• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 08:41 AM

I'm scheduled for all next weekend off, but hoping really to be hauling fertilizer.  Farmers are so behind due to the very wet spring and desperately need to get the crop in the ground as some corn remains to be planted.

Mike, (my neighbor) cut my hay ground yesterday & should get it up by Tuesday.   I'll haul my bales in in the evening & just place them in the empty silage pit floor for now.   Then Steve can get in there with soybeans.

Got going slow this morning, so leaving for Cracker Barrel this morning, then a flea market.  When I get home if pop-up storms don't stop me, I'll mow all the farmyard areas.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7922 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Flea market was awesome today.  Got a new never installed tractor seat for the 720 for $75 and saved $30 as the exact seat is $105 with tax at TSC  Got a few needle nose pliers and side cutters, a small clamp on vice, pair of Coleman multi-tool pliers, and a couple other items.  We decided to go to the flea market 1st before it got hot out, then ate brunch.  At home chillin now.  

The hay Mike cut is curing down fast.  Forecast is high 80's and sunny through Tuesday, so he'll be making hay finally.  Seems so odd not doing it myself, but I have plenty to do, so makes better sense, especially since I have plenty hay already.

Gonna rest in the cool for a while, then start mowing after things cool down.

• TheFarm2004, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#7923 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:17 PM

If I knew you wanted a small vise, I have 3 little ones and would have mailed you one!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7924 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:40 PM

I've been busy mowing, so forgot to take any pics, but my vice is just like this one, a Craftsman 2 1/2" jaw.    Mine shows almost zero use and is snug as can be.

vice.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#7925 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Gotta be at work at dawn.  Next 3 days should be rain free, so we'll be hauling/spreading fertilizer like mad.  Our spray crews will be working long days as well.  Likely top 40 hours before the end of the day Wednesday.  I hope so anyway!

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7926 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Hard to think you guys down south are having those issues.  With the warmer weather one would think that would cause some higher ground temps.  Yet if it is too wet in the field nothing can help.  

Do you guys have a bigger window in the fall with a late planted crop?

We have been very lucky up here in the Badger State when it comes to weather.  Dry Spring and the farm I work with has all there corn (2000 ac), New seeding (1900 ac) and first crop hay off.  We started our first corn planting on May 5th which is Very early for us up here.   I did put in some long hours to help make this happen, but the weather was on our side.  

Up here the 28th of the month is the magic date to cut alfalfa.  We cut 8 days early and got all 2000 ac. off without rain.  Pulled out of the field Tuesday afternoon the 24th.

This farm feeds high corn silage (75%) to hay (25%) ratio and is going for Quality/Protein.  That is way we cut a few days early.  With the low milk prices it seems to make sense to lower there cost of outside protein sources.

Several other farms in the area did the same and have very nice feed in there bunkers.  Interestingly enough one of the largest farms in our area started cutting May 26th and it has not stopped raining since.  They milk 6500 head and it looks like they have close to 900 ac. on the ground.  It is going to be very interesting to see how they handle this.  The hay on the ground right now will make heifer and dry cow feed but they will have to make up for that lose.

I put some sweet corn in the 7th of May and we had some very cold ground temps but had to try for that early corn.  Today it is out of the ground and in the V2 stage of growth.  It is a new variety that I tried this year that advertised good cool soil tolerance.

It has large seed size and that made me feel good about it laying there in the cool ground.  I will be buying more of this seed for next year.  With the larger seed size this stuff should be what I need to get that early corn out of the ground.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7927 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:27 AM

I've been busy mowing, so forgot to take any pics, but my vice is just like this one, a Craftsman 2 1/2" jaw.    Mine shows almost zero use and is snug as can be.

attachicon.gifvice.jpg

That is a nice little vise.

#7928 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Got 14 1/2 hours at work yesterday, and maybe 16 today. Gotta haul fertilizer when you can. Long days, but great paychecks! In a tender truck with working AC today thank goodness.
  • Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#7929 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 01:49 PM

I got today off.  No farm chemicals going down here.  We've had rain, with a side of rain, and a good dose of rain, with more rain. 

The crop dusters would be going good but guess what? .....  Rain is close and threatening now too!  :(

On day 4 of my holiday weekend....... 

#7930 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 01:57 PM

Enjoy!

• Craig. said thank you

#7931 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Gonna be at over 30 hours pay just yesterday and today. From leaving home this morning to estimated time getting home will be 17 hours. Gonna be whipped, but have another long day tomorrow, so just gotta bear it. Got a lot of ground spread today!

#7932 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 08:24 PM

And I'm still sitting in a field at almost 9:30 to offload my last batch. Then I have to fill my fuel tanks before the 40 minutes drive to the store.
  • Craig., UncleWillie and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7933 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,578 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 08:51 PM

And I'm still sitting in a field at almost 9:30 to offload my last batch. Then I have to fill my fuel tanks before the 40 minutes drive to the store.

Now that is working late...

#7934 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Got home at 11:05.  Gotta set my alarm for 5 am to be in the truck by 6 to tender to a pair of spreader buggies.  My boss waited till I got back to the store, and drove to give me a ride from the truck parking area to my pickup (all of 100 yards).   Told him I wasn't crippled, but he said a little special attention doesn't hurt.  He told me he appreciated my dedication to the job.  I told him I appreciated the job!  I'm pretty sure I'll be staying on here.  Now I better get to bed!

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7935 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:03 AM