• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Kind of slow day at work.  Started out working on electric fence boxes, then had to deliver a small load of just over 6,000 pounds of fertilizer over 40 miles.  Was to an Amish family, 2 brothers, each with a small steel wheeled wagon.   I helped them pull the wagons out, then push them back in under roof.  There was a little Amish girl, about 3 years old who watched everything with a serious look on her face the whole time.  Then as I backed out she was going into the house, so I waved and smiled at her.  She lit up like Christmas and waved back.  That made my day the way she smiled.  

Got back & went to work on the fence boxes.   Got 11 of them total today back to working.  I have a good 10 more to do tomorrow.  It has rained so much we won't be spraying or spreading for a week or more of sunny days.  Pouring outside now.  At least they still have me working tomorrow.  4 guys stayed home today due to nothing they can do.  Glad I can fix things or I'd be staying at home tomorrow.

Next Wednesday I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon's office to see about my increasing finger numbness.  They said I'd surely be getting another MRI to be sure things aren't in a bad way.

This Tuesday the insurance adjuster comes out to inspect the storm damage.  If I have to, I'll do the house repairs myself, but if insurance covers enough, I'll hire it done.

• coldone, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7877 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Glad you have a few little jobs to keep you busy. My R hand is slowly getting back to normal, but I know what you mean about the numbness. Been fighting that for a month now.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7878 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:49 PM

I have some rheumatoid arthritis swelling in my right index finger.  My how just a small place can hurt so much!  Out of my 8 fingers, this is the only one that doesn't have any numbness at all, and now it is swelling & hurting.   :wallbanging:

Just had a big supper, and about time for my recliner.  My neck is also hurting more tonight from bending down while working on the fence boxes, but it's worth it to have income.  I still love my new job!

• Craig., KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#7879 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I have some rheumatoid arthritis swelling in my right index finger.  My how just a small place can hurt so much!  Out of my 8 fingers, this is the only one that doesn't have any numbness at all, and now it is swelling & hurting.   :wallbanging:

Just had a big supper, and about time for my recliner.  My neck is also hurting more tonight from bending down while working on the fence boxes, but it's worth it to have income.  I still love my new job!

My little finger on the R hand has been swollen about like a grape. No grip at all! Was wondering if Arthur had a hand in this. Tendons seem to be healing finally!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7880 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:26 PM

The "in house" Southern States Coop safety inspector visited our store today.  Lets just say we need to do a LOT to meet their expectations!  Repaired a few more electric fence boxes this morning, then had to clock out for an appointment with my neurosurgeon's office.  All is good, and my increasing numbness (that recedes at night) is par the course.  So I can relax & stop worrying about that.  If anything gets worse, then they will do another MRI, but for now all is as good as it gets, so I just have to accept how it is.

When Teresa & I got dinner before my appointment, we found Dad, my sister Angela, and her son Greg were there.  Dad is doing pretty well, but Angela just found out yesterday that her lungs have 5 new spots from cancer.  The former treatments stopped working, so they have to research what to try this new round.  This all began as colon cancer, but spread to her liver & lungs.  Her liver is still clear.  She's been having a really rough time for almost 2 years now.

Tomorrow will be the 1st sunny day in quite a while, but short lived as rain moves back in Friday.  So tomorrow evening will be mowing time around the house & barnyards.

• coldone, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#7881 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,078 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:19 PM

The "in house" Southern States Coop safety inspector visited our store today.  Lets just say we need to do a LOT to meet their expectations!  

Not surprising, considering you predecessors LOST a drill press in there!

Glad your Dad is doing well, we'll pray for your sister some more.

• olcowhand, Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#7882 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 10:37 PM

Wow Daniel It sounds like you have found a great job. You guys are getting a lot of rain down that way. Just heard the weather man and it looks like the high we have is going to split and work down your way.  That should dry you guys out a bit.  Good luck on getting the product delivered.  When it get dry everybody want it NOW.

When you guys started planting we could not even think of working ground.  

We did start direct seeding Alfalfa and then Corn about May 5th and are about 85% done.  Still have 400 acres of corn ground that had manure applied this spring and it worked up very nice today.  Planter is in the first 160 acre field, of that ground, right now and should be able to move to the next 200 acres tomorrow.  That should be done tomorrow evening. Then just a small field and we can call it done.  

We also are putting in 450 acres of a grass/hay for a neighbor.  Sounds like I may be over there tomorrow crushing in front of the drill. 

I even have a 1/4 acre of sweet corn in the ground on May 7th.  Soil temps (50 degrees) are not great up here, but we had to try.  I am trying a new variety of corn this year that has more cold soil temp tolerance than what I plant when soil temps hit 65 to 70 degrees.  I buy my seed in 25000 count bags and the new cold weather variety fills the bag right up to the top and the other variety the bag is only half full.  I am sure the the larger seed will pull throw this cool soil temp.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#7883 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Combining crews are leaving here this week for the south. Hard to believe the crops down south are ready to come out and ours are just going in the ground. 

• olcowhand, ducky, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#7884 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 11:31 PM

Combining crews are leaving here this week for the south. Hard to believe the crops down south are ready to come out and ours are just going in the ground. 

I would assume they are going for Wheat?

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#7885 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 04:32 AM

Prayers to continue for Angela. Glad to hear your Dad is doing well and you are still healing. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy at work, even with the rain.

• olcowhand, Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#7886 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:17 AM

I would assume they are going for Wheat?

I'm guessing your right. Never thought to ask  :(    I do know they said Oklahoma was the first stop. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7887 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Wheat should be getting ready here before long.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7888 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Wheat should be getting ready here before long.

I would imagine that it will be another week before they are ready to combine. They have travel time and set up to do before they can hit the fields. 
Had a good time visiting with him. They have some real stories to tell about their travels. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#7889 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Goin to till garden tomorrow and plant first of the week, if all goes well. Praying for Aunt Angela.
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#7890 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:08 PM

The guys around here have already made their first hay cut and are planting either soybeans or corn. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks