Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8665 replies to this topic

#7651 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:42 AM

He is going to do far more damage to himself by setting around pouting. It is good for a person to be out making himself useful. Speaking from experience if he wants to do something there are ways to do it. 

He needs to start out slow and as he learns to work around his limitations and his confidence increases he is going to be much happier and healthier. 

I'll second this!  After my lung surgery I felt like I couldn't do anything so I ended up sitting around for quite a while and ended up getting up to 286 lbs.  Finially decided that being fat was not what I liked and started loosing the weight and I started getting a life back.  Fast forward to retiring and the wife let me sit around for about 2 months then she told me find something I want to do.  So I started working on small engines and love it. 

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#7652 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Daniel, I'm really glad to hear the job is working out for you.  Hopefully you will be able to get a full time position there.  I believe that if you can put an injury or surgery to the back of your mind and start trying to do normal tasks that's when you truly heal from that injury or surgery.  Like in your case where you wanted to make a good impression on your bosses and co-workers that became more important then the surgery so you quite nursing it and the body responded positively.  Soon the surgery will be just a memory. :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#7653 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:57 AM

Visited Mom yesterday after work.  She was napping in a chair, but woke right up when I spoke.  Then her supper arrived and she had quite an appetite.  Lasagna, garlic bread, salad, and fruit salad for desert.  She ate 2/3 of the lasagna, all the garlic bread,  most of the salad, and ALL the fruit salad.  She seems to be liking it there.

Today I finished up the buggy in a couple hours, then had to tender a load of fertilize 50 miles.  By the time I filled the truck fuel tanks and got back, it was 12 noon and work day is over.  Going to my shop to put the new bearing in my John Deere F935 so I can get some mowing done.

Oh, and the big tender truck flat out died on me going through an intersection onto the Western Ky Parkway.   I just restarted it while rolling and she did fine the rest of the trip.  I asked one of the long timers if it did that now & then & he didn't think it has, so I'll have to be watchful. 

Now for shop time.

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#7654 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:35 PM

My FIL has gained 30# since he's been in the home he's in..  They have some great food and some 'not-so-great' stuff..  

I saw this VIDEO and wondered if this was a relative of yours?

#7655 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 05:45 PM

I saw this VIDEO and wondered if this was a relative of yours?

Not my relative.  I'm just glad for the little girl that animal didn't decide to toss her off that ride!

Got 4 1/2hrs overtime today.  Got the fertilizer buggy finished and out of the shop.  Took a load of fertilize 60 miles after that.  Filled the truck tanks and got back at 12 noon....closing time on Saturday till we get really going.

Came home to put the bearing on my JD F935 pto shaft.  Found the bearing mount was wallowed out so had to order the whole unit as an assembly.  That won't be in for a good week or more.  So I put a battery in the older F935 and put the other deck on it.  Mowed just a few minutes and a spindle started smoking.  So I had to put the deck off the broken mower on it.   Got all the barn areas mowed finally.  Came in, ate supper, and gonna watch some TV before crashing.  I'm tired, but a good kinda tired.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#7656 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:55 PM

He is going to do far more damage to himself by setting around pouting. It is good for a person to be out making himself useful. Speaking from experience if he wants to do something there are ways to do it.
He needs to start out slow and as he learns to work around his limitations and his confidence increases he is going to be much happier and healthier.

I've argued this with him till i was blue in the face...

I wish I could force him. I try my best to get him involved in my projects. I then make him do projects. Nothing over the top. Cut that board, measure that, nail that in, ect. Things I know he can handle and should help him build his confidence.

It's odd too because I bought another 128 a few months ago. I bought a ton of parts for it. Pretty much everything to entice him to do a working girl restore on it. He tore it all down and started on it. Now it's sitting in boxes because he hasn't messed with it since.o

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 09, 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#7657 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 09:47 PM

You sure deserve credit for trying and your concerns. Just a thought, does he like dogs? Walking a pet is good exercise and he might like sharing his time with a dog. I wouldn't suggest a puppy.  :(

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#7658 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Took Teresa to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, then to TSC for a battery warranty.  Then Walmart for a few things, and then home.  My cattle guy Brad came & got his remaining heifers as he now has plenty of pasture for them.  He'll be bringing more back for winter feeding this fall.  He also bought the manure pump and towed it home.  One of his employees got 1/2 his heifers and will be back in a bit for the last 10.  Took a while getting them up & separated.

• TheFarm2004, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#7659 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 06:56 PM

Last of his heifers just left.  I told him once I sold all my heifers & fed out my remaining silage to his heifers next winter that I may be looking for someone needing rental pasture ground.  If I can end up getting full time at work, I don't want or need to deal with cattle anymore.  He said that he'll be talking to me about that when the time comes.  I have about 100 acres of pasture ground.

I have 24 heifers of my own with the bull now, and just 14 more pre-breed age, plus 2 beef heifers.  The 24 will be gone before year's end, and the rest before mid 2017.  Of course if he rents the pasture, I'll still deal with the cattle some, but not nearly as much, plus I'll know what I'll be making instead of somewhat rolling the dice by feeding out my own.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7660 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:03 PM

Last of his heifers just left.  I told him once I sold all my heifers & fed out my remaining silage to his heifers next winter that I may be looking for someone needing rental pasture ground.  If I can end up getting full time at work, I don't want or need to deal with cattle anymore.  He said that he'll be talking to me about that when the time comes.  I have about 100 acres of pasture ground.
  I have 24 heifers of my own with the bull now, and just 14 more pre-breed age, plus 2 beef heifers.  The 24 will be gone before year's end, and the rest before mid 2017.  Of course if he rents the pasture, I'll still deal with the cattle some, but not nearly as much, plus I'll know what I'll be making instead of somewhat rolling the dice by feeding out my own.

Have you thought what your new handle will be? :D
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7661 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Tenderhand?

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7662 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Tenderhand?

:rolling: I have no idea!

I forgot to mention, Brad bought the manure pump today also.  He pulled it on home.  Tonight has been a whirlwind also, as Brad called and made me an offer on our silage chopper, Cat loader, and silage dump wagon.  He's a great networker, and will make money on what he buys, but that's ok.  I don't have the contacts or the time now to deal with selling now, and the longer I keep these items, the less they are worth.  We struck a deal & these 3 pieces will be leaving in a week or so.  It looks like Dad will get to see the farm paid off after all.  I'll be tight till I sell the heifers this fall, but then I'll be ok as the cropland rental payment will be coming in then as well.  I'll still be feeding the remaining silage this coming winter, and I'll have to do it with the old Hough loader, which isn't much fun (rear steer is stiff in cold), but it did the job for many years before the Cat arrived, and it can do it another winter.  

It's gonna be nice to be able to tell Dad the farm is paid for.  He always said he'd never live long enough to see that happen, but looks like he will now!

• TheFarm2004, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#7663 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:01 PM

No telling when I'll get to sleep tonight.  So much on my mind, and so many changes in my life this last year.  One year ago the 28th of this month is when my last milk & last milk cows left this farm.  Been heart wrenching in many ways, and uplifting in others.  Seeing these pieces of equipment leave isn't easy.  But life dictates changes, and un-needed equipment is part of it.  Still sad though.

• TheFarm2004, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#7664 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 10:27 PM

No telling when I'll get to sleep tonight.  So much on my mind, and so many changes in my life this last year.  One year ago the 28th of this month is when my last milk & last milk cows left this farm.  Been heart wrenching in many ways, and uplifting in others.  Seeing these pieces of equipment leave isn't easy.  But life dictates changes, and un-needed equipment is part of it.  Still sad though.

Wow, paying the farm off is GREAT news. I know you have mixed emotions about it, but you know it's the best deal in the end for you.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7665 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted April 10, 2016 - 11:07 PM

I'll have to do it with the old Hough loader, which isn't much fun (rear steer is stiff in cold),

Do you have a warm place you can park it?

• Craig. said thank you