• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Teresa & I both have Dr checkups today.  My glucose (blood sugar) has been running higher.  This morning I tested 182, which is twice what it should be.  Looks like the time has come where I have to somehow cut off sweets that I so love.  I don't want to end up on shots, and possibly worse.  I have a friend who is in terrible shape from diabetes and now he is on dialysis. Getting older is getting harder.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#7412 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Dr checkups were good but my taxes weren't. 5 grand higher than estimated! Got an instant headache! Oh well, it's done.
  • Gtractor, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7413 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Getting older is getting harder.

AMEN.       Rick

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7414 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Dr checkups were good but my taxes weren't. 5 grand higher than estimated! Got an instant headache! Oh well, it's done.

Well that's not good news on the taxes, sorry to hear it. Glad checkups went well..

#7415 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 01:18 PM

. Getting older is getting harder.

Yes, Kenny and I can attest to how hard getting older is! :smilewink:

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7416 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 02:34 PM

Had to go out to Dad's to help with Mom.  She is getting to where Dad can't help her because she is so verbally combative.  He tried waking her up as she hadn't taken her meds,  She got all out of shape over it and refused to take her pills.  I took them to her and she took them right away.  She is nice to everyone EXCEPT Dad.  She woke at 2am and fixed a big pan of vegetable soup, left it on high on the stove and fell sound asleep.  If Dad hadn't awoke to find it, who knows what might have happened.  She's been talking stuff that makes no sense, and fussing about stuff from years back.  It won't be long before Dad can't take care of her, and most likely take full time care.  Dad is worn out from not getting much sleep from keeping an eye on things.  I'm going to speak to her home care nurse to get advice.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7417 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 03:47 PM

I hate to say it, but it might be time to move your folks to a dedicated care facility. A place where the med's and meals are looked after by staff paid to do so. Might give you and your Dad some peace. As I recall, your Dad has his own issues.....

A difficult decision, to be sure.

Edited by camdigger, February 29, 2016 - 03:47 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7418 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 04:18 PM

Sorry to hear of this Daniel, maybe the nurse can lead you in the right direction to help them both out

#7419 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 05:07 PM

I have the DOT physical in the morning, and he is Mom's Dr as well.  My Dr doesn't do DOT physicals.  So I'll get to talk with her Dr about Mom and see what he thinks we should do.  Mom might pitch a fit about going to Sunrise Manor, but then again, she might like it.  Hard to tell with her.  Dad has issues, but without the constant strain of dealing with Mom, I think he will do pretty good.  

Teresa & I just finished separating 22 heifers and scurried them down to the field with the bulls.  When I got off the phone with the nurse, the heifers were all going down the hill to the big field.  I hollered for them, and they all came right back up and waited while I opened up the barn to contain them.  They walked right in without much issue at all, but there's always the 1 or 2 that have to act up.....but got them too.  I drove the Kubota back to that field to keep an eye on them a few minutes, and the calmed right down & started socializing with the 26 head that were already back there.  Even fed out 5 rolls of hay!

Ended up getting a lot more accomplished than I figured we would.  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7420 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Had to go out to Dad's to help with Mom.  She is getting to where Dad can't help her because she is so verbally combative.  He tried waking her up as she hadn't taken her meds,  She got all out of shape over it and refused to take her pills.  I took them to her and she took them right away.  She is nice to everyone EXCEPT Dad.  She woke at 2am and fixed a big pan of vegetable soup, left it on high on the stove and fell sound asleep.  If Dad hadn't awoke to find it, who knows what might have happened.  She's been talking stuff that makes no sense, and fussing about stuff from years back.  It won't be long before Dad can't take care of her, and most likely take full time care.  Dad is worn out from not getting much sleep from keeping an eye on things.  I'm going to speak to her home care nurse to get advice.

You will have to do something before long there, Daniel! It's getting to be not much of a choice but more of a 'preventive'.

