for 28 years (& none failed a single year), my youngest daughter Kaylin had her last day of high school today.  Kinda sad thinking about it.  Man I'm getting old fast!

• KennyP, HDWildBill, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#973 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:18 PM

That's what you think, what till grand-kids come along and you will be right back in the thick of things with school again. :D   But If you are getting to be a grandparent and not having to raise them then it isn't to bad.  We have one more year and then I'm hope that will be it.

I hate to work bent over.  It just kills my back so I can sympathize with ya.

#974 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:23 PM

2 more years before Case starts school, but likely he'll be going to school in the next county.  Not sure how that's gonna work out for Josh & his visitation schedule with him.  :(

#975 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Slower day here farm wise.  Just milking & related chores morning & night....on my own today.  But between chore times, got the yard mowed, got sand almost ready to lay my patio paver stones (laying some tomorrow I hope), mulched my blueberry plants, planted 800 square feet of sweet corn ground, & some weed eating.  Bad news is my 1st planted sweet corn died.  I know what I did....too much crop spray :wallbanging: .  Tilled that up & letting it sit idle 2 or 3 weeks, and hope it'll grow corn when I replant it.  If not, I'll have plenty anyway on the lower end.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you