• Please log in to reply
9647 replies to this topic

#9526 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,969 Thanks
  • 2,663 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Pasture here as turn brown. 100 degree days and no rain.

Edited by bbuckler, August 17, 2017 - 09:53 PM.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#9527 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,830 Thanks
  • 3,374 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 05:48 AM

Yup oil and smeg are a common thing on ag stuff....At least on the good ones! The hacks all deal with rust and organic growth..
This year has been crazy trying to do hay.. I dont like doing hay! Logistics are too costly ans time consuming...I just want to do enough for my animals thats it! I had way more time and money doing my market gardens and selling meat!

#9528 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,737 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 06:54 AM

Good to hear dad is doing okay, I guess no news for us is good news.

#9529 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 10:10 PM

:dancingbanana:   FINALLY found someone to put my new roof and replacement siding on from my hail damage over a year ago!  Turns out my co-worker's wife has family in that line of business, so she got them to come out today.  They will be doing it on weekends once they get back with me on the estimate.  I'm sure they will be reasonable, so I can't wait for them to get this done.  They will also be taking off the top of the old chimney and replacing with a metal vent through the roof.  It's just a vent for my propane furnace now, as there hasn't been a wood stove in this house since well before I was born.  They will also put in another gable vent in the attic opposite the one I put in 5 years ago when I resided.  I am SO stoked that I will be getting this done and myself not having to do it.  Physically (and mentally....fear of heights) I just can't take on such a project these days.

This morning before the roofers arrived, I got all my mowing done around the barns & pits, then just after they left I had company drop by, so couldn't get more done.  So just before dark I got to mow around the house.  The last few days there has been a constant flow of people just dropping by to where I can't get anything done around here.  I think it's something about moon change as this will happen for days at a time, then all quiet until the next wave.  Don't get me wrong, as I'm a social guy, but I still have work that must be done.  Today we didn't have any lunch, and didn't get to eat supper till after 9pm.

Yesterday as I was leaving work at noon, a friend called needing some straw bales, so I tossed what he needed out the barn, as we were leaving as soon as I got home to go see about a newer car for our youngest daughter.  Then as soon as we got home from getting her car, my son Josh came to finish working on his van in my shop.  He said he could get it himself, but I figured I'd better help him, and he was glad I did, as he said he couldn't have done it y himself.   Lower ball joint was out.  Was in the shop till after 9pm.  This weekend has been tough on this old fart! 

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#9530 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,969 Thanks
  • 2,663 posts

Posted August 20, 2017 - 10:16 PM

Today we didn't have any lunch, and didn't get to eat supper till after 9pm.

Same thing here today about the time I was going to get a plate someone volunteer me to help a old guy move a piano. 

#9531 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,636 Thanks
  • 6,447 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:05 AM

"This weekend has been tough on this old fart! "

Plenty of that going around Daniel.  It keeps us busy, but tired too.  This past weekend was similar to yours.  Good news about the roof.

Edited by daytime dave, August 21, 2017 - 06:06 AM.

#9532 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,737 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 06:39 AM

Speaking of Josh, how is he doing? Was he able to get a decent job after you closed down the milking?

#9533 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 09:03 AM

Speaking of Josh, how is he doing? Was he able to get a decent job after you closed down the milking?

Oh yes, he works at AGC, formerly AP Technoglass where they make windshields and other automotive glass.  He's been there 2 years and one month, with the 1st 6mths being temp, and now a full time company employee.  I kept him on the farm payroll until he found employment, which was only 3 mths following selling the cows. 

Quitting the dairy has been the best thing for both of us.  Now my neck surgery, while I am sure saved me from tragedy, the nearly constant pain makes me sometimes wonder, but all has turned out for the better.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#9534 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,811 Thanks
  • 8,437 posts

Posted August 21, 2017 - 10:38 AM

I am not afraid of heights, but I don't relish roofing work. I did enough of that in my teens. Many summers swinging at roofing nails and schlepping bundles up ladders. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9535 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 06:02 PM

Got the estimate on the house & shop roof repairs, and it's do-able, so I told them to order the materials.  Not sure when they will start, but they'll be doing it on weekends.  Look forward to closing this whole storm damage saga.  Never had so much trouble before finding someone to do a job.  But then I always did things myself, so never dealt with it.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9536 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,803 Thanks
  • 43,839 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 06:18 PM

Glad you can put that part behind you!

#9537 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 23, 2017 - 07:51 PM

Working under the trucks today greasing & changing oil sure did a number on my neck and shoulders.  Tomorrow is inspection day, so we worked hard at getting as many ready as possible.  We didn't get everything finished, but did our best.  Had to take a pain pill tonight, and I sure hope it doesn't keep me from falling asleep like they sometimes do, but I needed one tonight.  Just couldn't bear it any longer.

Went looking for my pressure gauges, but couldn't find them.   I think one was bad anyway, but the 5,000 psi gauge was good....but MIA.  So I ordered 2 economical priced just to get me through.  One 0-1500psi for GT's, and the other 4,000psi for the big tractors.

We just got 1/2" rain yesterday, but happy for it.  At least the weather has cooled quite a bit, and expected to stay mild for several days.

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9538 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 12:39 AM

Well, less pain carried the usual price....no sleep!  Tomorrow will be a looong day!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#9539 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,004 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 06:57 AM

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place! Thats just sucks.

#9540 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,516 Thanks
  • 30,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 06:03 PM

Today was busy!  Had truck/loader/forklift/spray rig inspections, and most did pass fine.  One old truck is just worn out, but will be easy enough to bring within spec for a while anyway.  I bagged 2 tons of shelled corn by myself this morning, then after lunch with help we bagged 5 more tons.  So I've lifted 280 fifty pound bags today, not counting what I've loaded for customers.  Surprisingly, even without much sleep I held up great.  But I am tired now.  

I took a late lunch so I could also pay my respects to my co-worker's Dad at the funeral home just up the street from work.  I hadn't been in the shop, so I was amazingly still clean.  All were in amazing spirits, but then they knew for some time this day was approaching.  I'm sure tomorrow at the funeral they will be feeling the true shock.  

I need to mow Dad's yard, but I think I'll do that after work tomorrow when I've hopefully had a better night's sleep.  

• Gtractor, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks