• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:09 PM

And you don't have the backup of your Dad going that you once had!

Exactly!  If something critical breaks while I'm gone, then Dad feels like it's all on him, and he doesn't need to stress out, or work too hard.  As far as the milk parlor, we have a backup vacuum pump, the milk tank has a twin cooling system that can get by on 1 system in a pinch, so the parlor isn't a big deal to worry about.  We have backup tractors/trucks/wheel loader, etc, but the silage mixer wagon is one thing we don't have a backup for.  In a pinch, we could rent one though.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#932 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:53 AM

You heard me say this to you before but I'll say it again , everyone tells me dairy farmers have the hardest job :worshippy1: , you can never get a break . Hope it contunues to be a family farm and you can start taking at least a little break

• olcowhand said thank you

#933 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:51 AM

POURED rain just as I finished this morning's milking!  Got soaked getting to the house.  Gonna rain most all day, so gonna be a slow one.  May do some work in the shop.

#934 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:26 AM

POURED rain just as I finished this morning's milking!  Got soaked getting to the house.  Gonna rain most all day, so gonna be a slow one.  May do some work in the shop.

Daniel, please go back out and shut the gate. From the weather report this AM it looks like you are sending it my way. I can do without it for now!

#935 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:28 AM

Here lately it seems like we both get the rain the same time, but today is partly cloudy with a slight chance and tomorrow is going to be our rain day.   :(

#936 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Got Josh married off Saturday, and now he's off till Thursday, honeymooning in Gatlinburg.  This morning has been CRAZY!  Dad went to cut hay with the 1411 discbine...got almost done with one small field & the constant velocity set at the tractor pto tore up.  Dad went to get the part thinking it would be in stock.  Wouldn't have mattered, as after milking I took a look at it & the front yoke where the constant velocity "finger" fits into a bushing wobble joint is all worn away...shot!  I know the parts are over the moon at New Holland, but got online & found a complete replacement, ready to go  for less than parts for ours.  Last time it went out, parts were $1,400, and this entire assembly is less than $800 delivered!  Well, I will have to cut the new shaft to length, but that's 10 minutes tops.  Gotta go scrape manure off the lots, then start evening chores.  Vet check in the morning.  Oh, forgot...new calf with momma this morning is now in the barn too.  Been stuck on the phone half the morning between parts, Dad calling, and Kaylin & Teresa calling.  Kaylin was going for her driver's test & her LF turn signal was not working!  Luckily some classmate boys were there & found there must be a bad wire connection at the bulb socket.  They wadded up paper behind the wires & they stayed working!  Thanks boys!! :dancingbanana:

She went on to take the test & she now is a full fledged driver!  Well, intermediate license, but she now can drive alone.  Scares me, but I've been down this road 4 times.  You'd think I'd get used to it....but no...not ever!  She gets to drive herself to her new job this afternoon, and she'll get to sing as loud as she wants on the way.  She's been wanting to do that for a long time!  :D

Now off to push some poo!

• HDWildBill, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#937 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:43 PM

It never fails! Be one hand short of a full crew & things go South! Replacement parts price sounds good, though no break down would be better!

Congrats to Kaylin. Now you have to give her some space, Dad! I know it's hard, but she has to learn her way>

#938 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:22 PM

I know the feeling about letting them drive by them selves.  Went through it with all 4 of the kid and then with our granddaughter.  The Granddaughter was the worse and the hardest for me to let go!  Guess I'm getting to old!  :D

Glad the boys were there to give her an helping hand.  Like Kenny said one crew member short and all you know what breaks loose.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.  

Oh Daniel we all know you can Shovel Poo!  :rolling:  :poke:

#939 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Milked, and now done with the herd vet check.  Several to turn dry.  That's gonna hurt, as we're already down on milk production.  I've a feeling this is going to be one rough year financially.  Heck, almost half the year has passed already, and so far we should be tax exempt ......we're evidently a "non profit" organization.  :wallbanging:    :(

#940 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Say ol', IF you ask REAL nice, I can tell you an absolutely fool proof way to make a small fortune by milking cows.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 14, 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#941 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Say ol', IF you ask REAL nice, I can tell you an absolutely fool proof way to make a small fortune by milking cows.

Ok, I'll play.   Please oh please will you tell me???  :D

#942 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:57 PM

LONG day!  15 1/2 hours pretty much non stop.  Milked, then got set for the herd vet check.  Vet was running late, so got the hay tedder hooked up, MF2745 pulled out to be hooked to the hay roller.  Vet check finished, grabbed lunch, then mowed around the barns & went to Josh's house & mowed his lawn.  Then teddered the hay.  Then Dad & I took the parlor vacuum pump apart & found what we need to get it going again.  So glad we have a backup pump!  By this time it's chore time again.  Fed the silage & found I forgot to check the feed supplement.  Got that ordered for first load in the morning.  Cows milked, then shot to the field again to tedder the hay one more time as it was still sunny out & wind a blowing.  Time to eat a bite of supper.  Got right up & got the Allis 620 out & tilled the garden where sweet corn & green beans are to be planted.  Got eight 40' rows of corn planted and one double row of green beans 90' long.  Then used the Troybilt tiller to till around the cabbage, onions, tomatoes, and brussel sprouts.  Came in for a shower & here I am on GTT.  Likely call it a day in just a few, as my tail is dragging!  Got a lot done though.  Had to tedder the hay a lot today, as tomorrow we need to get it rolled.  Rain for Thursday.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#943 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:10 PM

WOW, That was a very busy day. At least you got some seat time tilling the garden. You should sleep very well tonight.

#944 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 03:13 AM

Ok, I'll play.   Please oh please will you tell me???  :D

You start with a LARGE fortune  :D :D :D

• UncleWillie said thank you

#945 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 04:36 AM

That was a busy day! Glad it went smoothly!