• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yep, Spring made it to Kentucky!  Every once in a while, Daniel, take a deep breath, will ya!

• olcowhand said thank you

#872 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm sure glad your in your SLOW time right now. :poke: Not sure how you do it all, but I got tired just reading the last few days posts. :D

Good Luck tomorrow with the finish crew, I hope they all show up and let you get your other stuff done ! :thumbs:

#873 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 05:34 PM

If ya have nay left over concrete send some my way. LOL

#874 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Really it's not been THAT busy.  Things can get real crazy at times, but right now things are going smooth.  BUT, the dang Massey 285 is at it again!  After splitting the tractor to repair the trans, now it seems the rear main on the engine is leaking!  :wallbanging:   Soon as I have time, I'll pull the inspection plate off to see if I can see exactly where it's coming from. Doesn't really matter though, as it'll have to come apart to fix no matter what it is.  Could be a loose bolt on the seal plate, but doubt I could tighten through the inspection hole anyway.  It'll keep for now though and we'll get to it when we get to it.  :D

• oldedeeres said thank you

#875 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Good to hear the smooth part. But that 285 just put a snag in things. Never fun to split one. Too bad that didn't show up when you had it apart.

#876 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Cow nearly down with coliform mastitis.  Got her through the parlor though to confirm coliform.  Got her treated heavy.  If ashe's alive in the morning, she'll make it.  Coliform mastitis is some nasty stuff.  Sometimes kills within 12 hours!  Concrete is here & he has plenty of crew.  On 2nd load now.  Gotta go sweep where Dad loaded silage this morning, then drive some pegs for edge wall.

#877 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:13 AM

So much for things going "smooth".  A dry cow that was sick at dry off is now down.  Likely won't make it.  I think she too has coliform mastitis.  Seems every spring once it warms, this rears it's head.  She is heavily treated, as the other one, but this one......

The concrete guys are kicking butt and doing a great job.  But all the low eroded spots is taking far more concrete than anticipated, as it was nearly impossible to figure how much more the low areas would take.  Instead of 80 yards, we're looking at maybe 120 yards!  Just another $4500!  :wallbanging:

Oh well, it is what it is, and has to be done.  I'm off to spray fields while they finish the concrete.

#878 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:10 AM

40 extra yards ? Yikes !! Guess you won't be shipping any extra to Mr. Warwagon.

#879 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:48 PM

40 extra yards ? Yikes !! Guess you won't be shipping any extra to Mr. Warwagon.

140 yards, so 60 yards more than Dad had figured!  And liked 10' making it to the old edge.  But in all fairness, he couldn't judge the low spots, plus I thought he figured it on 4" thick, but he did it on 3 1/2".  But it's thicker and stronger than ever.  Just too many low areas, and the original floor was way off from level.  This time it was done right.  Sometimes it just costs money trying to save money.  

To put it into perspective, my health insurance for just one year ($16,200.00) costs two grand more than what this concrete cost me ($14,170.08), and it will last 30+ years!  Rain is inching closer, so they will come back tomorrow & put the sealer on if the rain passes in time.

One of my cows died today, but the other looks good at this point.  She was standing in the lot with the other cows, and chewing her cud.  I think she will make it.  I'll post some pics of the concrete later today.   

#880 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Here's some assorted views of the new concrete pour.  

DSC00630.JPG DSC00631.JPG DSC00632.JPG DSC00633.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#881 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Doesn't look like you have very much silage left for this summer, do you have enough to get you to first cutting?

Those pits look great and should do you well for the rest of your farming life Daniel !! Very Nice !! :thumbs:

#882 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Concrete looks good. Sorry about the cow.

#883 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Doesn't look like you have very much silage left for this summer, do you have enough to get you to first cutting?

Those pits look great and should do you well for the rest of your farming life Daniel !! Very Nice !! :thumbs:

We'll be running near empty by the time we start chopping corn.  We started planting yesterday.  Pasture is coming along great, so I stopped feeding silage to all the heifers several days ago.  We have plenty of hay to supplement if things get real low with silage.  I hope it runs close though, as this pit needs to be emptied due to the last 1/4 of it is from our 2011 crop.

Yep, I am almost finished for life as far as silage pit repairs go.  But this summer we will be setting 4 more giant lego blocks to put a solid ramp up at the top end of this one like we did the other 2 pits.  Once that is done, no more pit repair for me.  That is a good feeling in one way, but kinda eerie in another!  It's kinda strange when you can say "that'll be the last time in my life"  pertaining to anything.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#884 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Sorry for the loss of the cow! Pits look great, though! Put it this way Daniel! One less thing to worry about for a long time! Now, lets a pray for a bumper corn crop to get them filled!

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#885 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Now, lets a pray for a bumper corn crop to get them filled!

You got that right!  With high grain prices, we can't take a beating buying grain a 3rd year in a row!  This past year was the worst as far as grain costs.  Normally in a decent to good year, we raise nearly or all the grain we feed.  Been quite a while since we've had that kind of a crop year though.  Got to do some dehorning & vaccinations today.  No outside work....raining cats & dogs out!