• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Bull is penned.  I think I could have walked beside him.  He's never minded me in any way, but then he IS a bull, so no taking foolish chances.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8492 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,088 Thanks
  • 4,151 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 10:34 AM

I think my bull will be going next spring when people will be looking to buy herd sires. When we ran 30-40 cows he had enough to do, but now that I'm down to only 10, he's getting possessive of them. I guess he figures that when there were lots he could afford to lose a few. Now he's pretty suspicious when I pen them up. It's time I switched up bloodlines anyway since I've kept a couple of his daughters over.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#8493 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:42 AM

Waiting on my Brad's son Mason to pick up the heifers.  In the meantime, I got one of the 2 water line issues fully repaired, and will backfill when I leave this computer chair.  I'll pick up a new frostproof hydrant and fittings at work tomorrow, and if they don't call me in to work Wednesday, I'll get the other water line all buttoned up as well.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#8494 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:44 AM

I think my bull will be going next spring when people will be looking to buy herd sires. When we ran 30-40 cows he had enough to do, but now that I'm down to only 10, he's getting possessive of them. I guess he figures that when there were lots he could afford to lose a few. Now he's pretty suspicious when I pen them up. It's time I switched up bloodlines anyway since I've kept a couple of his daughters over.

This bull is kinda the same, after getting down to 13, and his job duties all fulfilled.  He'll be getting 13 more soon, either tonight or Wednesday.  

#8495 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,088 Thanks
  • 4,151 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:49 AM

He'll be a happy boy!
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#8496 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 01:05 PM

He'll be a happy boy!

YES he will be....there's a couple in heat now!

#8497 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Wow, what a busy day!  After Mason picked up the 13 heifers, Teresa got home from grading apples.  We took a few minutes for her to chill, then went to move the open heifers to the bull.  These have never seen concrete, so when they got up to the old cow lot, they refused to go onto the concrete.  They went back & forth quite a few times.  Then I tossed some feed onto the concrete, and they reluctantly went onto the concrete, then through the barn down to the bull.  I'm leaving them up a day or 2 to chill before letting them out to the back 40 pasture.   My brother showed up during the heifer move to let us know how Dad's VA  doctor appointment went.  All looks great at the moment!  Blood tests all in the good range.   Before my brother left, Teresa's Dad came by.  I had to leave before he did to go get Dad's meds to him, as they changed a bit.  Came home & fed out a roll of hay, and now we'll have some supper.  Keeping it simple after a crazy day, just soup with PB&J.  Tomorrow I work at Southern States, and should be off Wednesday, but the last 2 Wednesdays they've needed me.  Hoping I'm off this Wednesday as I'd like to get the frostproof hydrant installed, as I have a truck to put ball joints in over the weekend for they guy who leases my cropland.  Not much idle time for me lately.

#8498 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,144 Thanks
  • 1,931 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Not much idle time for me lately.

Has there ever been?    :D      Rick

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8499 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Has there ever been?    :D      Rick

Not really, but it's better than not having anything to do. Busy is better than bored!  :thumbs:   But every now & then I do enjoy a "do nothing" day.

#8500 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I didn't get yesterday off due to the forecast of rain for today.  Lots of farmers crying out to get cover crops spread on their ground.  So I worked yesterday and was off today.  Clint let me go home 1/2 early yesterday, as we got caught up, and he knew  I had the hydrant to install.  I got it all plumbed yesterday evening, then got grass seed broadcast where I pulled out the hedges, and rolled out & pinned down a straw mat on top.  Today I didn't get too much accomplished due to people dropping by....neighbor & his wife, then a friend and his son asking if I would rebuild his JD 212, then Dad came by.

I did get the hole for the hydrant backfilled somewhat.  It will need more dirt when it settles, plus it rained as soon as I got it rough filled.  I also got a new gate hung for the back field heifers.  We got 4/10" rain today though, which was sorely needed!  Been almost a month since measurable rain.  Possibly more rain tonight. 

Got another roll of hay out for the heifers, and gave them some feed.  Pasture is all burnt down.  I do have several acres of good thick pasture as it's not had cattle on it for months, but the fence is in bad need of repair, and I've just not had the time to rebuild it.

Back to work tomorrow, then a 3 day weekend.  

• Gtractor, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#8501 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 230 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 04:08 PM

How's it looking for Evansville? Hope you and Rick will be able to make it. I have reservations at Four Seasons in Mt Vernon.

#8502 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:27 PM

How's it looking for Evansville? Hope you and Rick will be able to make it. I have reservations at Four Seasons in Mt Vernon.

It's not looking good for me to make it.  We'll have 2 guys on vacation next week, leaving us short already.  2 other guys already have plans for their Saturday off (learned during chat sessions), so I don't even want to ask them to swap days.  If it gets rained out I still can't come even though that is my Saturday off, as there's an absolute auction not a mile from my place, and the old guy has tons of stuff he's selling off.  I want to make this sale!

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#8503 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 38,496 Thanks
  • 30,611 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Had to leave work to take dad to ER again. Potassium very low. They are admitting him. Not my idea of a good birthday. Turned 58 today, but feeling lots older.
  • Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#8504 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,715 Thanks
  • 4,831 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Happy birthday Dan!

#8505 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,590 Thanks
  • 905 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your father. Is this from eating poorly, or a symptom from his other issues? Regardless, we'll be praying.