Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8682 replies to this topic

#7321 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:48 AM

Calmer day today.  fed silage, then put out some round hay bales.  Then spent the afternoon running for stuff.  Stopped by Southern States to make sure I still have a job coming up, and I do, just the rainy weather has pushed it back some.  Likely won't start work till mid-March.  Otherwise, all is good!

Looks like your getting ready to open a new chapter in your life.  :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig. and vewatodo have said thanks

#7322 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:36 AM

It's most likely a temp job only, being done sometime in June, but you never know.  I want to do it for the money & experience.  I think I'll like it, I just worry the long hours at times will tax the old body.  

Gonna start warming up tomorrow, so likely will get more repairs done to the barn.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7323 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Seems like anything I do anymore taxes the body! Have fun! Gonna be nice down here for a few days! But, gotta work!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7324 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:50 AM

Seems like anything I do anymore taxes the body! Have fun! Gonna be nice down here for a few days! But, gotta work!

Well, that is true!  But like you Kenny, I have to be feeling mighty bad to just lay around.  I have enjoyed sleeping in most every day though, so once public work starts, I'll miss that.  After I feed silage in a few minutes, I'll work on Hogzilla getting the last few things finished.  

#7325 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:26 PM

Finished repairing busted/rotten wood then covering one end of the freestall barn with metal.  It almost whipped me, but I took a break, then finished. In the pic some metal is puckering out, but those screws are in now.

Starting on other end tomorrow.  Just repairing wood, then cutting the metal tomorrow, as I need to go pick up more roofing screws to put the metal on.

P_20160218_1539161.jpg  

#7326 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:38 PM

I was working on the barn here today. It amazing how much damage one pig can do. Supposed to be picking up 6 calves from my Sister's friend who father just passed away. Don't have a enough land to graze them so I figure I could auction them off when they are older. 

Edited by bbuckler, February 18, 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#7327 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:47 PM

Looks good Unc.!

• olcowhand said thank you

#7328 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Got all of the other end of the freestall barn patched over today.

Before:

P_20160220_1145501.jpg P_20160220_1145551.jpg

And after:

P_20160220_1632501.jpg P_20160220_1633041.jpg

Next will be the end of the original freestall barn.  It will need some structural wood repair first.

Been a beautiful day that topped out at 71F !!  I worked up a sweat today & loved it!

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7329 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Looking good from here, Daniel! Gorgeous day here as well!

#7330 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Missed the good weather today grrr had to sleep, started midnights tonight.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#7331 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:22 AM

Got the shop waste oil furnace operating fine again.  Turned out I was at fault when I changed the filter.  Thinking I could use any old oil filter....well, ya can't!  I ordered proper filters, 2 so I'd have a spare.  These use "screen only" filters, and any with paper in the element will clog soon.  I got to thinking how the problem gradually became worse, then did some checking.  When I seen the proper filter was only screen mesh, I knew I caused the problem.  I could never see air in the suction line, so ruled out the check valve, so the air was coming from the pump shaft seal under such a vacuum from the clogged filter that it pulled air past the shaft seal.  Changed the filter out after feeding silage, and now it seems to be operating perfectly.

Heading out to go SUV shopping.  There are a few in my price range, so want to go while the places are closed to look without a salesman pressuring me.  No, can't look inside them, but going to my grandson's Birthday party that will take me past all these car dealers, so knocking down a couple birds with the same stone.  Looking at Mercury Mountaineers mostly.  They don't get the best mileage, but they have the power.  The V8 version gets pretty much the same as the smaller V6, but have 82hp more (210 vs 292hp).  Being I pull trailers kind of often, I could use the power.  Avg mileage of 16 isn't good, but lots of owners report 22mpg highway, which is as good as my Cherokee can do.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7332 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Got the shop waste oil furnace operating fine again.  Turned out I was at fault when I changed the filter.  Thinking I could use any old oil filter....well, ya can't!  I ordered proper filters, 2 so I'd have a spare.  These use "screen only" filters, and any with paper in the element will clog soon.  I got to thinking how the problem gradually became worse, then did some checking.  When I seen the proper filter was only screen mesh, I knew I caused the problem.  I could never see air in the suction line, so ruled out the check valve, so the air was coming from the pump shaft seal under such a vacuum from the clogged filter that it pulled air past the shaft seal.  Changed the filter out after feeding silage, and now it seems to be operating perfectly.

Heading out to go SUV shopping.  There are a few in my price range, so want to go while the places are closed to look without a salesman pressuring me.  No, can't look inside them, but going to my grandson's Birthday party that will take me past all these car dealers, so knocking down a couple birds with the same stone.  Looking at Mercury Mountaineers mostly.  They don't get the best mileage, but they have the power.  The V8 version gets pretty much the same as the smaller V6, but have 82hp more (210 vs 292hp).  Being I pull trailers kind of often, I could use the power.  Avg mileage of 16 isn't good, but lots of owners report 22mpg highway, which is as good as my Cherokee can do.

My mom has a 2006 Ford explorer pretty much the same thing but it has the v6 it pulls a 2 horse trailer fine better than my Dad's little ranger. 

#7333 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hi Daniel

My burner uses a 141 micron screen filter.  Wix 51614 is one of the numbers I use.

I have installed a vacuum gauge on the burner side of the filter to monitor it condition.

This is the one I use.

GV-10-vacuum-gauge.gif

On my Blackgold I could let it go to 15 inhg. Have not had to change it yet on the Omin.

• olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#7334 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 02:49 PM

The v8 mecury mountaineers are nice. We bought a wrecked one for the motor. Nice 302 for a dirt track car.
  • Craig. said thank you

#7335 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 05:02 PM

I had a V8 Explorer. Traded it in on a family type vehicle, a van. I still miss that vehicle. I remember around 19 miles a gallon for nice driving. When pulling a trailer and needing to get places, it would drop fast.