#7126 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:29 AM

you have some snow for sure.How long will the snow stay at your place.Usually when we get snow we have to deal with it for 5 months.I used to live in a B.C. and we'd get a pile of snow and a few days it would be gone.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7127 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:31 AM

you have some snow for sure.How long will the snow stay at your place.Usually when we get snow we have to deal with it for 5 months.I used to live in a B.C. and we'd get a pile of snow and a few days it would be gone.

I've had the push piles last 3 months, but it's rare it stays that long.  Most snows are gone within a week or 2.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7128 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:03 AM

Not sure, but I think this just might be Dan'l under all the frost.

Attached Thumbnails

• a212355.jpg

• DougT, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7129 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:49 AM

I've had the push piles last 3 months, but it's rare it stays that long.  Most snows are gone within a week or 2.

Back home, if it snows in November, you have to be careful where you put the piles when snow plowing because they may still be there at the end of March. Makes it harder to deal with whatever falls before the big melt comes later. Moving snow right after it falls or even the first time it is moved is easy. The second and third time require a lot more effort and grief as the snow becomes closer and closer to ice as winter drags on. I have even resorted to ripping the snow pack with a plow in front of the eave side of my garage. If the snow slides off the metal roof, it is very dense and hard to move.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7130 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Been a horrible morning with more breakdowns and getting stuck.  Got a lot to get done yet, but it'll get done.  Anyone want to buy a farm?   :wallbanging:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7131 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Been a horrible morning with more breakdowns and getting stuck.  Got a lot to get done yet, but it'll get done.  Anyone want to buy a farm?   :wallbanging:

You can't sell that farm, you got to get that all cleaned up for PLOWDAY, your fans demand it. :worshippy1:

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7132 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:42 PM

I see that the cat decided to come back outdoors. I can't say she looks entirely happy with her decision though. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7133 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 05:09 PM

If I bought your farm, you'd have to rent it back from me... The commute is too long;)
  • olcowhand said thank you

#7134 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Spent the afternoon beating my head against the wall.  The IH loader won't charge even after putting 2 different "known good" alternators on it, so a wiring issue somewhere.  For now I'll just leave a 2 amp charger on full time while parked & run total loss ignition.

I already know the starter is toast on the Cat loader.  Last time we had it rebuilt, he told us the armature couldn't be turned down any further, and likely the armature is toasted anyway just like the field coils.  The rebuild guy told me a new starter was 8 to $900.  I found a genuine Denso starter for it new for $430, so ordered it just now.  Will be here by Friday, and will save me money and lots of time.

How on earth I could deal with all this if I were still milking I have no idea.  

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7135 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Teresa & I took time off for a cabin rental in Pigeon Forge.  Rented the cabin for 3 nights, but due to possible ice the last night, we came home early.  The cabin company doesn't disclose the roads are not maintained in the winter, so when we arrived, the trip up the side of the small mountain was not fun.  At first no snow or anything, just good blacktop, but nose bleed steep!  Then we got up near the cabin & hit snow/ice covered pl;aces.  We slid twice, once sideways.  Never again even in summer.  They put these cabins in ridiculous places.  The pic online when I rented it was NOT the spot we rented!  It showed a large flat parking area, which was on the wrong side of the cabin in reality, and steep as could be.

We made the best of it, going after bags of salt and a snow shovel to clear our drive.  We finally decided just to leave our Jeep at the bottom of our drive.  We still enjoyed the trip, but sure would have been nice if it had been stress free, which was nowhere near the case.

Then this morning Dad calls before I'm even awake.  I feed silage, then find a heifer hung up by a hind leg in a bent hay ring.  I used a metal cutting blade in my cordless Ridgid 7 1/4" hand saw & just cut the tubes off to get her out.  She's still resting, but should get up soon.  I'll keep a close eye on her.

When we got home, the new starter for the Cat loader was on the back porch.  Excited to have it till I opened it and it is NOT the starter I ordered.  Looks similar, but the ad stated 10.4mm mounting holes, and these are 15mm.  Plus the starter gear is 1 3/4" across, and the correct one should just be a shade over 1 1/2".  I called them & they will send a pickup slip, and exchange, but insist it has to be the right one.  I told them I'd send pics to prove it is not.  Before I do, I'm going out & remove the bad starter to get the OE numbers off it to appease them.

Back home & back to normal!  :wallbanging:   Could be worse though, so I'll live with it.

• Craig., KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7136 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:02 PM

i hate it when people do that

#7137 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:06 PM

i hate it when people do that

There's so many looking to rent cabins, they don't care if you never come back.  They just find more suckers like me!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7138 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:16 PM

Sorry the trip was so bad, Daniel! Hope you get a replacement starter soon.

#7139 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 02:39 PM

There's so many looking to rent cabins, they don't care if you never come back.  They just find more suckers like me!

Sometimes, you are actually better off staying home on the farm..... That stuff just adds to the "experience".

remember the crap that doesn't kill you makes you stronger......

BTDT got a drawer full of Tee shirts.

Edited by camdigger, January 28, 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#7140 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 02:53 PM

The pic online when I rented it was NOT the spot we rented! 

Sounds like these scalpers should be selling property in a swamp. 

What ever happened to "Truth in advertising" ???????

Glad you made it home OK.