8683 replies to this topic

#8176 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 03:45 AM

Busy day for sure. Getting a lot accomplished though.

Edited by Craig., August 02, 2016 - 03:45 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#8177 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:28 AM

Nice to know a little in advance before company comes so you can sweep and pick up the clutter.
If you're not under a truck, Take a minute and try to walk in the door with fresh eyes. Look around for things that they may see because they are new to the facility. It's amazing the stuff we walk past every day that we just accept, but may be seen as "safety issues" or "bad protocol" to someone else.

Area company up here. The maint shop didn't have the ladders secured nor a way to do it.
According to the guy I knew, the inspector got a lot more meticulous after he found that, as its a company policy. He said for the cost of a chain and a couple of hooks, they would've saved a lot of time and frustration.

Good luck on the inspection and don't run yourself ragged.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#8178 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 10:43 AM

Best pair of boots i have ever EVER worn and still do ,are $400 dollar RedWings, feel like slippers and wear like iron. I work in a industrial enviroment and am on oily nasty concrete all day and they last me 4 years before i need to get them re-soled.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8179 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Nice to know a little in advance before company comes so you can sweep and pick up the clutter.

Good luck on the inspection and don't run yourself ragged.

Facilities were inspected several weeks ago without any notice. Got hammered pretty hard, but shop was clear and clean with just some simple to fix violations. This time is just for rolling equipment and the fertilizer mixer\loadout. On lunch break now. Lost Mike for the rest of the day, but hoping Randall can help me.
  • Craig. said thank you

#8180 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:45 AM

I wear Matterhorn 10" slip on boots for work. They are wonderful for mining boots(for me)

I was very fond of the 14" Georgia boot. I loved the pair I had but they started leaking at 4 months and the sole peeled away from the bottom at 6.

New guys(back when we still got new people) always asked which were the lightest best boots and longest life. My response was always they are all heavy. They all fall apart after 6 months and the best ones are the ones that fit you.

For 200 dollars into a pair of boots 6 months isn't a long life

I made the mistake once of buying a a cheap pair of work boots. Nearly went bankrupt buying bandaids for my feet. I am fortunate to live close to a store that sells factory seconds. I can get a pair of $250 wolverines for $49. I buy a pair a year when I am working full swing. At the rate I am going now this last pair will go for 10 years. 

When I get a new pair I wear the old ones to the store, find ones that fit with my insoles. wear the new ones to the register, toss the old ones in a can out front. They think it is hilarious.

Daniel sounds like you are doing great at the job. When you have a title like "shop guy" you are in. If you title is "that idiot who plays with tools" you may be in trouble. 

Edited by UncleWillie, August 02, 2016 - 11:46 AM.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#8181 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Daniel sounds like you are doing great at the job. When you have a title like "shop guy" you are in. If you title is "that idiot who plays with tools" you may be in trouble.

I have no idea what they say when my back is turned!
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#8182 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 12:28 PM

I'm sure it's flattering.

#8183 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Sure am sore across my shoulders & neck today, but feet did fine.  I can touch the my spine below my neck surgical scar and it feels like I'm touching my left shoulder.  Weird feeling!

Been working on both Coupe sprayers. Both units had booms with broken tubing & cracked welds.  More welding to do tomorrow.  Randall & I pulled a Coupe traction tire off & patched 4 holes from deer antlers.  Truck parts didn't arrive, so the tender truck is still in the shop.  

To fix the spray Coupe tire, I needed to unload it, so I pulled the truck & trailer to the lower lot and drove the coupe off & up to the shop.   May have made a critical error, as boss man saw me driving it and was smiling like a possum.  Both bosses have asked me more than once if I was ready to go spraying, and I told them I wanted to keep things simple.   Later after he saw me driving it, I asked if I had made a mistake by letting him see me driving it.  He just smiled and said "good to know.....good to know".   :D   But if they wanted me to drive the young fella next spring , I'd rather just do the spraying myself rather than sit on my butt while he sprayed.(he doesn't turn old enough to drive the truck/trailer till next July)  So who knows, I may end up switching to spraying next year.  It would be a pay increase.   :thumbs:  Time will tell. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8184 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Daniel, here's the boots that I wear and have worn for about 20 years now.

http://www.georgiabo...#sz=12&start=25

With this insole.

8083DDI_REGULAR.jpg

#8185 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:02 PM

What kind of exposure to the chemicals are you getting now vs spraying?
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#8186 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Probably something like " that Daniel, is there ever anything he doesn't know how to fix"
  • olcowhand, TheFarm2004 and Craig. have said thanks

#8187 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Probably something like " that Daniel, is there ever anything he doesn't know how to fix"

There's plenty I have no idea how to fix I'm afraid.  Being on my farm all my life with mostly vintage equipment makes me feel so dated in what I know about.  Getting off the farm should expand my knowledge base IF my older brain can retain it! 

• TheFarm2004, Craig., shorty and 1 other said thanks

#8188 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 09:29 PM

There's plenty I have no idea how to fix I'm afraid.  Being on my farm all my life with mostly vintage equipment makes me feel so dated in what I know about.  Getting off the farm should expand my knowledge base IF my older brain can retain it! 

The basic issues never change, I'm sure you'll figure out whatever you come across. Willingness and work ethic are much more important!

#8189 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 09:32 PM

What kind of exposure to the chemicals are you getting now vs spraying?

Almost none.  I did get some of a new chemical on me when I removed the seal on a jug.  Didn't even see any on my hand, but with my sweating, I wiped my sweat and got it in my eye.  Burnt like fire, and had to rinse it a few times.   Mason (the young spray guy) does 99% of the spray prep.  I just drive him to the fields and pump the water in, and occasionally hand him chemicals when needed.  They only hired him because they had nobody apply for the job.  Mason actually came in for the ad for a "dock/warehouse" worker.   They talked him into the spray position.  He's talking about going to college anyway, so he may be gone by next year.  I have time to think on it.  I can likely get the new spot, but not sure I want it.  They usually can find drivers sooner than sprayers though, so if they are in a hard spot for spray applicators, I'll do what I can.  Either way, in the off season, I'll be in the shop most of the time like I am now.

• MH81, Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#8190 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 09:39 PM

And I sprayed my own crops for 40+ years, only hiring spraying done the last 2 or 3 years before my health issues came up.  When Dad's health went down, I had to hire the spraying done, as I had to be planting, etc.  But it was a simple ground driven pull type sprayer, not a 14,000 pound high boy style self propelled, computer laden machine with switches & screens all over the place!  But I figure I can still learn new tricks if I need to....I hope. 

• MH81, Craig. and shorty have said thanks