• olcowhand, MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#7421 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:55 PM

I didn't realize that your mom was that far advanced.I remember seeing my mom progress and hearing the stories etc; It's getting that time now that she's going to need more help then what your Dad can do by himself.My step dad looked after my mom and I have to give him more credit then I even know how to do.He put up with her and her ways etc: until her untimely passing last Oct.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7422 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 11:44 AM

I believe I may have mentioned this before, we are dealing with a similar situation with my wife's parents.  My MIL doesn't have a big problem with memory, her issue is mobility.  She is a big woman and she can hardly stand let alone walk or move from one piece of equipment to another.  My FIL does all the cooking, cleaning etc plus takes care of her.  They are in their early 80's so all this is taking it's toll on my FIL.  My Wife has been working on getting her mom in an assisted living or something along those lines, but her Dad is being so wishy washy about it.  One minute he is all for it and the next he's not.  Drives us crazy, but we know it would be better for him not to have to be pulling on her and having to do everything.  From reading your posts about your Mom, Daniel I can see you may be having a similar issue with your Dad.  I wish you all the best in having to deal with the situation and hoping for a good out come.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7423 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 11:49 AM

I have the DOT physical in the morning, and he is Mom's Dr as well.  My Dr doesn't do DOT physicals.  So I'll get to talk with her Dr about Mom and see what he thinks we should do.  Mom might pitch a fit about going to Sunrise Manor, but then again, she might like it.  Hard to tell with her.  Dad has issues, but without the constant strain of dealing with Mom, I think he will do pretty good.  

Teresa & I just finished separating 22 heifers and scurried them down to the field with the bulls.  When I got off the phone with the nurse, the heifers were all going down the hill to the big field.  I hollered for them, and they all came right back up and waited while I opened up the barn to contain them.  They walked right in without much issue at all, but there's always the 1 or 2 that have to act up.....but got them too.  I drove the Kubota back to that field to keep an eye on them a few minutes, and the calmed right down & started socializing with the 26 head that were already back there.  Even fed out 5 rolls of hay!

Ended up getting a lot more accomplished than I figured we would.  :thumbs:

How did the physical go??

#7424 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yes Bill, one day Dad wants something done, then the next he wants to care for her.  But I think it will be fairly soon where she will need constant, more intensive care.  One day she seems pretty good, then the next she's not. I talked with the Dr some about it today, but not Mom's Dr, as only his partner Dr does the DOT physicals.  I went to speak with the admissions person at the nursing home for advice, but she was in a meeting.

As to me, I passed the DOT physical, but due to the meds I'm on and the issues I'm being treated for, my card is good for only one year, but that's fine with me.  Stopped by and spoke with Clint, my future boss, and I should start work on the 14th, and I'll test for the CDL on the 21st.  He said the "seasonal CDL" test is simply filling out a form and an eye chart test.  One of the SS drivers was at the Dr's office, and a former employee was there also.  David, the former employee is suffering depression and has since his daughter was murdered a few years ago.  I went to school with him and hate to see him (or anyone for that matter) going through this.

Sure will be odd having a public job, but I hope to enjoy it.  I'll have to get up by 5:30 and feed the heifers silage, then eat a bite and out the door to be at work by 7am.  Work till dark or after many of the days.  I'm ready, but anxious.

Oh, and after dealing with Mom yesterday, when I got home I knew I didn't feel right.  Took my blood pressure and it was high at 150/95....too high to pass my physical.  I was telling my Dr at my routine checkup yesterday about my elevated pressure from the stress, and she told me to not have any caffeine or nicotine the morning of the physical & it would likely be normal and she was right.   :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7425 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Took my blood pressure and it was high at 150/95....too high to pass my physical.  I was telling my Dr at my routine checkup yesterday about my elevated pressure from the stress, and she told me to not have any caffeine or nicotine the morning of the physical & it would likely be normal and she was right.   :thumbs:

This would cause some folks BP to skyrocket!! :bigrofl:

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks