• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Don't know if I met the man, but must be hard on the son.

No Kenny, you've not met him.  Al's Dad lived in Memphis, but came up here often.  He was 2 months from 94 years old and still getting around & driving fine.  That is until his sugar spiked and he passed out at the wheel.  He refused to use seat belts and was ejected when the truck rolled 4 or 5 times.  Al's brother was belted in.  He broke a rib and patella, but will heal fine.  Al is doing fairly well, but I know it's a tough tough time.  Thanks for the thoughts & prayers for his family.

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7967 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Today has been much longer than the hours say.  Went to work at 6:30 and got off at 12.  Very busy, plus in the 90's and humid, but not that hard a morning.  Then I came home, took a 30 minute break, then went to cut more pasture for hay.  I Only cut about an acre when one of my gearboxes on the discbine started smoking.  This particular gearbox didn't get new bearings last year due to the stub shaft being frozen into the shaft.  I just put new seals in it.  This time a bearing failed and took out the seal.  I had one new seal (dealer closed at noon) and saved all the good bearings from the major rebuild.  I did get the seized shaft out, so then I could sneak inside with a small punch & drove the remainder of the bad bearing out.  To pull the shaft completely would have required pulling the other seal, which would have prevented my doing a fast repair.  So I drove on a used bearing and race, put in the new seal & put it all back together.  I had to drop one end of the entire cutter bar to remove the end gearbox unit.  Thankfully it was the end gearbox, otherwise I would have had to drop the entire cutterbar unit.   Ended up mowing till 7:30 and got over 30 acres down.  I need to finish the last 10 to 12 acres tomorrow after the grass dries.  This is steep ground, so gotta be safe about it.  Tomorrow is our 23rd wedding anniversary, so I'm taking her for a nice breakfast before finishing the cutting in the afternoon.    I figure this will make 80 or more round bales, so I have a lot to do and only will have 5:30 till dark to do it with work & all.  I haven't told Dad I'm cutting, as I really don't want him on these hills, plus raking will be on an open tractor, and it's too hot for him to do it.

50% chance of rain Tuesday through Friday, but it had to be cut.  Being grass hay, rain won't hurt it that much anyway.   I may have to group the bales in the field and put a battery powered fence charger around it to keep the heifers away from it till I have time to move them from the field.  What I cut yesterday may be ready to take & roll tomorrow.  I'm gonna try to get that smaller field rolled tomorrow, but there's only one of me, so it may not get done.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7968 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Decide after supper to go unhook the Massey 1100 from the 2 wagon loads of straw bales.  Right front tire flat, and the tube's sten slipped inside.  So just drove it around to the other end of the barn to the old shop.  Found a taller rim/tire with air that fit the bolt pattern.  Got that changed & ready to hook to rake tomorrow.  Jack was low on oil, and the air impact trigger stuck on slow speed.  One of those days.  Just hope this old spare tire holds up to get the job done.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#7969 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 11:29 AM

You've had a lot going on Daniel. Sounds like you're going to make a lot of hay this year. Hope Y'all have a GREAT Anniversary today.  Give Miss T a hug for me.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7970 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Happy Anniversary! Hope the day went well!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7971 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:51 PM

Just returned from cutting all the fields.  Gearbox 1/2A repair held up fine!  Got the 2745 unhooked, and hooked to the baler, then went to move the Hough loader so I could get to the rake....yep, battery almost dead.  Luckily my jump box did the trick.  Got it moved, then headed in the house to chill a few before going into the heat to rake.   Very hot out, around 95 and humid.  Gonna be miserable raking without AC, but the Massey 1100 is so much more nimble to rake with.  Besides, I can come on back to cool whenever I need.

I should get at least 20 acres raked today...all that is cured enough.  Next weekend will be my 1st 2 day weekend in over a month, and after this weekend of work, I want this hay out of the way so we can enjoy a weekend without work.  

• Craig., KennyP, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#7972 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:58 PM

Oh, and I had to cross a wash to get to the back field to cut yesterday, so I called Teresa to come get me on the Kubota so I could leave the tractor & discbine to avoid crossing the wash 2 more times to finish the field.  As we drove up the hill I mentioned to Teresa I needed to lock up the shop.  I also mentioned what a mess I made of the shop with all the crud I had to scrape off the cutterhead to do the repair.  Just about then we pulled up to the open shop door, but what do I see?  A swept floor!  Teresa noticed the mess and cleaned it up for me!   :dancingbanana:   I am such a blessed man to have a wife who supports and helps me!  She was surprised I appreciated it so much, but I told her it's the little things that can pile up on me, and it's the little things she does that mean so much.  :thumbs:

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 10 others have said thanks

#7973 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:04 PM

It's great to have support/help when you need it most!

#7974 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:52 PM

I told her it's the little things that can pile up on me, and it's the little things she does that mean so much. :thumbs:

Same experience I had. The little things mean a lot.

#7975 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Man she's awesome!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7976 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:26 PM

We had a great dinner, then I had to get back to the hay.  I ended up rolling 31 rolls.......before the CV power shaft busted to smithereens on me.  I heard a loud pop, and seen the shaft laying sideways.  The parts were still greasy, and smooth bearing surfaces, and not hot, so I don't know why it went.  Expensive part too.  Now I have all this hay down with no baler.  It's a metric shaft, and may be the same size as our fertilizer buggies at work.  If it matches, I'll buy one of them from work.  They aren't CV joint shafts, but if I don't make sharp turns it would likely get me through the hay.  Here's a pic before things went south on me.

P_20160612_2005441.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7977 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Oh Great

#7978 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 10:00 PM

I am such a blessed man to have a wife who supports and helps me!  She was surprised I appreciated it so much, but I told her it's the little things that can pile up on me, and it's the little things she does that mean so much.  :thumbs:

I knew I liked her!  You are a lucky man.     Happy anniversary.    Rick

​Edy sends her congats.  to you both, and tell Teresa hello. 

#7979 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 05:03 PM

HOT and HUMID!   Sweated a ton today at work.  Frustrating day as we ran out of urea and diammonium phosphate (DAP), so did some waiting and postponing in the end.  Heat gave me a headache, but not too bad.  Got to come on home at 5:15 as it would be at least an hour before the DAP arrived, so I'll bring some rolled hay in when I get a bit of rest and cool down.

No part on hand for my baler, but I may have a source for a used front half shaft which I'll know for sure in the morning.  If they have it, Teresa will go get it for me so I can roll more tomorrow evening.  The danged heifers started rolling my bales off yesterday, so I grouped the rolls in a dip between hills.  I'm gonna try to move & gate the heifers into a smaller field tonight so they can't mess with them, giving me plenty of time to move them later.

• MH81, KennyP and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#7980 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 05:24 PM

It's been humid here all day! If my hand would let me, I'd do something. Hope you get cooled down and can get the part.