• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Fed silage, then got the heifer into the barn which will greatly enhance her odds of getting over this.  I ground some corn so she'd have fresh grain.  She didn't want sweet feed, but she started right away on the ground corn.  There is a frost proof hydrant 6' from where she is at the moment, so that's an easy chore.

Got her on the last bit of a high-power antibiotic, Banomine for a pain reliever, and Dexamathasone for swelling in joints & nerves areas.  Sure hope she makes it.  She's got determination, I'll give her that.  This morning she was turned the opposite as she was yesterday (and sitting upright), so she's been trying to get up, and again, almost did as I approached with the Cat loader to move her.

P_20160131_0934491.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#7172 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:38 PM

I've checked on the heifer twice since moving her into the barn.  She's drank about 3 gallons of water, and been munching on the ground corn a lot.  She's also been munching on the slice of hay.  The meds should start kicking in good overnight.  If she doesn't get on her feet within 2 days, it won't be likely she ever will, but as long as she's trying, I'm trying.

• Craig., MFDAC, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7173 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Been where your at with an animal that is down, the fact that she is trying is really really good. I appreciate the compassion/concern that you are demonstrating in her care, hope she makes it :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7174 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Been where your at with an animal that is down, the fact that she is trying is really really good. I appreciate the compassion/concern that you are demonstrating in her care, hope she makes it :thumbs:

Thanks Jim, I try to have a heart with sick animals.  Sometimes it's hard to be nice when say like a large cow tries to swat you with her head, but with smaller animals, like this 300lb heifer, it's easier to be nice.  This one sure has life left in her.  Went down there just a few minutes ago & gave her another shot of dex for swelling.  She gave it a good try to stand up.  Her strength is gaining.  She finished her 4 or 5lbs of grain, so gave her more.  She's drank near 5 gallons of water today and ate a pound or 2 of hay, plus the grain.

But the last 2 days working on the loader then  lifting/tugging on this heifer today has taken a toll on my shoulders & neck.   I tried working on Hogzilla a little while ago, but with the deep aching and occasional stab pain, I finally called it a day, then took a pain pill.   The nerves are sure taking a long time to heal, that's for sure.  Trying to hold that 50lb Cat loader starter up to get a bolt in it, and my arm in an awkward position doing it caused pain that dang near could bring tears!  Twice I had to let the starter drop down & let it sit while the pain died down.  Finally I got a bolt started & all got better, but it's been very uncomfortable to painful since.

Looking forward to my Dr checkup tomorrow to see if he still thinks I'm doing normal for this recovery.  I just know every time I have to give it my all (which isn't nearly what I used to be able to do), I end up hurting lots more.

Kind of tough being so limited physically after a life of going full tilt whenever the need called, but getting older changes things, and I just have to adjust my life according.  Still good to be alive!  :thumbs:

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#7175 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:07 PM

My issue with holding things up is my arms will just give out. No strength at all above my head!

• Craig. and jpackard56 have said thanks

#7176 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I just know every time I have to give it my all (which isn't nearly what I used to be able to do), I end up hurting lots more.

Kind of tough being so limited physically after a life of going full tilt whenever the need called, but getting older changes things, and I just have to adjust my life according.  Still good to be alive!  :thumbs:

This I FULLY understand, having a neck fusion of C4,5,and 6 requires a LOT of re-learning what and how to do things, exactly what JimD and I discussed the other day. "getting old ain't for sissies"  which reminds me I need to PM another member that had back surgery this last month to see how he is doing, Dr was going to release him to drive on 29th. I know when I wasn't able to drive my mind (what little I've got) REALLY worked me over. Hang in their my friend, nerves are VERY slow healing in most cases, BUT there is life after neck surgeries, pretty good life in fact. (just no more wrestling heifers without mechanical means)

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7177 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:16 PM

My issue with holding things up is my arms will just give out. No strength at all above my head!

Yes Kenny, my upper body strength has really left me.  I'm real good for a few seconds, then strength just disappears fast!  The more heavy work I do or try to do, the more the numbness creeps across my shoulders and my hands.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7178 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Yep! Know that feeling very well!

• olcowhand said thank you

#7179 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:17 PM

Glad the cow is trying. I am sure the feed did her good. 

#7180 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Glad the cow is trying. I am sure the feed did her good. 

Getting her inside so the cool ground doesn't wick her body heat out is also a huge help.  It got up to 70F here today, but the wind has been howling all day long and will till tomorrow night.  She's nice and comfortable now.  I think I'll go check on her again in a little while.

• Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7181 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:00 AM

My shoulders are shot as well, and I often wondered if I couldn't build a simple articulating arm with a adjustable counterweight that would hold heavy items for me, like starters, but that's as far as Ive gotten.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#7182 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Heifer was on her side this morning, but took just a little pull on her ear and she shot up to sit normal.  Still hope she will get up.  Off to my Dr checkup this morning.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7183 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Been sitting a while at the Dr office awaiting my checkup. The TV going said prolonged sitting is bad for your health, yet here we are sitting!
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7184 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Been sitting a while at the Dr office awaiting my checkup. The TV going said prolonged sitting is bad for your health, yet here we are sitting!

How did the Dr. visit go??

#7185 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:35 PM

How did the Dr. visit go??

Took over 1 1/2 hours at the Dr office and was sure tired from waiting.  INR # was perfect (blood thinner #)  Blood sugar was a little higher than it should be.  I've not had much if any improvement in numbness or shoulder pain, and he said I should be doing better, so he put me on a muscle relaxer to see if it helps.  My neck though has felt some better since stretching exercises.

If the muscle relaxers don't help, he's sending me back to my neurosurgeon to be reevaluated. 

At this point I'm a little worried about my upcoming job.  I still think I can do the job, but I will be whipped every day for sure, and it could pull me down.  Hopefully things will improve.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks