Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8699 replies to this topic

#886 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Sorry about loosing the cow.  The concrete looks great!  Daniel don't worry there are plenty of other things to take the place of worrying about the pit's.  :smilewink:

• olcowhand said thank you

#887 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Easy day today, but not the best.  Found a cow dead on the far side of our dry cow field.  Not near calving time for her, and just 2 days ago I did a check on all the dry cows, and all were in good health.  We had storms with lightning come through yesterday, so I'm thinking she may have been struck.  No sign of struggle, like she just fell over dead.  This makes 2 within a week's time!   :wallbanging:   BUT, called my vet & he came out to look at her, and he thinks she was struck.  So he'll turn it into our insurance, as he has to do that directly, and we'll get almost full slaughter price from the insurance, so at least it's not a total loss on this one.

Too wet to spray the other 50 acres corn Dad has already planted, but tomorrow I'll be able to get that finished.  Yesterday, I told Josh to get the parlor cleaned up a bit more, and this morning the inspector came.  Been 6 months since his last visit, and he comes the day after sprucing things up!  Now that's at least one piece of good luck.  Parlor was in decent shape anyway.  Inspector says he never worries about our place.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#888 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dang! I hope that's all the keel over for a while, Daniel! Good to hear other things are going well!

#889 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Dang! I hope that's all the keel over for a while, Daniel! Good to hear other things are going well!

Has nothing to do with my dry cows, but several cows in the milking herd seem to be slipping on the concrete way too frequently.  I suspect low phosphorous in their ration, so I'm waiting an email reply from my vet.  May be I'll need to have more phosphorous added to my custom feed supplement mix, and I have to order a load tomorrow.  But, I am looking to get my concrete grooved just the same as it's too slippery even if they have a ration deficiency.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#890 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:32 PM

When I lived at home I remember looking out the window and seeing one of the neighbors cows just standing in one place, not moving, and way far away from the rest of the herd. I didn't give it much thought till I got home from school and it was still in the exact same place. I called the neighbor and told him. Before he could get over there the bull went over and pushed her. The cow just rolled upside down with her legs straight up in the air. Hit by lightening.

#891 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to hear about loosing another cow, Daniel.  Hopefully that will be the last one for a while.

#892 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 11:18 AM

No more cows died overnight, but did lose a weaned calf that has had pneumonia for weeks that just would not respond to antibiotics.  For it's sake, I'm glad she finally gave it up.  She's suffered a lot.  Got the milking done, then hit the 2 fields planted that still needed spraying.  Got one field finished, and tank filled for the last field which I'll spray after lunch.  So far it's a decent day.  Gotta milk tonight, and Josh is off tomorrow, so gonna stay fairly busy.  Gonna be a soggy rainy day tomorrow & maybe Sunday as well.

#893 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,771 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Horray for no more dead cows.

#894 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Today I milked, then repaired a sprayer boom.  Had to cut out a twisted/broken section, weld in a good piece, then weld bracing along each side.  

After that i got up a small bull that has had a bad attitude since weaning.  He's just too dangerous to keep around.  At 700lb or so, he can put someone in the grave, and he seems like he'd love the chance.  So tomorrow he goes to market, along with our dairy herd bull, which has grown too heavy for breeding smaller cows.  I have a replacement for him already.  Besides being too big, he also has a bad attitude.  Also have 3 cull cows to go, so my trailer will be full tomorrow afternoon.

Soon as I post this, it's time to sawdust the 90 cow stalls.  Then feed cows and off the clock!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#895 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 02:19 PM

Do all the guys at your place have an attitude?  :poke:

#896 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Do all the guys at your place have an attitude?  :poke:

Ya Dang Right We Do!   :mad2: ......... :smilewink:   Well, the 2 bulls currently with the heifers just chill all day long & don't care what we do.  Usually, once they reach past 2 to 2 1/2 yrs old, that's when attitude comes in.  This young buck with attitude is something I have NEVER seen.

#897 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,572 Thanks
  • 3,956 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 03:12 PM

A few years ago I was helping my FIL on the farm. He had a bull with a slight attitude, made me a bit nervous. When he told me the 12 gauge is right inside the door filled with slugs, I knew he was to be watched. No turning your back to him.

#898 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Nothing like a bull with attitude to keep you on your toes. Seems dairy bulls are the worst 'though. My dad used to have a dairy 'till I was about ten, then went farming and into beef cattle. Beef bulls can be tough too, but usually they're pretty mellow.We still keep a few Charolais cattle around for something to keep us occupied,  lol,  and Olde Deere #2 does all the calving, hand milking when they come fresh, etc. Odd thing is, she has no trouble with the bull at all, claims he knows she's a woman and therefore not a threat to him or his position as dominant male. If I go out there and try to move him around it's another story. Go figure.

#899 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Daniel besides being a dairy tycoon, perhaps you could be an oil tycoon as well ? : )

See the new show called "Backyard Oil" based out of Kentucky ? It's on again tonight on Discovery.

#900 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Daniel besides being a dairy tycoon, perhaps you could be an oil tycoon as well ? : )

See the new show called "Backyard Oil" based out of Kentucky ? It's on again tonight on Discovery.

I've been sniffin for oil, and carrying some metal rods & sticks as I'm going about the farm.  I'd likely just hit sulphur water.  Those people on that show don't do Kentuckians any favors in the "Hick" reputation, but they have money in the bank, and I do not!  That's in Adair county, just down the road where I get my steel.  In fact, I may go there today for some steel strap and a couple 1/2" plates.

I'll be getting these bulls & cows loaded after while, and it makes me nervous.  Where I'll load the big bull & cull cows, it's a narrow alley, so I'll use a "push tractor" so they'll have no place to go other than the trailer, unless they decide to jump the rails!

• HDWildBill said thank you