• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 06:19 PM

Went to look at the V8 Mountaineer, and it wasn't up to par.  Already had rust coming through in one spot, and an odd almost yellow interior.  Going by what we've seen, I'll be going back to test drive a V6 Mountaineer tomorrow.  This one is really nice with the exception to what looks like a tire guy let the socket hit the wheel between lug nuts, damaging the wheel coating.  Not terrible, but the only thing wrong in the looks department.  It has the small 1-1/4" hitch instead of 2", but would be plenty for what I'd tow with it anyway.

I figure it will have plenty of power, as it has 10 more HP than my Grand Cherokee, and the Jeep gets it when you need it.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7337 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Went to look at the V8 Mountaineer, and it wasn't up to par.  Already had rust coming through in one spot, and an odd almost yellow interior.  Going by what we've seen, I'll be going back to test drive a V6 Mountaineer tomorrow.  This one is really nice with the exception to what looks like a tire guy let the socket hit the wheel between lug nuts, damaging the wheel coating.  Not terrible, but the only thing wrong in the looks department.  It has the small 1-1/4" hitch instead of 2", but would be plenty for what I'd tow with it anyway.

I figure it will have plenty of power, as it has 10 more HP than my Grand Cherokee, and the Jeep gets it when you need it.

The explorer has the same hitch have to use a 1-1/4" to 2" or get a 1-1/4".  I like the fold down seats I have everything for engines to hay bales in the back of it ( I did use a tarp). Made a 2 and half hour drive and back last week on $20 worth of gas.

Edited by bbuckler, February 21, 2016 - 06:57 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7338 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:15 PM

We average right at 20mpg with our Jeep, and was surprised when either the Mountaineer's V6 or V8 have the identical expected rated fuel mileage as the Jeep, which is stated as 16mpg average.  I guess the way we drive increases our actual mileage, so we shouldn't see any decrease in mileage with a Mountaineer.   Been doing a lot of research on this, as it's a lot of money for us and don't want/need any surprises.

• Craig. said thank you

#7339 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Daniel I have been pulling large loads with Ford V6's for years. Pulled my dexta back from central MN with no problems. Pull the Ford 850 with a backhoe and loader all the time. This summer I needed the 13,000 excavator out to the farm and it followed the Sport-trac just fine. Only 11 miles and I went slow but I got there and back. 

Just be sure and use the OD lockout and no cruise. 

Ford and Ford - Copy.JPG  

Edited by Cvans, February 21, 2016 - 11:46 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., SupplySergeant and 1 other said thanks

#7340 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Driving habits impact fuel mileage greatly. My Tacoma is always above the sticker rated fuel mileage. I can easily make it below that too by taking off like a jack rabbit and running 80 down the interstate. Or pulling a trailer.

I never "city" drive. 70% of my driving is 55mph country roads and 30% highway.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7341 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Bought an 08 Mountaineer V6 with just 74,000 miles.  Really quiet & rides so much smoother than the Cherokee.  Hope it lasts us a long time without issues.  Teresa wanted me to drive it home, then the old Jeep must have it's feelings hurt, as it started bucking at highway speed, tach read near pegged even though it wasn't revving.  It cleared up & drove the rest of the way perfectly fine, but the old girl just keeps giving nagging problems.  Glad we bought something newer.

P_20160222_1358531.jpg P_20160222_1359091.jpg

• limebuzz, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#7342 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Looks pretty clean.  Nothing worse than having to deal with an unreliable vehicle!

Did you keep your Grand Cherokee? 

#7343 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 02:31 PM

Looks pretty clean.  Nothing worse than having to deal with an unreliable vehicle!

Did you keep your Grand Cherokee? 

Yes, kept it for my youngest daughter, but not going to hand it over till I figure out this latest bucking issue.  Part of me wanted to trade it in and let it go, but she wanted it, and it's been running fine for a long time now, but then less than 10 miles from the dealer, the ole Jeep started acting up again!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7344 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 02:34 PM

Nice looking SUV. I think my brother if he still has it must be going on 300,000 miles on his Mountianeer. Haven't asked in a while if he still has it but he likes or liked it. Hope you get a lot of trouble free use out of it. 

#7345 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 03:43 PM

Good looking SUV with low mileage for it's age. Should last you a good long time Daniel!! :thumbs:

#7346 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:39 PM

"Movin' on up!"  Nice looking vehicle! Good luck with it!

#7347 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:49 PM

I think my brother if he still has it must be going on 300,000 miles on his Mountianeer. 

I lied to you. You got me curious so I contacted him and he said it has 221,000 on it. Said it still looks good but the mechanical parts are starting to show their age. I would hope so!

#7348 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:01 PM

Hope that keeps you on the road for a while. It is purdy - even if it is the illegitimate child of a furd.

#7349 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Vary Nice!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7350 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 09:00 PM

FULL day today.  I slept in a bit as I had a late evening before sleep.  So before I woke, my roofer guy came and was ready to start on the shop roof.  So I slipped into work clothes & headed out the door, cup of coffee in hand, and spilling more than I drank! LOL

Kinda breezy, but got the one side finished before it got too windy to continue to the other side.  We ran into a problem though, as when we pulled the old sheets off & put the new roof on, when we got to the last piece which overlapped the old sheet on the shed portion, it was way off.  Turns out the old roofing was about 1/8" shorter between ribs, so after removing the 4 old sheets, we were 2" off when the new met the old.  No way to get the last ribs to align, so we were forced to cut the last rib from the last sheet and overlay the flat portions.  I had some 40yr high grade siliconized latex caulk to seal between the flats, so very doubtful it could ever leak, and even if it did, the flats have 2 slightly raised ridges which should carry any leakage on down to the dripline.  Plus the double bubble insulation is under it all and would also carry any water on down.  I parked the trailer with the remainder of roofing & other supplies in the shop to guarantee it would be dry when weather allows us to finish the roof on the other side.  We'll have to use the same overlap method on the other side.  I never thought of the older roofing being a different dimension!  But that was 30 years ago, so I should have checked that.  I fed silage in the middle of the roofing work.

Then I checked out the Jeep.  I fired her up & the problem was still the same....at above 1500rpm the engine coughed, tach needle jumped, etc.  Then I  tightened all connections to the alternator and checked/wiggled all other connectors including the PCM.  Then I fired her up & she ran just fine!  So I drove it to town and stopped by a muffler shop & had him put on a new muffler, as this one had the seam blown open for a while now.  Forgot to take my checkbook, so once he finished I drove home, then drove back to pay him.  Ran flawlessly!  :dancingbanana:   But I know it still may do it again if there is a PCM issue.  So I contacted the company where I purchased a reman computer a bit over a year ago.  It had a lifetime warranty, but they say it only had 1 year and said I was out of luck.  I was in the hospital with my blood clots in my lungs just a few days after receiving the PCM and lost track of the invoice & other paperwork, but I KNOW it was lifetime warranty.  So after a few emails & no luck, I said "fine, I'll take my business elsewhere from now on".   I think the guy I corresponded with while in the hospital sold his business, as it has a new address.  The reason I had contacted him was because the lifetime warranty would take effect once I shipped the core back and was required to be back by 2 weeks, and I had no idea when I would be released from the hospital.  He told me to get better & not worry, as he'd honor the warranty whenever I got it back to him.  He was great to deal with.  These new people were jerks about it all!  :mad2:

Then I fed out a few rolls of hay and some other chores.  

Dad called a while ago & wanted my sister Wanda & I to come check on mom & try to get her to drink some water. Wanda did get her to drink about 6 to 8oz.  She's had a home health care nurse visiting her the last few weeks.   She is dehydrated and Dad wants her to go to the hospital.  We are hoping the nurse, when she comes tomorrow will tell Mom she needs to go be admitted, as we don't think she'll drink enough to get over this and the IV would hydrate her fast.  She hardly drinks or eats anything and is down to 92 pounds.  Being dehydrated messes the mind making talking sense to her even more difficult.

Rain has arrived, and will be with us through tomorrow.

• Craig., KennyP, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks