• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hot & humid again today.  Heat index hit 106 at one point.  Spent most of the day at work in the shop pulling the final drives apart on one of the Spra Coupes.  Yesterday Mike was spraying 2-4-D on pasture and dropped a front wheel into the starting edge of a hole 5' deep and big enough to park a few spray rigs in.  He kept hammering reverse trying to get out until he snapped both upper roller chains in both final drives.  Yesterday afternoon we went to retrieve the sprayer and found both the (endless) chains had broken pins and pulled just one link apart.  So we finally got the chains back on their sprockets and put in master links, which wasn't an easy job due to barely being able to fit a hand inside, but Mike got one side, then I did the other.  Used our 4WD pickup to help it back out of the hole.  I think a garden tractor would have been all the pull it needed as I just barely had snugged the chain & it came right out.  

We got her on the trailer & brought it to the shop.  Both the upper #80 and the lower #120 chains were worn and stretched, plus bushings sloppy.  The center sprockets had a lot of wear to the #80 teeth.  Wayne Supply charges 7 grand to rebuild both finals, so Mike & I will rebuild them ourselves.  I don't think parts will be over 2 grand, or at least they shouldn't be.  Replacing all 4 chains, 2 center sprockets, 4 upper roller bearings, and 4 tapered bearings in the center sprockets, plus new o-ring seals.

20160826_1419401.jpg 20160826_1420141.jpg 20160826_1419531.jpg

Then clock-out time at 5 & home I headed.  Chilled a little while, then got on the John Deere F935 & started mowing.  Man what a difference it made putting brand new blades on it.  Even with the old blades fresh sharpened, it's never cut as nice as it does now.  It's like the 22hp Yanmar has 30hp compared to before, plus SO much nicer looking cut.  About 45 minutes more mowing tomorrow and all areas will be fresh mowed.  Have a little more spraying to do tomorrow around the silage pits and I'll have everything in good shape.

Going to my bosses place tomorrow  at 4pm, as he's having all us employees over for skeet shooting & good food.  Love my job and all the people I work with!

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#8282 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Then clock-out time at 5 & home I headed.  

This is the huge difference from the first 90% of this thread. Feels good to leave it at the shop, doesn't it!

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#8283 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 10:30 PM

This is the huge difference from the first 90% of this thread. Feels good to leave it at the shop, doesn't it!

It sure does Josh....it sure does!  :thumbs:

• Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#8284 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 02:43 AM

Sounds like a pretty decent savings doing the drives yourselves.

• Craig. said thank you

#8285 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Reading about those chain repairs brought back memories. Lying on my back in the sharp stubble under the old self propelled swather, that wonderful smell of ripe wheat straw, eighty plus degrees, dust, biting bugs of all descriptions, and a piled-up roller chain popped off the drive sprocket. No sarcasm intended, but, God, how I miss those days!

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8286 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Well, I slept in a bit, then went out to spray around the silage pits & little spots I previously missed.  The temps kept rising so I came in for lunch.  I just went to the old shop to try to clean it up a bit, but with the fan just blowing hot air, I came in & called it quits.  Heat index hit 108 a few minutes ago, and it's stifling outside.  Man do I wish for this heat to die down a bit.  Can't get much accomplished, and I don't need to wear myself down as Monday at work I need to be ready to go.  My neck and shoulders have been taking a whipping loading sacks & working on stuff, so weekends need to be more on the relaxing side.  My hands, especially my left have increased numbness after lots of physical work.  Yesterday my left was bad, but is better today.  

We'll be going to my boss's trap shoot/meal in 2 hours anyway.  Sure wish it was cooler for it!  Heat index dropped to 104 now.  If shooting hurts my neck in the least, I'll just watch everyone else shoot.

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#8287 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:08 PM

I'm jealous. Trap shoots are fun.

I wish I could find out how to relax on the weekends. I end up working all week then working all weekend.
  • Craig. said thank you

#8288 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:12 PM

I hope the afternoon was easy for you Daniel! Only relaxation for me is piddling with something!

• Craig. said thank you

#8289 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 08:02 PM

The trap shoot almost got rained out & canopies almost went flying.  Came a POUR down rain just after we got there, but we held the canopy down.  Cleared up for a nice meal and evening shooting.  Like I said, only the 2nd time in nearly 40 years I've shot trap, but did decent.  I shot about 70 shells and didn't upset my neck at all.  Glad we went!

• Craig., KennyP, shorty and 3 others have said thanks

#8290 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 09:40 PM

Sounds like a great relaxing evening Dan. Something I haven't done in years. I ought to try it again.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8291 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Glad you enjoyed the evening! Sounds like a good time!

#8292 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 11:12 AM

Glad you had a great time.  Did the weather change cool times down any?

#8293 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Glad you had a great time. Did the weather change cool times down any?

My neck is protesting today, but not too bad. Heat index topping 100 already. Not cooling much till mid week.
Down at new shop clearing floor space so when time arrives I can finish the ceiling insulation and metal. Want my 2 post lift up, and ceiling must be done first. Fans keeping things cool enough in here, but step out in the sun and it's miserable.
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#8294 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Just don't get too carried away today! Some of what you are doing might even help loosen things back up. It's 90° On the porch, but very little breeze. Had to bring a fan from the shop so I could work on the canopy.

• Craig. said thank you

#8295 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 02:46 PM

The heath index is miserable. All I can do outside right now is walking laps around the yard. When I am done I am drenched.

Glad you had a relaxing day with the coworkers.

The one think I miss about working a regular job is clocking out at the end of a shift. I don't know if they still use time cards anymore, but there was something about pushing that card in and getting that "THUNK" that was cathartic. No matter what happened during the day it was over. 

On a related note, For several years I have have had dreams that I have worked all week and then get called into the office and told that I didn't clock in or out so I don't get paid for the week. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks