8699 replies to this topic

#7516 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Its official I'll be there for Plow Day, and maybe a few days b4. C U all there!
  • olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7517 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Planning to be there Thursday afternoon!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7518 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Blew out a rusty brake line right front this morning.  Drove on to work with rear brakes.  Had a hard day's work starting with the spreader we put a new chassis under yesterday, till we got as far as we could till the new springs, shackles, and spring walker arms come in.  Then we pulled another buggy in to go over it.  I said "we", but Dane kept disappearing on me, so I did most by myself.  Replaced 5 bearings, and never easy on a spreader due to the fertilizer eating up the metal.  All but one bearing required torching them off the shaft.  Then the shafts have to be cleaned smooth with a flap wheel before even thinking about putting new bearings on.  Any bolt taken out that was plain steel got replaced with stainless hardware.  Replace some zerk fittings, greased everything, changed out the tractor end of the PTO shaft, and aired up the tires.  Tomorrow we need to build a skid plate for one of the 2 big spreader trucks.  They have to have them to protect the radiator & fiberglass oil pans.  They took 2 $700 radiators out within 2 weeks a couple years back.  One truck already had one added, and the newest truck that just arrived yesterday needs one now.

I'm taking my plasma cutter, but not sure if they have a plug to match my cord.  Their shop is severely under-tooled.  No way I'm leaving my plasma cutter there no matter what.  It comes home after this job if we get to use it at all.

Got home & pulled my truck in my shop.  Got the offending brake line off, and the only rusty spot on the line was right at the end where it meets the flex hose.  Had enough length to allow cutting off the rusty 2", then flared the end.  The first attempt split the tubing, so I heated the next time with a propane torch, then slowly formed the flare.  Perfect brakes again.  

Got a shower, then Teresa & I took a neighborhood circle on the Kubota.  Stopped by my roofer guy's place & paid him for my shop roof work.  Then on home to a shrimp and baked potato supper.  Yes I'm very tired, but had the best day in quite a while.  Going off the farm keeps worries off my mind quite a bit.   :thumbs:

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#7519 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 04:48 AM

Glad you got the brake line fixed! Sounds like you're in your environment at work so far!

#7520 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:20 AM

Your day sounds like a something my dad would tell. He works part time for a fertilizer and spraying company. Most times when a buggy needs work done, it comes apart with a torch.

#7521 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:33 AM

I enjoyed that post tks. Glad it was a good day for you!

Edited by Craig., March 16, 2016 - 06:33 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7522 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Glad to hear it was a good day with a lighter load.
As for the shop, they may just not know they are under tooled.
Or there is someone there that needs convincing.
If you can show them a better, faster, more efficient way and they will have a reasonable outlay to achieve it, they should at least consider it
May want to wait a couple weeks. Just until you're not the newbie anymore.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7523 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Danno, sounds like your in your own enviroment which is all the easier, and will make your days seem like a dream... If only for a moment... Enjoy your self and be sure the others know it, and it will reflect on to them makkng a very very good time.

#7524 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:55 AM

You know Dan, once they realize how handy you are with a wrench. You might be full time doing maintenance.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7525 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:24 PM

May finish the skid plate tomorrow, Friday for sure.  Most of the welding is done, but yet to drill the plate underneath and tape the skid plate frame.  These pics are early stage this morning.  No holes even punched through yet.

P_20160316_1115231.jpg P_20160316_1136331.jpg

As to an ill equipped shop, they don't even have a chop saw or drill press.  All cutting done with torch or a small hand held Milwaukee bandsaw.  If I had to spend very much time in there they would really need to upgrade tooling.

My plasma cutter really saved us time today.  Their outlets matched the plasma's plug.  My plasma cutter will stay till we're completely finished with this job.

I'm liking my job so far, and hope when I start driving that I still like it.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7526 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,772 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:57 PM

How can they do much maintenance without proper tools? Sounds like a skinflint needs to loosen some purse strings a bit. 

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7527 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Good deal Daniel, you sure are bringing some fun memories for me as I did the same thing as you are doing!!!!

#7528 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Show them how it's done, Daniel! Maybe you can get them to move the maintenance to your house! Then you can sleep in a few minutes longer!

#7529 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Teresa texted me at work & asked what I got on my work jeans, as it would not come out.  When I got home, I rubbed the jeans down with GoJo and put them in the washer.  Then when washer started up, I noticed things were too quiet.  The agitator coupling was stripped out.  Cheap part, just $5.08 including shipping.  But I checked the old washer in the milk parlor and was the same part.  Jeans are getting clean now!  

Today I finished the fertilizer truck's skid pan and got the bumper remounted.  Then I asked my boss if I could straighten the shop a bit as I was tripping on the mess of junk in there.  He said to have at it.  It would take a week to get things straight, but it's better.  After moving some stuff, I found there IS a small floor stand drill press, but they said the belt has been broken 4 years or more and didn't know what size it took.  I found it on my cell phone in 2 minutes and told the boss I'd get one.  It's ordered and on the way.

Tomorrow will make my 1st complete week of public work, and I am sore all over, but not in a bad kinda way.  Just been a bit more than what I've been used to is all.  I've ran into 2 different people that said they would have hired me right off if they knew I was on the market.  It's a good feeling knowing I can find work when needed.  For now I'll stay with S-States, and maybe not just for the spring season if I get lucky.  

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#7530 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Glad you got the washer fixed! Once those folks at S-States figure out what all you can do, might be hard to pry yourself away from there!