8700 replies to this topic

#8161 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 09:31 PM

It drives me nuts when my feet start hurting, stinging, and burning due to being a diabetic. You cant do anything. I feel for you truly!

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8162 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have to wear metatarsal boots at work. It's funny because I can walk around and work all day underground. But spend a few hours on the concrete shop floor and my feet throb! I don't have any foot problems but that concrete floor is something else...

Are you required to wear boots? You could look at some look at steel toed tennis shoes. They are light and pretty comfortable compared to boots. They don't offer the ankle support that boots give you though.

I have a pair I wear when I have to go inspect equipment at outside shops. I can protect my toes and not have to change into boots all the time.

http://m.kmart.com/d...IGngRoCQErw_wcB

Those are cheap at 27.99 but not sure how comfortable they would be.

I have a pair something similar to these

http://workboots.com...744,5131/1?dl=b

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 30, 2016 - 06:57 PM.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8163 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 07:17 PM

That steel toe tennis shoe is interesting!  I know we are required to have steel toe, but I don't think it specifies boots.  I am on concrete most of the day now, either warehouse or shop.  But in the shop I'd better have leather boots when welding & cutting.  I could have both with me though.  I'll inquire about the ST tennis shoes next week.  My feet held up well today with only 4hrs at work.  Still feel pretty good after having the boots on all day, as I've not been on concrete since noon.

Today was pretty easy....just loading customer's vehicles with sacked feed & minerals.  The forklift was a bit low on oil, but the tap didn't start till after it ran a while.  Sounds like a lifter peck, so next week it'll get Lucas oil or STP oil treatment.  

After I got home and ate lunch, I drove my JD 430 out to Dad's and mowed his yard & barn areas.  Then back home, took a break before supper, then back at mowing here at home.  All mowing is done for the weekend.  

I also unloaded my trailer, then backed it into the shop so tomorrow I'll put some better tires on it, and install the new shocks.

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8164 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Being a food truck delivery driver, I know my shoes and boots! I wear them out in months so I've tried a few different ones. Don't go cheap on them. New Balance makes a nice steel toe. It's a little heavy but comfortable. It last me 8 months which is huge. I run up and down a ramp with a cheese grater texture. Kinda chews things up. Also, although a little ugly, Timberland makes a steel toe shoe that looks like something I wouldn't wear but is probably the most comfortable and lightest. Meijer carries them and wait till they go on sale. They can brush 100 but are worth it. They lasted me about 12 months. Weird looking but really stand up to abuse and really have some great grip. Even on wet floors or even oil. When my feet start hurting, I immediately replace the insoles. Probably go through a set every 8 weeks or so. That keeps me pain free and lite on my feet. At least as lite as 260 lbs. can be haha.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, July 30, 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#8165 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 10:16 AM

Putting on better tires and new shock absorbers. Not doing much else today unless I start feeling more energetic.
1469977486999-532500461.jpg
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#8166 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 12:16 PM

This is the first time I see shocks on a trailer. Never knew that was required.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8167 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 01:02 PM

This is the first time I see shocks on a trailer. Never knew that was required.

Larry, I built this tilt trailer from scratch and after taking a trip to get a tractor, while it was empty, the awful condition of interstate 65 had it jumping almost 2' in the air.  So I added the shocks to make it ride smooth.  It does perfect now.  Only single axle trailers have the bounce problem, as the tandem walking axles take the "jump" out of bumps.

• massey driver, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#8168 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 01:12 PM

I buy my boots a size too big and then have to put 3 pairs of arch supports in them to get the support I need. My arches are stupid high. Custom insoles are too expensive for me so this works. I have thought about finding a pair of the old thick foam flip flops and whittling down a pair of insoles for me. 

I knew a guy who was diabetic who bought his boots 2 sizes too big and had two pairs of flip flop soles in the boots. Only way he could walk all day on security rounds. 

• olcowhand, Craig., dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#8169 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 08:04 PM

I buy my boots a size too big and then have to put 3 pairs of arch supports in them to get the support I need. My arches are stupid high. Custom insoles are too expensive for me so this works. I have thought about finding a pair of the old thick foam flip flops and whittling down a pair of insoles for me. 

I knew a guy who was diabetic who bought his boots 2 sizes too big and had two pairs of flip flop soles in the boots. Only way he could walk all day on security rounds. 

I'm fortunate I run a crane, cause when I get in the cab I take off the metatarsal steel toe boots and put on my diabetic slippers when there hurting (and hope foreman doesn't walk in on me). But last 3 months I am have been unable to do that, do to training others to run my crane. I never thought to buy boots/shoes 2 sizes to big. thanks for the idea, I'm going to try it!

#8170 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 08:07 PM

I always buy 1 size larger so my feet aren't squeezed at all.  I only wear diabetic socks, and that makes a huge difference, but doesn't stop the flair ups.

• Craig. said thank you

#8171 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:40 PM

I have a hard time being on my feet for any length of time--both due to the bad disk in my back and my feet swell.  I've had the most luck with Georgia Boots--I generally wear a hiker type, which is available with safety toe (not sure if it's steel or fiberglass) or plain.  Their price is about $100/pair, but they're worth it... I even wear mine when welding... if you don't want two pairs of boots, just get a set of welding spats, or even make some out of leather or heavy canvas.  They cover the lace area of the boot and keep the hot sparks out...

I'm hard on boots, but the dura shock liners in the Georgia boots take it. The heel area has a thick rectangle "plug" that goes down into the sole--provides more cushioning to the heel when walking, etc. Plus you can pull out the liners and get new ones.

Smitty

• olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#8172 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 05:39 AM

Funny how when most of were young we could wear just about anything all day with no problems  and as we get older our feet seem to be taking a beating from all the abuse !   Certain sneakers I had made my feet hurt worse then my work boots lol  There are some good recommendation here ,  though sometimes what works for one won't for another .   Guess there's no telling that until you would wear them for a while ,

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#8173 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:14 AM

I have found Justin boots are what my feet like. Started wearing them back when we were rolling corn at the feed lots. On my feet nearly 20 hrs a day.

• olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#8174 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:11 PM

I wear Matterhorn 10" slip on boots for work. They are wonderful for mining boots(for me)

I was very fond of the 14" Georgia boot. I loved the pair I had but they started leaking at 4 months and the sole peeled away from the bottom at 6.

New guys(back when we still got new people) always asked which were the lightest best boots and longest life. My response was always they are all heavy. They all fall apart after 6 months and the best ones are the ones that fit you.

For 200 dollars into a pair of boots 6 months isn't a long life
  • olcowhand, Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#8175 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:22 PM

My feet did fine today, but my neck took a lot of strain underneath trucks today.  Gotta go through ALL the trucks & spray rigs asap, as we heard the company inspection crew is coming to inspect everything.  We got one tender truck gone through, one spreader truck, and will finish the other tender truck in the morning.  That will leave one spreader truck, 3 spray nurse trucks, 2 flatbeds, 2 pickups, and 3 sprayers to go though.  If they don't come till Thursday we "might" get them all, but barely.  One spray boom needs welding tomorrow too, and it's thin tubing, so I'm taking my small wire welder to work tomorrow.  

My boss was glad to hear I took it on myself to buy all the supplies to put lighting along our back wall in the main warehouse.  Mike helped me put it all up and we had it done by 10:30 this morning.  Then we got news of the impending equipment inspection, so got right on it.

My boss comes to me for most repairs, be it small or large, so that makes me feel good, even though Mike is really the go-to guy when it comes to the large trucks as I haven't any working knowledge of a lot of them.  All the guys at work call me "the shop guy", but no title really applies.   I just kind of took over the spot when Dane went into the hospital with his SEVERE double pneumonia 2 weeks into my job.   Dane always did most of the shop work, but it's not likely he'll ever be able to work again.  He was in rehab after 2 months plus in the hospital, but is now back in ICU for a problem with his tracheotomy.   He went into the hospital April 2nd and hasn't come home yet.

Gotta hit the shower, then sleep time.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks