• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Rained yet again today!  Very few soybeans in the ground, and frankly, ground temps are too cool.  Even some corn ground to plant due to the almost constant rain the last few weeks.  Steve who leases my cropland has only about 200 acres of beans in and at least 1,600 more acres to go.

At work we are way behind also of course.  We have about 20,000 more acres to spread fertilizer on, so when it dries we have to hit it hard & long days of it.  I've been keeping busy in the shop repairing more fence boxes and still organizing things.  The larger sprayer needed 2 new strobe lights, but the OE are expensive, so I welded a pair of mounts up to put some cheaper strobes we already had onto it.  No missing him on the road now for sure.  

One of the warehouse guys has been telling me his days were numbered there, as he was ready to retire.  Everyone there said he's always said that for 4 years, BUT today he handed in his keys and said "so long".  I didn't hear about it till one of my fellow employees called me this evening & said I needed to jump on this opportunity for full time employment.  So I texted Clint (who paid for my breakfast at "Paula's Hot Biscuit" across the street this morning), my area manager, asking if it was a good time for me to call him.  He immediately called me, and I think pretty much knew why I called.  He said he didn't want to lose me and already had full time in mind for me, but would have to crunch some numbers to know for sure, but would know by time the spring rush was over.  I feel pretty good that I'll get the spot.  If I do, my worries are over about having enough money to get by.  

I can't emphasize how much different a life it is making a living off the farm.  I know many of you might dream of life on a farm, but it's tough not knowing if you'll have enough income or any income for that matter.  But the main thing is free time.  I've worked the last 3 Saturdays, but this weekend is 2 days off, which I rarely ever had when dairy farming. After rush, I'll get every other weekend off, then only work 1/2 the other Saturday.  Most weekdays I'm home by 5:15.  Plenty of time for whatever that evening, and so much less stress to boot!

Teresa & I are loving our new life, and hoping things continue to get better & better.

Dad is still doing very well also.  He was going out the road as I came home, and said he was going out for supper, but wasn't sure where yet.  I reminded him about Famous Recipe having fish on Friday (new kind of fish he likes), so he said that's where he'd be going.  

Tonight I drove to Mom's grave...the first time since her funeral.  I have avoided it, but felt I should go now.  Was a strange, very strange feeling, but glad I did.  I need to get some fresh flowers soon.

• TheFarm2004, coldone, Alc and 13 others have said thanks

#7892 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 09:31 PM

I am so glad that you are enjoying the work. I am sure they are enjoying having someone who knows what they are doing. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7893 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:04 AM

Daniel, best of luck with going full time! I think you enjoy working there. Glad your Dad is getting out and doing well. It is hard to visit those who have passed, Mom would be happy with some flowers.

#7894 Cub 1650 OFFLINE  

Cub 1650

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 975
  • 105 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Daniel, hope the new job works out, and we are praying for you and your family.

#7895 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Finger crossed for full-time, I'm sure that would be a huge relief! Glad it's working out for Teresa, too.

#7896 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:54 PM

Had a great visit from Josh (SupplySergeant) and his son Chris (Eggman) today.  They came to pick up a Brinly aerator/spreader and a box blade.  Chris didn't make plow day, so was especially nice to get to see him again.  We talked quite a while....long enough Josh's wife called looking for him!  :rolling:  Kind of a common theme around us GT nuts.  :thumbs:   Just before they had to leave Josh mentioned needing a dump trailer.  So I took them to the milk parlor to show them a brand new, still in box Brinly 10cf trailer.  I tried to get him to go ahead & take it and just pay me later, but he refused.  So it will wait for him whenever finances allow.  I priced it at 1/2 store price.  

I worked some on my daughter's Jeep today.  Hope the problem is solved, but will need to be driven a bit to know for sure.  We just had pork chops, mashed potatoes, cream style corn, and coleslaw for supper.  Been a really nice day (despite breezy, damp & cold), and still another day off tomorrow.  

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#7897 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Glad you got to spend some time visiting. Josh is a great person. Missed Eggman at plow day.

• olcowhand, Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7898 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 11:40 PM

We had a great day visiting! That AC 720 is going to be another cool one-of-a-kind. I appreciated the offer to take the cart and pay later, but I just don't feel right owing someone, especially when they are already out the original purchase. Plus, I now have an excuse the wife will buy to go visiting again! She wasn't really looking for us, just calling to laugh, since I told her we'd be an hour at Daniels place, and she said "More likely three!" And, she was right! All in all, a great way to spend a day.

Kenny, he promised to make the next one. He takes his promises quite seriously!

edited for grammar and spelling (the wife read this post!)

Edited by SupplySergeant, May 22, 2016 - 03:41 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7899 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Took it real easy all morning.  Even took a nap before noon.  Then I got busy and sprayed all the thistles in the back 40.  Took Teresa out for Mexican, then came home & mowed everything...the yard, and all the areas around the barns, manure & silage pits, and the roadsides for 3/4 mile.  While mowing my neighbor pulled in with his Dixie Chopper mower on his trailer.  He had just finished mowing a yard and when he backed it onto the trailer it started puking oil.  So after I finished all my mowing I pulled things off the engine.  On the block between the V cylinders (Kohler CV730) there is a plate with the oil sender unit.  The gasket was blown out under it.   Took over an hour taking parts off to get to it.  What a pain it is getting to many of the bolts & screws.  He'll pick up the gasket as he works near the dealer.  Will likely take over 2 hours to put it all back together thanks to the engineers who design these things.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#7900 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:54 PM

" Will likely take over 2 hours to put it all back together thanks to the engineers who design these things."

There are several design engineers that I'd like to have a close up and personal ​ "conversation" with. 

I've been reading your posts, and I'm glad to see that things are working out for you.  :thumbs:   Rick ​

#7901 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:30 PM

The one on the Kubota has the oil sender above the filter still a pain because there is no room to work.

#7902 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Teresa & I are loving our new life, and hoping things continue to get better & better.

I am glad to hear your new working style of life is a positive, I was wondering how you tow would do with it.

There are several design engineers that I'd like to have a close up and personal ​ "conversation" with. 

Yea, I could make a huge list of different manufacturers for that one.

#7903 milkman44 OFFLINE  

milkman44
  • Member No: 78911
  • 94 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 12:57 PM

Good to hear that in spite of all the difficulties you all have been through, the blessings are great.

#7904 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Got to field at sunrise tendering crop owners John Deere 4920 spreader and maybe 10 minutes in he busted a hydraulic hose. Down for a while.P_20160524_065843.jpg P_20160524_075740.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7905 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 07:47 AM

He's not supposed to be spreading hydraulic oil.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks