coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 09:54 PM

We found a little place near us that does a fried bologna burger with sautéed onions. The slab of bologna is about 1/2 inch thick!!!! I take the boys about once a month now.

• olcowhand, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#8073 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:05 PM

I love fried bologna. We used to have it
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#8074 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I'll start over. Hit the wrong button too soon.

I love fried bologna. We used to have fried bologna and egg sandwiches for breakfast. And bologna, cheese and Dukes mayonnaise sandwiches for lunch. We had a place in town that made baloney burgers, too.

But those days are gone. After my 50 year physical, tune up and scope, the doctor says no more nitrites for me. Not cut back. Not reduce them. None. No more. That knocks out bologna, hot dogs and most lunch meats. To a guy that had the hot dog special at Mary's Diner everyday in high school--three hot dogs, fries and sweet tea for $ 1.25--that's tough news. But that's also probably what put me on the no more nitrites path.
  • olcowhand, coldone, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#8075 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 11:19 PM

I like yellow mustard on my bologna. What I can't find here in Texas is pickled bologna. I love pickled bologna with some crackers. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#8076 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 12:16 AM

When my little sister was a toddler she was very hard to understand. One day she came in the living room and told my mom she wanted a t bone. My mom was a bit surprised and kept trring to get clarification. Eventually Beth got tired and walked away. She came back in the living room with bologna and cheese and was chanting t bone t bone. We all laughed. T bone was her way of saying cheese and bologna. 

If I couldn't eat hot dogs they would just have to stick a fork in my 'cause I would be done. I have a hard time resisting a gas station hotdog. I get two and eat them while I fill up. Which reminds me - Christine needs gas. 

Edited by UncleWillie, June 27, 2016 - 12:24 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8077 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Sounds like you have those boxes stocked pretty good, Daniel! When they get here, that is.

I like fried bologna too! With yellow mustard! Good stuff.

#8078 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:22 AM

I had a cousin who when he was 7 was diagnosed with some kind of heart problem.  My mom was convinced that the reason the kid got these heart problems was because his mom fed him hot dogs and bologna all the time.  So growing up I rarely ever had a hot dog, and never had bologna. 

As an adult, I've seen/read too many things about how those things are made....I can't do it.

My favorite easy, simple sandwich is Peanut Butter and a glass of milk.  That's my way to go.

#8079 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Peanut butter and a thick slice of sweet onion on white bread. Snack of choice when the boys were in scouts. Very tasty!!

#8080 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I like yellow mustard on my bologna. What I can't find here in Texas is pickled bologna. I love pickled bologna with some crackers.

We don't have it in abundance here either ( in northern Indiana ) . So every time I go south, Olcowhands way, I have to pick up several gallons for those here at work who were also transplanted from the south. But they do something a bit different then what I had learned. Once they have devoured the bologna, they boil up several dozen hard boiled eggs and put them in the gallon jug with the pickle juice an pickled the eggs, haven't tried that yet. I think I'm going to next time I pick up a some
  • olcowhand said thank you

#8081 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:06 PM

We don't have it in abundance here either ( in northern Indiana ) . So every time I go south, Olcowhands way, I have to pick up several gallons for those here at work who were also transplanted from the south. But they do something a bit different then what I had learned. Once they have devoured the bologna, they boil up several dozen hard boiled eggs and put them in the gallon jug with the pickle juice an pickled the eggs, haven't tried that yet. I think I'm going to next time I pick up a some

My mom don't allow pickled eggs because my dad lol. I haven't been back to Kentucky in a few years but last time we came home with a truck loaded down with ale-8, pickled bologna and rolls of bologna.  

#8082 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Pickled bologna? That must be like our Penrose sausage. I love them, too. I can make some mean pickled eggs. Make four or five dozen at a time in a gallon pickle jar. Google some recipes and try some out. Keep them in the garage fridge. One of my buddies used to make fun of me because I kept pickled eggs and a gallon jar of dill pickles in my garage fridge. I gave him my opener code so he could let himself in to borrow tools and fix things. One Friday I come home from work and he's sitting in the garage with the fan and stereo on eating a pickle and having a cold beer while waiting on me. Suddenly the pickles and egg thing was really good idea.

I can eat bologna and hot dogs, if I can find them without nitrites in them for preservative. Nitrites are a big factor in colon cancer.

I am supposed to be on the "Tastes Good" diet. If it tastes good, spit it out and find something else to eat.........
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8083 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:06 PM

My mom don't allow pickled eggs because my dad lol. I haven't been back to Kentucky in a few years but last time we came home with a truck loaded down with ale-8, pickled bologna and rolls of bologna.  

LOL

#8084 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:52 PM

I'm off tomorrow at work, so my very 1st 3 day weekend in public work life!  Going to a tractor show in Brandenburg, Ky tomorrow, then likely Nashville, IN tomorrow evening.  We spent our 10th anniversary up there and liked it.  Antique shops, flea market and more.  Just a nice small town.

Been bears spotted in neighboring counties, then a co-worker who just lives 3 miles from me as a crow flies spotted a small bear, maybe 250lbs in a field across from his house.  Then today, a neighbor just a bit over a mile and a half from me spotted a bear behind their house.  Likely the same bear.  I'd like to see it, but really rather not in my fields!  

Work has slowed, but still busy.  Been tendering sporadic loads of fertilizer, and some time in the shop.  A spreader truck needed a new starter solenoid today, and it was a beast to reach it, plus the main post was seized up and busted the old solenoid end cap.  Took a while to get the nut off the post to remove the cables due to being so hard to reach, and all sorts of vac lines & such in the way.  Didn't get my hands on the new solenoid till 3 this afternoon, but got her going 20 minutes before closing.  

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8085 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:56 PM

Enjoy your extended weekend Dan.