• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 05:54 AM

Draggy this morning as I didn't sleep well last night.  But getting ready to go in at 8 to work, but leaving to arrive there at 7:30.  One of the guys I work with (Johnny) is the husband of Paula, of "Paula's Hot Biscuit" next door.  Johnny is cooking breakfast for us guys at Southern States this morning.  Can't be late for good eating!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#7637 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like a good reason to go early! Eat a hot cake for me!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7638 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Wow already getting Perks  LOL

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7639 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 05:28 PM

For breakfast I got 2 scrambled eggs, hash browns, 3 strips bacon, and one biscuit w/gravy.  Yummy!   Hauled 2 full loads fertilize 50 miles away.  First load I had no tarp, so had to drive slow.  On 2nd load I noticed the volt meter read just 12V.  Pulled back the hood to find the serpentine belt that runs the radiator fan and alternator was broken.  Reason is an idler was seized up.  Got 1/2 the load unloaded and shut off the truck so it wouldn't get hot.  Water pump is gear driven, so once on the road I'd run cool.  Got the last unloaded and headed back with no issues at all.  New tarp was in, so we installed that & did some other minor truck repairs, and quit at 6.   Now to feed silage once I get this cup of coffee down.   Pretty tired tonight, so after some chili for supper I may pass out in my recliner.  Been a windy cold day, and more like it to come with high 40's to low 50's.  Wind got wicked while filling the diesel tanks, and was hard to stand without leaning.  Wasn't that bad at the fields fortunately or we couldn't have spread.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#7640 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:21 PM

It has been a bit windy here too. I tossed a pizza crust out to Gunner when he was on his chain. I was going to make him run for it. It went way out to where his chain ends and then blew almost all the way back to me. Oh well.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7641 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Well guys, I gotta say I am loving my new job off the farm!  Every day I like it more and more.  I signed on as seasonal mainly because I didn't know (and my bosses either) how well physically I could handle it.  I am improving for sure.  A heavy roll of chain came in the 1st week of my employment and I needed to place it on a high shelf way above my head.  It hurt quite a bit stretching to lift it up there.  Well, today I needed that chain, and figured it might hurt again, but to my surprise it didn't hurt, plus felt like half the weight I put up there, and no chain has been taken off the roll.  Working here has helped me a lot physically, but even more importantly it has helped my mental side of things way more!  My confidence in myself has quadrupled at least!  I like EVERY person I work with too, which is huge in itself.  I let both the bosses know that if they like my work and a full time position becomes available that I would love to have it.  I told the area boss Clint today that I loved the job.  He smiled and said he knew I would.  I've been rebuilding a spreader buggy in between other jobs, and today I had the store manager Dewey look at my work at this point.  He said everything looked great so far.  It's kind of a more difficult job, as it is a mix between 2 buggy manufacturers because someone ordered the wrong frames & would have cost them a lot to ship this chassis back, so we're making it work.  Several alterations had to be made, but I may get this buggy out the door tomorrow.  I work 8am till noon tomorrow.

Oh, and did I tell you I'm loving my job?   :smilewink:

• DH1, TheFarm2004, Craig. and 7 others have said thanks

#7642 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:35 PM

That is great news, Daniel! Just a little less stress in your life now! Have fun!

• olcowhand said thank you

#7643 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:43 PM

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well all around.

I wish my dad would go do something part time. He retired when he had his heart problems and neck surgery. Now he is "better" but he sits around and does nothing. He needs something to do to keep him physical and challenged mentally.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7644 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well all around.

I wish my dad would go do something part time. He retired when he had his heart problems and neck surgery. Now he is "better" but he sits around and does nothing. He needs something to do to keep him physical and challenged mentally.

How old is your Dad?  While healing up from neck surgery (or any surgery for that matter) is extremely important, I've found out that getting back to working harder after healing is just as important as the heal time.  

• Craig., HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7645 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

How old is your Dad? While healing up from neck surgery (or any surgery for that matter) is extremely important, I've found out that getting back to working harder after healing is just as important as the heal time.

He will turn 55 in may. He is young. Too young to be sitting in his recliner all day watching investigation discovery all day!

Drives me crazy. All he does is complain he is bored and has nothing to keep him busy.

I found him several part time jobs in the mining industry (where he worked for 30 odd years). Good little jobs he could easily do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 08, 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#7646 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

That is great news, Daniel! Just a little less stress in your life now! Have fun!

Yes, lots of stress has come off me.  I could still work myself silly on my farm, but not really make any money by doing it.  Now I have decent income.  I'll still have lots to do around here, but nothing remotely close as it used to be.  Plus with the new job, there is no paperwork and all the other stresses as when we dairy farmed.

• Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7647 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:53 PM

He will turn 55 in may. He is young. Too young to be sitting in his recliner all day watching investigation discovery all day!

Drives me crazy. All he does is complain he is bored and has nothing to keep him busy.

I'll be 58 in October, so I agree with you that he needs to do more.  This job has shown me what getting back to work can do for a guy.  I didn't have heart problems though, but I'd say it would still apply.  Hope he gets more active soon.  Sure not too good to sit around all the time.

• TheFarm2004, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7648 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I'll be 58 in October, so I agree with you that he needs to do more. This job has shown me what getting back to work can do for a guy. I didn't have heart problems though, but I'd say it would still apply. Hope he gets more active soon. Sure not too good to sit around all the time.

Me too! He has a pace maker which fixed his heart problem.

He is so afraid he is going to hurt himself. I get him to come up and help me work on my house or a project and he always babies around afraid he is gonna hurt himself.

• olcowhand, MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#7649 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying your job and feeling better.

How is your mom doing in the nursing home?

Shoot, my dad was 59 whe he had his first open heart surgery. Back then they kept him in the hospital for 10 days. He was trying to carry firewood in for the stove the day he got home. He finally "retired" at 75 yrs old due to the company he worked for eliminated his entire dept. Once he was diagnosed with his lung disease though at age 80, he gave up.

#7650 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 09:34 PM

He is so afraid he is going to hurt himself. 

He is going to do far more damage to himself by setting around pouting. It is good for a person to be out making himself useful. Speaking from experience if he wants to do something there are ways to do it. 

He needs to start out slow and as he learns to work around his limitations and his confidence increases he is going to be much happier and healthier. 

Edited by Cvans, April 08, 2016 - 09:34 PM.

• TheFarm2004, Craig., HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks