• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:22 AM

We're back to spreading fertilizer instead of oil now!
  • MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7907 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,026 Thanks
  • 862 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 12:11 PM

He's not supposed to be spreading hydraulic oil.

LOL

#7908 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 06:04 AM

Long full 16 hours at work yesterday, but a good productive day. Not much sleep, so today will feel even longer. If the weather holds out I'll get well over 80 hours this week. One of my air ride bags has a leak, so may have to put in a new one anytime. Still love this job!
  • Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#7909 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Well, the weather didn't hold out.  Now I should end up with just 61 & 1/2 hours, but still a nice paycheck!  Rained us out this afternoon, so I worked the loading dock some, went to the seed building & loaded a guy 40 bags of soybeans, then put a fertilize buggy in the shop & started repairs.  I should finish going through it tomorrow.  My weekend to work 8 to noon Saturday.

• Craig., KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#7910 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,187 Thanks
  • 8,585 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Only 62 2/2 hours. Slacker. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and TAHOE have said thanks

#7911 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,693 Thanks
  • 15,457 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Glad things are going well still. Sorry to hear you got the Holiday weekend to work, 3 days off would have been like a Holiday for you!!

• olcowhand, Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7912 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Glad things are going well still. Sorry to hear you got the Holiday weekend to work, 3 days off would have been like a Holiday for you!!

That's ok with me.  Boss just texted me to come in at 6:30 instead of 8 like they said when I left work today.  I'll be tendering loads of fertilize tomorrow.  So may end up with 70+ hours this week after all.  We will work Monday as well trying to catch up.  Farmers don't get holidays, so we don't at Southern States either.  So even though I don't dairy anymore, some things don't change!  

Today was repair day.  Mike and I changed out a radiator & fan clutch in his spray truck, got the AC charged and evaporator cleaned in a spreader truck, got a bad wire & hydraulic cooler bracket fixed in another spreader truck, I finished repairs to a spreader buggy, and got the shop's air compressor repaired.  The compressor was running when I got there this morning and the pump about to fall off the tank.  Had to repair the main air line from the pump to tank, and get things snugged up.  I'll just start turning of it's breaker at the end of every day as this has happened before.  Kind of a cheap compressor plus they had it turned to a higher pressure than it's rated for.  I turned it down a bit.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7913 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 1,026 Thanks
  • 862 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 04:01 AM

Busy busy busy. After reading your post I need to take a nap lol Have a great day today!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7914 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,894 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 04:26 AM

I'm just glad your are working and happy with what you're doing, Daniel. This job is just right for you. Plenty of things to tinker with and fix!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7915 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,196 Thanks
  • 5,631 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:33 AM

70+ hours is a lot of hours for a week.  I usually averages 55-65 most weeks.  When I get into the 65+ area I start hurting!

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 28, 2016 - 06:34 AM.

• Craig. said thank you

#7916 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 09:05 PM

Rain came after the boss texted me last night, but he never said to come in later, so I was first to work, a lone one man crew.  Went to work in the shop, getting several things tended to, then later did tender a load.  Turns out when the boss went to pick up all the electric fence boxes and parts that they didn't get them all.  The retired former Southern States employee did the box repair at his home after retiring as a side job.  He went back in the hospital a few days ago, so they went & got the rest.  About a dozen more boxes to repair, and LOTS of new component parts.  Covered the entire truck bed with fence boxes and boxes of parts.  Boss wants me to clear a corner & fix me a fence box repair spot.  Not an easy feat in an already crammed shop.  I think I'll build a hinged fold down table on the wall.  There is a wall outlet at just the right place for the repair table and a shelf overhead where I can put a light fixture.  I asked the boss where I could put all the chain booms & other stuff that is now in that corner shelf unit and he said "you'll find a place"....so I just said I'd make it happen.

• Craig., KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#7917 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,239 Thanks
  • 30,832 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 09:11 PM

70+ hours is a lot of hours for a week.  I usually averages 55-65 most weeks.  When I get into the 65+ area I start hurting!

I start the 1st hour of a pay period hurting at some level, but as long as I can get decent sleep, I can pretty much handle all the hours they can throw at me.  It does catch up with me sometimes, but still a lot better than working long hours on the farm and not making any more for it.

Once I got home this afternoon around 2, I had to finish my neighbors zero-turn that blew a gasket Monday.  I got it going tonight so I'd have tomorrow to do whatever.  

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7918 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,187 Thanks
  • 8,585 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Looks like you have job security.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7919 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:57 AM

Daniel it's great to hear that you and Teresa are getting to enjoy some free time after so many years being hitched to the dairy herd. I can't imagine your employer not hiring you full time. You have so many skills and so much problem solving experience to bring to any situation that needs a fix. 

#7920 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,894 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:18 AM

Daniel it's great to hear that you and Teresa are getting to enjoy some free time after so many years being hitched to the dairy herd. I can't imagine your employer not hiring you full time. You have so many skills and so much problem solving experience to bring to any situation that needs a fix. 

I have to agree with that statement. But, I think your having a bit of fun doing it. Best part is you have at least one day a week off.