• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Daniel, you left out my favorite crap que.

After they graze in the fresh pasture for a couple of days, they wait until you're in the "splash zone" behind them and then they cough.

Maybe my mind deliberately caused me to forget that one! LOL Yes, "projectile poop" can go 12' or even further! You do NOT want to be in the gunsights of such a cow!

#77 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:45 PM

How about a well coated tail in the face when you go in wit a milker? Or are you out of reach in a parlor?
Shorty

#78 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:53 PM

How about a well coated tail in the face when you go in wit a milker? Or are you out of reach in a parlor?
Shorty

I've had far too many of those, including a cut eyeball from that coarse tail hair. I bob the tails on my heifers when young.

#79 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 05:36 PM

I've not been posting as much the last few days. Been awfully busy repairing things, and getting ready to chop haylage. Started chopping today but quickly ran into problems. So we dropped the hay header off the chopper to go over the feeder rolls. Got a lot done this afternoon, but will take most of the morning to finish. Luckily we only have 15 more acres to be chopped, so if all goes well, we'll finish tomorrow afternoon. But the hay is cranking up allergies, and my sinus are cranked up as well. Gotta go mow my yard now. See you guys in a while.

#80 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Daniel, here is something you can check oout when your having a bad day. Maybe it will make it seem not as bad.

http://xa.yimg.com/k...g_a_Bad_Day.pdf

#81 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Been working on the chopper, mowing yard, then last, gardening. Just came in from a 14hr day. Doing the gardening last is good for the soul!
Anyway, the chopper's problem is in the top forward feed roll. Any long grass, or wheat will cling & wrap up so quick that it will jam the rollers & break shear bolts before you can respond. As looking at it, the left side of the roll always starts the wrap. It should have a rolled lip on both ends, but the roll is worn completely away on the left, which left a place for long grasses to get caught in, starting the mess. So tomorrow morning, I'm welding a 1/4" rod to the edge of the roller. This will renew the edge like it should be. Also, this chopper is used exclusively for hay or wheat, so we did not need the aggressive teeth, which I believe increases the wrapping problem. The teeth are very important for corn silage, but our newer chopper does all our corn silage. So I used my plasma cutter to slice the toothed edges off. Tomorrow the rough edges get smoothed & rounded with an angle grinder. The end plates next to the rollers were all bent out of place too, but they are now pretty much correct, just a little more tweaking needed tomorrow.

DSC00803.JPG DSC00805.JPG

#82 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 08:07 PM

Daniel, here is something you can check oout when your having a bad day. Maybe it will make it seem not as bad.

http://xa.yimg.com/k...a_Bad_Day%2Epdf

Those pictures really make farming look hard on the sanity levels. Hope nothing like that happens on your farm.

#83 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 08:22 PM

No shorty, I've never hung one up that bad! But it's a driver's own fault when they do get stuck. I've not often had to even get pulled out. If you are stuck, spinning wheels just sinks you worse. And almost always it's because of the implement behind you. Usually when I had problems, I was pulling our 18' disc. I would simply raise the disc wheels all the way up, then put in the lock pin so I could relieve the pressure on the hoses, then unhook the disc. Almost always the tractor would pull itself right on out, no problem. Then I'd use a chain to pull the disc out backwards. Re-hook, & go back to work. Hardly ever get stuck anymore, as we do almost all no-till, which leaves the ground much more stable.
Last year, when it rained all spring, for the 1st time ever I had to hire my spraying done, and the fertilize spreading. Terry, our COOP truck driver sure hung his spreader truck on us. Buried part of the frame even. I couldn't budge him, so he had to call in the big boys.

They broke the cable at least 3 times. Finally they got it out, but just as they did, I went to un-pause my camera, and it had auto shut off! They pulled it out before I could get my camera back online.
  • HowardsMF155, shorty and JRJ have said thanks

#84 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Well, it's gonna get crazy tomorrow morning. I have the chopper to finish after milking, and now I have a guy coming after his 80 rolls of hay we sold him over 2 months ago. He's been trying to come get it, but his truck rear went out, and he's been pulling 14hr work days at his public job. He lined up 2 other truck/trailers besides his own (finally got his truck going) and called tonight to let me know he'd be here at 9am. Being one of his guys had to take the day off work to help him, I told him to come on. I'll get up early to milk, then get the plastic & tires off the hay. I called Josh to let him know he'd have to load the hay for them at 9. I'll get started on the chopper while they load. Dad & I can get the silage in without Josh's help till he gets them loaded. The only real problem is parking their trailers to where we can get the chopper hooked back to the silage dump wagon. 3 large trailers will block our entire driveway. Thank goodness the milk truck doesn't pick up until Saturday, as we're on every other day pickup.

#85 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Got the chopper finished (so we thought), and the man's hay rolls loaded & gone. Chopped a couple hours this morning & she worked perfect! The newly designed roller did just fine. No wrapping at all. BUT, after lunch we could not get it to chop without stopping up again, but this time not the roller we repaired. The rear bottom roller has worn clean through and is snagging the hay. So now I have to tedder the windrows so we can rake & roll bale what is left. Quite a job putting in a new roller. I'm getting tired of dealing with this worn out piece of equipment. If it were left up to me, it would be history & we'd get a new head for our new chopper. This thing is a time/money killer. But Dad always wants to patch it up. Patching doesn't work. Something like this either has to be fixed right, or junked out. Thanks for listening to my rant. I gotta get back out the door.
Anyone interested in a good old silage chopper?? LOL

#86 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Some times, repairs can only fix things for a bit. Sounds like this is more of a headache than a help!

#87 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Decided to take my little spray rig behind the 4 wheeler & hit the thistle in the back field while Josh finished teddering the hay. Dang if the spray handle didn't mess up too! I got it back together (a part threaded itself off), but now it leaks. Got most of the thistle sprayed anyway. I'm taking a break before milking time. I don't wanna break anything else.

#88 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Anyone interested in a good old silage chopper?? LOL

I wouldn't have a clue on how to use it. :laughingteeth: I really do enjoy reading how life is on the farm.

When something get's stuck like that truck doesn't that mess up the crops? Would it have been possible to take the big tractor and pick up the rear end of the truck and put something under where it was stuck?

#89 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 02:33 PM

The fertilize body is in the way of access to any part of the frame to get a safe lift on the back end of the truck, but if there was an access point, that would work, except for he had over 10,000lbs of load still in the bed.

#90 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 02:37 PM

I've never done anything else besides farm all my life, but I'd think farming is much like any other job.....if something can go wrong....it will, and does. I know you guys have awful days just the same as I do. Mostly I enjoy posting about it because most of you do find it interesting, and often funny. And I also get to vent a bit when things get stupid.
  • HDWildBill said thank you