UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Glad you got things screwed down and got back to earth in one piece.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7382 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Sue said its old age lol. I kind of agree, cause each year that goes by it gets worse going up there. Like you it never bothered b4, was I up there last week taring the chimney do to a leak...didn't much like it. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#7383 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Sue said its old age lol. I kind of agree, cause each year that goes by it gets worse going up there. Like you it never bothered b4, was I up there last week taring the chimney do to a leak...didn't much like it. 

I've nearly panicked a few times while on my house roof tending the chimney or antennae.  But my house roof is steep!  Bet yours is as well.  

• Craig. said thank you

#7384 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Ok then, we'll call it "the Silver Bullet".   :D   My FIL had a Ford Escape he named that, but it got totalled out, so I'll take the name.  I'm not superstitious, so I don't worry it'll hex me.

My wife named her '97 Dodge Caravan "The Silver Bullet". At about 175,000 she started calling it "The Ol' Grey Mare"! It still runs nice but lost 3rd and 4th gear at about 230,000 so I've robbed a bunch of parts off it for my trucks. It has become a drivable storage shed but you have to sit on a 5 gallon bucket now since it's buckets went in another truck!

I forgot I took pics of the barn roof before I screwed the loose spots down.  I'm almost embarrassed to post it, because as I said, it's not steep at all.  My roofer will simply walk around putting in screws like's he's on the ground, but I simply can't anymore.  This phobia got much worse after I had to start wearing glasses.  They are tri-focals.

attachicon.gifP_20160225_1554391.jpgattachicon.gifP_20160225_1554481.jpg

The tobacco barn roof is aluminum....one of the first aluminum roofs in the county.  I'm not sure when this barn was built, but it certainly was well before I was born in 1958.  The lower roof on the shed addition  will have to be painted this year...next year at the latest.  I think I'll be able to handle that myself.  I have an airless paint spray system with about 50' or more of hose. We re-roofed the far side of the barn and the attached shed with painted steel roofing several years ago, and it's in great shape and snug.  This is the barn at Dad's next to the fields we plow in.

I'm not liking the idea of getting on the roof of my 25 year old shop and tightening the screws. Quite a few of them are beginning to leak a bit so i suppose it's time. Like you guys, running around on fairly steep pitches was nothing at one time but getting old and a bit wobbly kinda takes away some of the confidence for me anyway---and there's always the wind to consider---

DAC

Ol' Grey Mare for laffs--

Attached Thumbnails

• Ol Grey Mare.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, February 25, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7385 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Well, I just got my call from Clint, the local area manager of Southern States.  They have to list their available job positions on the company website, and they just listed the job this morning.  I filled out the online application, so all my local SStates has to do is accept it.  Looks like I'll be going to work within a couple weeks!   :dancingbanana:   Kinda scary as I've never worked outside this farm my whole life except for pitching hay as a teen for local farmers.  I think I will enjoy it though, and I'll do my very best!  Been nice not needing an alarm clock, but it's going back into service!

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7386 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 10:17 AM

I'm right along with you guys on climbing roof or climbing in general.  As I have gotten older it has become more and more of an issue.  I think some of it is that my body doesn't feel as stable as it once did.

Congratulations Daniel on your new job.  I'm sure you will feel like a duck out of water for a little while but I suspect you will get used to it very quickly and SStates will be getting a good employee. :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7387 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 01:33 PM

Glad to know Southern States continues to hire knowledgeable people. The Harrodsburg co-op has good folks for beef cattle, sheep, goats and horses. They call Chris (Eggman96) when they need a chicken answer!

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7388 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 03:38 PM

WooHoo...this side of ceiling is done!   :dancingbanana:   Might be summer before I get to finish the other side, once the spring rush is over at Southern States.  Not bad to get this done in 3 partial days, and doing it solo.

I can tell by doing jobs like this that my shoulders are getting better, and sure they will improve more yet.  They still ache some after, but they would have before my medical issues.

P_20160226_1524441.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#7389 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Daniel, just be yourself on the new job. I think you will do fine if the body holds out!

#7390 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:16 PM

They still ache some after, but they would have before my medical issues.

attachicon.gifP_20160226_1524441.jpg

Let see... holding heavy steel overhead, one-handed, running a screwgun with the other? I ache just thinking about it!

Edited by SupplySergeant, February 26, 2016 - 06:16 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7391 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:47 PM

I would be achy too after doing overhead metal. And I have several decades less of life's experiances than Dan. I am always amazed at how an older farmer knows how to do just about everything.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7392 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I would be achy too after doing overhead metal. And I have several decades less of life's experiances than Dan. I am always amazed at how an older farmer knows how to do just about everything.

The older you get, the better you find ways to do things!

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7393 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Nice work Dan!! Working for others has its ups and downs for sure!! Mostly ups though if you work with a good group, they can make a tough time much better.
At work I deal with 30 other people on a daily basis, only a few are trouble, and if I were the power's to be... They would be sooo out a there , but I'm not, so I need to deal with them.. But.. They know I take no crap... And have enough clout to really make their day a living hell... So they are decent to me. Knowledge is powerful, but dole it out very desperately or you may find yourself doing way more than they are paying you for!
Good luck my friend keep up the good work.

#7394 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Kinda scary as I've never worked outside this farm my whole life except for pitching hay as a teen for local farmers.

The benefits for working for someone else:

1: When you punch out, its no longer your problem.

2: Its not your problem until you punch back in

3: You only have a few responsibilities

4: Headaches are less

5: When your day is done, its done.

These are just a few of the benefits that I enjoy about working for someone else. They are not "set in stone" and there are exceptions to the rules but in general, most days are like the above. I have tried the self employed thing and made a decent go of it, due to circumstances beyond my control I had to give it up. Now I am spoiled in that, I only "have to" work 40hrs a week, I dont have near the head headaches and most days when I punch out they disappear. I dont have to fight with people to get paid.

Dan, as someone that has been self employed and knows what to expect from employees, you will be great at the job! It will be an adjustment and probably your biggest hurdle will be knowing when "not to jump in and handle something". With your knowledge you will be a huge asset to the company!

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7395 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Discretely not desperately ,DANG tablet...

Edited by skyrydr2, February 27, 2016 - 08:18 AM.

• Craig. said thank you