• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 12:53 PM

That repair should last for a while, looks good to me. :thumbs:

Yes, without cattle beating up the barn, this will last a long long time.  Once I remove the freestall steel loops, the larger bay will be used for rolled hay.  Much easier than dealing with tarps over hay stacks outside.  Where we used to stockpile sawdust I'll also store rolled hay.  Those 2 barn areas will hold well over 250 rolls, so plenty of room.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7248 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Looks like a good repair to me! How tall are the openings?

• Craig. said thank you

#7249 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Looks like a good repair to me! How tall are the openings?

Well, I don't recall, but the taller must be about 9' as I'm pretty sure the Massey's with cabs fit under.  The other 2 are only maybe 7' and the center one I am raising the height to the next cross piece, so it will be about the same as the larger bay.  Can't raise the other one more than a few inches due to the rafter.

#7250 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:05 PM

No work on the barn today, as it's been just 20 to 25F with occasional mini blizzards just lasting a few minutes, but breezy all day giving windchills in single digits.  Went to town to do some financial stuff, then on to get a few groceries, and picked up a new thermostat for the Jeep.  Got home, then got the Jeep fixed, but not without a struggle and bloody hands from being so tight behind stuff.  The dang thermostat kept falling out of place when I'd go to put the housing back over it, so I had to remove the serpentine belt and cut a portion of the fan guard off to get to it easier.  Danged fan shroud is 1-piece and requires a ton of work to get it off, so I cut a short section off that extends over the fan on the top.  Fan is still completely covered, but gave me more room.

Had some BBQ chicken & scalloped taters for supper.  Done for the day!

#7251 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:52 PM

It was chilly here today, just not that cold!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7252 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:58 PM

Were expecting 6 to 12 hoping for none.
  • olcowhand and Gtractor have said thanks

#7253 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 08:47 AM

cut a portion of the fan guard off to get to it easier.  Danged fan shroud is 1-piece and requires a ton of work to get it off, so I cut a short section off that extends over the fan on the top.  Fan is still completely covered, but gave me more room.

I broke a piece off the top of my son's Cherokee he just got, already had 2 close calls getting my hand in there while it was running. Gotta find a new shroud soon before I lose a finger.

Weather is really screwy this year, seems you being 2 1/2 hrs south are getting more snow and worse weather than us.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7254 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:11 PM

REALLY?  Someone needs a warning point for working near a fan while it's running.

• olcowhand, DougT, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7255 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Oh man..when I was working on a dirt track car 12 years ago. I had a hoodie on leaned over to look at something and my hoodie strings went down into the fan and slammed me down on the car.

My wife asks me why when I get a new hoodie why I cut the strings out.
  • Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#7256 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Oh man..when I was working on a dirt track car 12 years ago. I had a hoodie on leaned over to look at something and my hoodie strings went down into the fan and slammed me down on the car.

My wife asks me why when I get a new hoodie why I cut the strings out.

I also like the hoodie, so I try to remember to tuck the strings inside the shirt out of the way.

#7257 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:17 PM

I can't stand hoodies. No peripheral vision. And if the things snags it feels like it is pulling your head off. 

#7258 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:30 PM

It has to be brutally cold with gale force winds before I use the hood on my winter coat.  I hate not being able to see to the side.  It's usually just a toboggan for me.

• Craig. said thank you

#7259 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Spent some time in the shop today, then half the afternoon at Mom & Dad's.  Mom had us so confused on the phone this morning about her meds, and she kind of talked in circles.  We told her we'd be out there in a while, then Dad called and said his icemaker was messed up again, and that Mom's home health nurse was there, so we shot on out there so we could talk to the nurse.  Mom's INR level was way too high, so we have to drop her warfarin till levels come down.  Nurse will be checking her INR level every day till it gets down where it should be.  As to the icemaker, I replaced the whole unit a year or so ago.  Since then, the arm that senses a full box has come off twice.  I couldn't figure how it could come off unless it was pulled off.  I chalked it up to one of them somehow pulling the thing off.  This time the arm was off, and the plastic tub where the ice cubes freeze was off, and the plastic cover that holds the ice sensor was off and MISSING along with the arm.  part of the ice tray was broken where the sensor cover clipped onto it.  It looked like someone got crazy with it and ripped it apart.  I thought Dad might be losing it & taking it out on the ice maker.   Well, I kept the old icemaker for parts, so I had the missing and broken parts and got it back together and it should work fine.  Then when I got home, I got on the internet and put in "samsung ice maker falls apart" and lo & behold the exact problem showed up, one in youtube which depicted exactly what Dad's ice maker did this time, except parts didn't disappear as in this case.  So maybe it wasn't Dad afterall.  But to make you understand why I suspected Dad.....last year I put in a new smoke detector and a new carbon monoxide detector in their house.  Last month they were both missing!  No finding them anywhere.  So I bought new.   Well, while there today, Mom said there was a cricket chirping every few minutes in their pantry/closet.  I heard it & instantly recognized a low battery chirp.  Took a few minutes of digging and the missing carbon monoxide detector is found!  No sign still of where the smoke detector went.  They were both mounted high on walls when I installed them.

Sometimes they can get my head a spinning like crazy, but I gotta do my best to take care of them.  Without Teresa's help I'd never be able to handle it all.

Have the Massey 362 block heater plugged in so I can feed out hay rolls.  Hope it's a calm non-eventful day.

In a week or so, I should be starting paperwork & such to start working for Southern States in March.  Time is rolling on!

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#7260 milkman44 OFFLINE  

milkman44
  • Member No: 78911
  • 94 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Thank you for sharing what you're going through, It sure brought back memories fo going through a lot of that with Mom and Dad and it can sure get heavy at times. When I got to feeling like it was heavier than I could bear, I told myself that I'm laying up treasures. Now that they are gone, I can see that that is really true, it gives me a whole new understanding and empathy when I see in laws and neighbors going through that with their family. Hang in there, there's abundant blessings ahead.

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks