• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:23 PM

A few pics of the damaged gears.  This is 2nd gear on the countershaft.  This gear was only $19!!  There is only one gear tooth with a chip (on top), but at just $19, it's getting replaced.  I would have replaced it at a much higher price anyway.  Lots of work to just do halfway right.

DSC00015.JPG  

This countershaft was only $145.  Hollow for the pto shaft to come through.  Just the one gear, but splines on both ends.  The chipped gear is on top in this pic also.

DSC00017.JPG

1st/Reverse slider gear was the main culprit.  It has several damaged teeth.  Just $67 for this one.  Bad teeth at 10 o'clock, then at 1 & 2 o'clock.  

DSC00016.JPG

With these parts, gaskets, and gas to go get the gaskets, the repair will be under $400.  Not bad at all.  None of the shift forks or any other parts were damaged at all.  Lucky we were!  

I forgot to take a pic, but the reverse idler gear had some teeth with strange pitting, possibly from pieces of broken teeth getting passed through them.  I've seen worse, but I ordered a new one for $83 just to prevent my regretting it later.

Parts will come in sometime early next week, so may have it going by next weekend.  BUT, if the ground dries enough to haul manure, the 285 takes a back seat for a few days.

I also got my tool boxes moved down, but I left my camera too long in an unheated area, and if it gets too cold it won't operate proper.

I had no intention of putting the 285 back together until I got my tools moved down here so I would have any tool I might need.  The farm shop never has had adequate tools....but it does now.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#739 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not a bad price for the repair.

#740 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Not a bad price for the repair.

I was shocked at the decent prices.  But if it weren't for the fact this tranny used identical components to many Massey models, then the price would have been higher.  The more demand, the cheaper they can make & sell them.

#741 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Glad it won't be that costly to repair. Any $$$$ for repair is costly, just glad this wasn't overly expensive.

#742 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Got the cows milked this morning without any issues, not even a tail slap in my face....oh yeah, 90% of my cows have been docked!  :D   Then time to get the milk parlor dairy records computer fixed.  Dad has a habit of shutting down this computer with the master switch on the power strip, so after a while, he fries the hard drive.  I have the old computer that I cut decals with upstairs, and I keep the dairy program on it also for backup.  So using "Acronis", I cloned the upstairs hard drive onto a replacement hard drive for the parlor computer.  MUCH easier than installing everything separate!  Plus if I install the dairy program separate, I have to call the company for an install key.  This way I don't have to call.  Just clone the drives, install the hard drive & go.  But I did have to bring the parlor computer up here to the house to hook to the ethernet cable to online validate windows.  Parlor is too far to bury cable, or to use wireless modem.  Anyways, after a good cleaning of the old parlor PC, putting the replacement hard drive in..........back in action!  

On to the Massey 285 tranny.  Parts came in except for one gear that should be here tomorrow.  I was going through the components, getting things lined out for installing when I remembered this tractor has a shift shaft interlock that is supposed to prevent 2 gears from going in at the same time.  I hadn't gotten round to checking it.  Well, I know now why this has been happening.  One of the steel balls and a short steel cross pin that serve to lock opposing shafts when shifting was missing!  Once we get this back together, this problem we've dealt with for years should be history!  We could tell someone had been into this transmission in the past, and they didn't watch what they were doing and left them out, or lost them & said "oh well, it'll be fine without them".........yeah, right!  None of this would have happened if they had done things right.  Oh well, it'll be fixed right this time.......if I don't mess up!  :smilewink:

About time to go feed silage.  Them cows like to eat!  :D

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#743 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Excellent news on the transmission!!

#744 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Glad you have a few things going your way again!

#745 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Glad to hear you found the parts at a good price and able to get them quickly. On the computer, it's hard to get some family members to do things the way we need them done, I know this too well myself.

#746 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Daniel have you considered using an extender on your wireless?  Glad the repair's aren't going to be to bad.

#747 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Good news on the tractor. Glad it won't break the bank too badly.

Depending on how far the barn is it is very possible to extend the wireless range to it. My brother owns a computer shop in TN and could tell you if it can be done.

#748 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Good news on the tractor. Glad it won't break the bank too badly.

Depending on how far the barn is it is very possible to extend the wireless range to it. My brother owns a computer shop in TN and could tell you if it can be done.

It's about 350'.  I've been told it can be done wireless, but I'd need a repeater between here & there.  I do have a building 100' from the house in the direction of the parlor.  

#749 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Another hectic day.  Josh was going to take over milking so I could easier make my regular Dr appointment, which I have to make because my prescriptions are expired & about out.  Well, his fiance went to the Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center (famous hand transplant surgeons) yesterday, and she has to have emergency surgery on her wrist & hand this morning, so Josh of course is off today now to be up there with her.  A growth is damaging nerves, so it has to come out immediately.  They expect 4 to 5 hours in surgery, so pretty complicated.  Please say a little prayer they get things repaired& there is no cancer involved.

Got up early and got milking done an hour sooner, and heading to the shower.  I have to be at the doc office at the same time Teri's surgery begins.  Gonna be a long day for everybody here today.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#750 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 07:38 AM

I hope all goes well for her.  Sending prayers...

• olcowhand said thank you