Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8700 replies to this topic

#706 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your day Daniel.  I know how frustrated you might be,  more then once I have told my son something and what does he do...  The good thing is their day is coming when their son's will do the same thing to them.  :smilewink:   Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

#707 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I think I would be tempted to take the screw driver to the sons head.  Good luck getting it unlocked

#708 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:55 PM

PS I had a little incident involving MY son, MY Massey, and a fence this weekend!  

I take it the Son is fine, but the fence is toast?

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#709 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Son is fine, Massey is fine, fence is cracked but repairable.

Also a transmission issue, combined with straining to depress the clutch.  Ended up in 4th instead of neutral, drug the plow and had bent the fence up pretty good before he got it stopped again.

• olcowhand said thank you

#710 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Raining cats, dogs, and maybe a few elephants too!  So I took to the shop to look at the Massey stuck in gear.  Then I looked at the 175 through the oil fill hole & could see exactly where all 3 rails should align when in neutral, and where the 2nd/3rd gear should be (same trannies on these 2 models).  The gears were so bound (2nd/3rd and 1st/reverse gears) that trying to slide the forks wasn't a direct enough push on the 2nd/3rd gear, which was the culprit gear.  So I could see just behind the gear itself, and managed to get my small crowbar behind behind the gear at an angle against a casting.  2 small whacks of a hammer against the end of the crow bar & she popped out of 3rd!!!   :dancingbanana:   I'll let Josh switch the tractors back out tomorrow.  He had asked for today off last week, but I oughta tell him to come down on his day off today & swap the tractors in the rain!  That lesson might stick better than anything.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 2 others have said thanks

#711 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yep put him out there in the rain. LOL

Glad you got it fixed. The monsoon is here too. Odd that is is raining in KY and NC but Pigeon Forge is between us and on fire.

http://www.cnn.com/2...fire/?hpt=hp_t3

#712 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Raining cats, dogs, and maybe a few elephants too!  So I took to the shop to look at the Massey stuck in gear.  Then I looked at the 175 through the oil fill hole & could see exactly where all 3 rails should align when in neutral, and where the 2nd/3rd gear should be (same trannies on these 2 models).  The gears were so bound (2nd/3rd and 1st/reverse gears) that trying to slide the forks wasn't a direct enough push on the 2nd/3rd gear, which was the culprit gear.  So I could see just behind the gear itself, and managed to get my small crowbar behind behind the gear at an angle against a casting.  2 small whacks of a hammer against the end of the crow bar & she popped out of 3rd!!!   :dancingbanana:   I'll let Josh switch the tractors back out tomorrow.  He had asked for today off last week, but I oughta tell him to come down on his day off today & swap the tractors in the rain!  That lesson might stick better than anything.

Yay!!

So the same basic trick works for 135 and 285 trannnies?

And yes, natural consequences work wonders.

#713 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yay!!

So the same basic trick works for 135 and 285 trannnies?

And yes, natural consequences work wonders.

"175" and 285.  And our much newer MF362 looks to be pretty much the same also.  I need to pull the shift lever out to get a good look at it.  The 285 has a shift ball on the end with flat sides, and when they wear at the corners, this problem gets worse.  May be able to build it up & lessen the issue.

• KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#714 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Wow...just an hour ago it appeared rain would train over us at least 3 more hours, but the back end kind of faded away.  Wet through to China already, so glad it quit!

#715 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Daniel, I'll throw this out there but you probably already know it.  The older MF 135's seem to have an issue with getting locked in gear.  The remedy is to remove a large access plug (looked like maybe 1.5 inch pipe plug) for adding oil and getting a screwdriver in to help ease the shifter forks back into place.  May help, may not.

Just seen this post Howard.  Not been around a 135 in many many years, but sounds just like the same setup.  Normally, the foot long piece of 3/8" I keep on the tractor very easily pulls the 2nd/3rd rail/fork back into place.  This time for whatever reason, it was impossible with the 3/8" rod...it just bent.  But it's out now, so I'm much relieved!

• KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#716 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Got the mean heifer locked up letting the calves suckle.  Silage fed to the dry cows & heifers, and the afternoon load for the milk cows mixed & ready to feed once they finish cleaning up the morning feed.  Did some picking up in my former shop, but LOTS to do yet.  Came in for a cup of coffee & a heaping helping of GTTalk!

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#717 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well, always a surprise.  While milking, I let a new group in to milk.  One cow started scuffling around & shoving the cow in front of her.  Went to see why & the problem cow was in a lot of pain....bloated!  Her belly was distended to the max & she was about to go down in the parlor....a BIG no no!

I had to act fast, but I don't have a trocar & canula, a device to punch a hole & slip a tube through the gut wall to relieve the gas.

CP800.jpg

So I used the longest & largest needle I have, a 2" long 14 gauge needle.  It wasn't long enough or large enough to get much gas out of her.  So I did emergency standing surgery, and I'm not talking fancy & may sound cruel, but when bloated, they are in so much pain they literally don't notice much of anything else going on.  So I found a 1/4" piece of tubing and I had to use a pair of scissors to punch a hole through her side, then insert the tube.  Air instantly started escaping.  She was still in much discomfort when I let her out of the parlor (tube removed), but MUCH better.  I went out & checked on her a few times while I finished milking, and each time she was better than before.  When I last checked on her following completing milking, she was standing with her front feet up in a stall, bloat almost completely gone, and in no evident sign of discomfort.  I made her walk and she can walk normal now, where all she did before was slide her feet & stumble.  She came close to going down till I did what I had to do.  I'll check on her later this evening to be sure she's still ok.  Vet herd check is in the morning, so good timing there as he can check her over good.

#718 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:14 PM

I have seen that have to be done before. Lovely aroma.

#719 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have seen that have to be done before. Lovely aroma.

You don't wanna be lighting up a cigarette when that gas is escaping!!!!!  And no, I truly don't know that from experience. 

• sacsr said thank you

#720 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Did you have to stitch up where you put the tube or does it heal naturally?