• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Olde Deere's caution---- moderation in all things, over achievement can soon be expected as the norm. Keep a few cards in your pocket for future play, lol.

I understand what you mean, but I usually have one work speed, and that's to work hard, get the job done, then move on to the next job.  That's just me and what I expect of myself.  Now when it comes time to take a break, that I'll do.  Today I put the new PTO shaft on 1st thing & re-delivered it to the customer.  He was much appreciative and said he'd make sure he kept the lift arms down.  

Then it was time for repairing the main fertilize station's loadout conveyor.  One of the top roller's bearings was tossing it's innards.  Had to work off a tiny man platform on a forklift up about 12'.  The bearing out was on the driven side, so the 16" double sheave belt pulley had to come off.  Of course everything was eaten up, so the pulley would not come off it's taper.  Just torched it off while one of the guys went to get new.  It was very light rain & 40 degrees with a stiff breeze.  Got kinda cold, but by the time the new pulley arrived, I had replaced the bearings on both sides & ready to install the new components.  Got the pulley on easily, then seen it was 2" larger diameter from the original.  Not a lot of adjustment down on the motor, but it was "just enough" to roll the belts back on.  Got the conveyor belt tensioned, then ran it to dial in the track of the belt.  They loaded out 2 loads with it & working fine.   My boss was worried the shaft on the upper roller would be destroyed by having to torch off the old bearings, and he had already gotten out the new roller.  I told him not to worry as my torch wouldn't blemish the shaft in the slightest, and it didn't.   He was very pleased we didn't have to use a new roller assembly.   That was the end of my day, as nobody else called for fertilizer, and we all went home.

Now here at home & fixed a lockout pin for the heifer's headlocks.  They kept noodling with the pin that kept the headlocks unlocked, and sometimes found themselves standing there locked up for a while.  Fed out some mineral, and need to put out more rolled hay after this cup of coffee I'm nursing.  I get to sleep in tomorrow!  :thumbs:

I am loving the job, but I know when we get to full tilt the long days will be harder to take, but I'll manage.  I like everybody I work with.  Most I've known for years.  And I know one of these days the 2 managers will get in a mood and roll it downhill, but Dad could do the same, so nothing new to me.  As sore and tired as I have been I've not awoke to hurting at all, and in fact, my neck and shoulders are feeling better little by little.  I think maybe I was being too cautious before.  Time will tell.  My 1st paycheck will be end of next week, and only for this week.  Then it will be 2 week checks the next payday.  I survived my 1st week well!

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#7547 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 01:34 PM

Great to hear that the job is going well. Just don't push too hard. Sounds like you are a good fit and I knew you would be. Now it's time to think about plow day Buddy, I know I am, got the parts ordered for the PowerMax yesterday. Rest up this weekend and give them your best again next week!
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7548 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Great to hear that the job is going well. Just don't push too hard. Sounds like you are a good fit and I knew you would be. Now it's time to think about plow day Buddy, I know I am, got the parts ordered for the PowerMax yesterday. Rest up this weekend and give them your best again next week!

Yep! That's coming up real soon! 12 days until I head out!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7549 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Yes, next weekend I have to pick up the porta pot.  Got several things to do in preparation for plow day.  Some may not get done till that Friday

Tomorrow Teresa & I are going to Bowling Green for a Harbor freight fix.  Only thing I know I need to pick up is several pair of their shop gloves.  They fit my hands and last real good too.  Some family are in for the weekend to help Mom & Dad.  No nursing home rooms available for Mom in Hodgenville, but working on E-town for temporary.  

This afternoon I cleaned up the silage pit where I had the Sudex hay, then went ahead & fed silage tonight for tomorrow.  I put out enough rolled hay to last this next week.  So tomorrow is totally work free unless something unexpected comes up.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7550 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Get a list of things needed done Friday! I plan to be there to help (along with Steve)!

#7551 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Just picked up some styrofoam bowls and plates, and plastic spoons for plow day. The day will be here before we know it! Got 9 new pair of shop gloves for work and home. Rainy cold day here. If raining at home too, then work should be slower tomorrow, plus I go to the courthouse to get my seasonal CDL tomorrow.
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7552 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:17 PM

11 hours at work today, and almost at the end of the day, I got my first delivery with the big fertilize nurse truck.  Someone of course stole the road sign on my 2nd stop, in land I'm not familiar with.  About that time my boss sent me an address to plug into my phone, but then seen I had passed the road already.  No good places to turn around, so I drove on and came in the back way and got the buggy refilled.  Gonna take some getting used to the trans in these trucks.  Non-synchronized, so I have some learning to do.  I am tired!  

I did call & have a porta-pot lined up that I will fetch Sunday.  I sure hope weather holds up nice for plow day to happen on the 1st & 2nd!

• TheFarm2004, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7553 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:11 PM

You'll get used to those trannys, I did. It just takes forever to shift from one gear to the next. Glad you had a good day, but that's along day for you in a new job.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004 and Craig. have said thanks

#7554 TheFarm2004 OFFLINE  

TheFarm2004

• Member No: 642
  • 129 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:25 PM

Big ol' trucks, lots of weight, double clutching!, two speed rear end. WOW are you bringing back some memories.

#7555 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 01:42 AM

Get a list of things needed done Friday! I plan to be there to help (along with Steve)!

Were planning on being there on the 28th or 29th as well. Bring the twins mother down to so chances are good I'll be able to get away and help prep as well. Windy is looking forward to seeing u allthen. Also I'll c about bringing some safty supplies.

Edited by Craig., March 22, 2016 - 01:45 AM.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#7556 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Glad to hear things are going so well at your new job

Gonna take some getting used to the trans in these trucks.  Non-synchronized, so I have some learning to do.  I am tired!  

For all you truck drivers whom can drive these non synchronized truck :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7557 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Glad to hear things are going so well at your new job

For all you truck drivers whom can drive these non synchronized truck :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  

Still learning this trans, but it's just my 2nd day, and getting better at it.  Today I drove 4 round trips totalling 320+ miles hauling 32,000 pound loads of fertilizer.  The trucks drive extremely well.  I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics of one tomorrow.  And tomorrow will be just as busy, and maybe later.  I got done at 6:30 tonight for a 10 1/2hr day.  Gotta go in 1/2hr earlier tomorrow, but I'm going in a bit sooner than that so I can clean the windshields.  Early morning and late afternoon the low sun makes for bad vision through all the grime.  We have to hit it hard tomorrow, as Thursday is calling for rain.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#7558 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Not to many other things worse then dirty windshield in the sun. I just hate that unsafe feeling. Glad your cleaning them.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7559 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:57 PM

You dumping into buggy's or into "Big-A" and Floater Trucks? I used to keep these fed.

big a 1.jpg

#7560 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Sounds like you might start a new standard for these guys. They won't know how to act with a clean shop and clean windshields!