• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Glad you could get more spraying done. Neat trick on the planter.

• olcowhand said thank you

#917 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Today started out normal, then morphed into a day to put behind me.  Milked the cows with no issues.  Then we got "back" into the Cat 910 wheel loader brakes.  Yesterday we put new pads on the right rear, but halfway through bleeding, the master cylinder stopped pumping.  So while I milked this morning, Dad took the MC apart, but put it back in.  After I got done milking I went down there to find it put back in.  I told him it definitely HAD to be something wrong in the MC, so we took it back out.  It has a weird piston setup.  Actually a piston inside the piston.  I told Dad the inner piston "must" have some sort of check valve, which he didn't take apart to inspect.  Sure enough, it had a foreign object holding the check valve open.  And what was it you ask......you'd never believe it.....a tiny rock!  less a little larger than 1/16".  Well, in the process of putting it together the 1st time, dad thought the one rubber piston cup needed an o-ring under it to make it fit more snug in the cylinder, and when he put it back in it cut the outer edge & ruined it.  Called all my auto parts places....one couldn't match anything to it, then NAPA said they could have a rebuild kit in the morning.  So told them to order it.  Once he gave me the part number, a little while later I figured to look that part # up on their site.....wrong part....at least for my application.  He looked it up by the casting number in the MC, but Cat uses a whole different set of innards.  So call Cat....after a lot of confusion, I have him email the parts page so I can verify the part needed, as they list parts individually, not in a kit.  The rubber cup I need only comes with a new piston, which is $140.  Oh well, gotta have it, so it'll be here in the morning.

By now I have a big ol headache, so 3 Ibuprofin are called for, after spending about 2 hours on the phone.

So I finally got to do one thing that actually goes pretty smooth....painted the JD210 mower deck. Now it's chore time.  While I'm walking to the tractor/wagon to feed the silage, Josh comes on the 4 wheeler to say a dozen cows or so ran right through a fence & are in the back heifer field.  So we finally get them to the barn, despite them being the most stupid animal ever put on earth.  They were acting so stupid it isn't funny.  Also a smallish heifer was out with them, as a few were in heat.  We get the cows in the milk parlor holding pen, but left the heifer in the lot.  I take my tractor on around to where the heifer is, and she went to jump a home built steel gate (strong gate), and she's stuck on top of it teetering!  Why do I farm????????  :wallbanging:   Got her backed off it fairly easy, then finish silage.  Had a cow have twins today, and I put her in the hospital pens.  She gave fits taking her from the calves to the milk parlor, but after back & forth 4 times, we finally got her into the parlor.  While Josh milked her, I filled 2 large pails, one with water, the other silage.  Got her milked, then I let her back in with the calves, and "I think" my farming day is done.....but we'll just have to wait & see if that sticks.  I count on nothing the way the cows are acting!  :(

• HDWildBill, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#918 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sorry the day went South on you Daniel! Cows can be so cantankerous at times. Hope things smooth out some tomorrow!

#919 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Here lately it stays crazy, just not posting about it all till today.  Nothing real bad, just "gnaws at your nerves" stuff.  Josh gets married this Saturday evening, so he's nerved out too, plus his being unsettled affects me as well.  Kaylin got a job at McDonalds, & didn't pass her driver's test, so Teresa has taxi duty too, besides watching little Case.  Teresa is just now coming home from Kaylin's work shift tonight.  I've been busy all evening, so not had anything to eat yet & getting hungry!  Hoping once Josh & Teri get back from their honeymoon getaway that things settle down just a little.  Kaylin can take the driver's test again this Monday, so hoping she passes.  She actually drives quite well, but guess the test got to her a bit.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#920 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm sure things will settle down a bit once Josh & Teri are married and settle into their new life together.  Of course on the farm it seems like each day is a new adventure!  :D   

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#921 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Brakes back to working order on the Cat!  Now to go fix fence.

#922 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Brakes back to working order on the Cat! 

What did I do? No need to slow me down, I'm on a roll!!!!!!  :rolling:

Oh! The payloader! Yeah, that should stop when you push down on the pedal. Good call.

#923 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Wow Daniel sounds exciting. Hopefully things will calm down a bit and you can catch your breath.

#924 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Got some fence repairs done, but dropped my pliers in a deep pool of creek water while repairing a water gap.  Didn't notice till I drove the 4 wheeler out & went to grab them from my back pocket.  Murky & deeper than my arm is long, so came in for lunch.  I'll take a magnetic retriever back to see if I can find them, but I have more pliers if it's lost for good in the sandy bottom.  So much fencing needs completely replaced it isn't funny.  Dad ran fencing through some of the worst terrain you can think of.  No sense letting cows have access to steep woody/rocky terrain.  Soon as I find the time, I am running a new fenceline on the border of the woodline....NOT deep into it.  At least then I can get to it to repair when needed.  I've been tripping over crap/vines, broken limbs all morning and there's just no sense in it being there in the first place.  Where the cows got through was awful, so that spot gets a temporary fence which will block them from that section of woods till I can run a totally new woods border fenceline.

#925 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Daniel, I'm feeling tuckered out just reading the last couple posts of yours.  WOW, never a dull moment or lack of something to do....

#926 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Daniel, I'm feeling tuckered out just reading the last couple posts of yours.  WOW, never a dull moment or lack of something to do....

That is exactly the problem.  I can never truly feel a time to relax due to ALWAYS having worked piled ahead of you to do on a farm.  If I walk out the door with my eyes open, I see work needing done, and lots of it.  Sometimes I don't have to have my eyes open even!  You can hear when things are up with cattle many times.  I've never had more than 4 or 5 days off in a row in my life, and I deeply envy those that can get a whole week off with weekends piggybacked on both ends, and 2 weeks off would be like I died & went to heaven!   When dad was my age, or even younger, he & Mom would take off for 2 weeks or more in his motorhome & not think a thing about it.  If I even mention going to a dairy meeting, Dad starts talking how far behind we are, like I don't deserve the same as he had.  Granted, he farmed the extreme hard way in his younger years, but a guy needs a break!  I don't mean to sound negative, and I am very grateful for what I have.  The problem is the stresses with not much time to get away from it all.  

#927 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Back for a couple more T-posts.

#928 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:44 PM

That's the biggest challenge you have, Daniel! You just don't feel comfortable leaving things to others for a few days. I'm the same way. Gotta have my hands in on what's happening!

#929 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:57 PM

That's the biggest challenge you have, Daniel! You just don't feel comfortable leaving things to others for a few days. I'm the same way. Gotta have my hands in on what's happening!

Actually, it's my son not being comfortable that keeps me tied down.  If something big goes wrong, he's lost at what to do.  I believe he could handle most problems that might arise, but some of the things I take fairly well in stride would stop him in his tracks.  Mostly a matter of self confidence, as he can do more than he thinks.  The problem is I've always handled things.  Would be a good thing really to leave him alone for a spell.  I plan to take 3 or 4 days off for our 20th anniversary, but not sure when.  June 12th is the date, but likely will be later before we take those days off.  

Tonight we drug the street bike out for our first ride of the year.  I had tons to do, but I'll be doing everything starting tomorrow through Wednesday, except Dad will do morning feeding.  Rode 18 miles to a nice Chinese eatery, then took a longer route home for total of 67 miles.  Not much, but considering Teresa & I only put 75 total miles on our Virago 1100 last year, this was a major ride!  Did us good too!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#930 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I can understand that! And you don't have the backup of your Dad going that you once had!