WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:10 PM

So you won't need to mow the lawn any time soon Daniel?   :bounce:

Here we sit with maybe an inch in snow country!  Not right at all!!  The forecast is predicting rain and 40°+ next week!?!?!?!  

What a wacky season!  I have yet to get the sled out..   :boo_hoo:

Hope the furnace keeps up for ya..

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#7112 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:22 PM

House furnace needs resetting now & then, but still nice and warm.  I think we'll be able to make snow cream till around June!  This is the worst blizzard since maybe 1978.  The winds are howling.  They say it'll keep snowing till around 10pm tonight.  One drift against a barn is a good 7' tall.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7113 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Snow has started here now. Predicting 20+" with wind. We ought to get some nice drifts going.

#7114 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Snow has started here now. Predicting 20+" with wind. We ought to get some nice drifts going.

Oh you will!  I just got back from turning down the shop thermostat.  It wore me out just getting there and back.  Most was drifted to above my knees by taking the shallowest path.  Many drifts 3 to 4' across the drives.  Feels and looks like Antarctica out there and still snowing & blowing.  Had to also go shut off a light I left on in the milk parlor.  Drifts at the door were 3' and I barely could get the door open.  At least in the morning there won't be snow falling and I can begin the digging out process.  Oh how glad I am that I'm not milking cows now!

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7115 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:17 PM

That has to be such a relief on the winter mornings not to go out to milk and worry about the cattle. How are your heifers handling the weather? Probably better than a milk cow.

#7116 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:34 PM

That has to be such a relief on the winter mornings not to go out to milk and worry about the cattle. How are your heifers handling the weather? Probably better than a milk cow.

They seem to be doing fine....thank goodness.  And yes, heifers usually fare better than cows, as they aren't as stressed being they're not in milk production.  If I were still milking, right about the time of this winter storm I'd be dealing with at least one down cow, another with calving complications, broken milker or cooler issues, and more.  That's just how it always worked out.  Life is a lot easier now, but still somewhat scary forming a new direction.  

• Craig., KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#7117 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Dairy is not for the faint of heart.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#7118 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:57 AM

Think I've found my house furnace problem.  I've been watching the burners, but whenever I do, all works fine till today.  House was cool, so I go down & reset the furnace.  Flame rolls out, but doesn't ignite all the burners to where it can reach the flame detector.  So it shuts things down & goes through firing sequence again.  This time I tap on the burner & flame rolls all the way across.  Then I sewe there is a gap in the flame between burners.  Rust/corrosion has clogged off the smaller gas passages between 3rd and 4th burners so the flame just has to jump this gap, and sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.  I'll see if I can make a tool to get the crud out without taking the entire assembly out.

• KennyP said thank you

#7119 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:06 AM

Would a small wire brush work?

• olcowhand said thank you

#7120 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Would a small wire brush work?

Before cleaning, the furnace was again blowing cold air, so I went down to watch it light, and again, it shut down the flame due to the clogged burner.  So I peaned a piece of #10 copper wire down really thin, then bent a U in it and cleaned out between all the burners.  Some weren't aligned perfectly after 21 years of flexing from heat, so got them aligned.  It lights perfectly every time now, and has an even burn all the way across between each burner. Now to wait & see how it does over ahn hour or so.  I think it's fixed though, but time will tell.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7121 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I've pushed snow for 3 1/2 hours this morning & just got silage fed a few minutes ago.  All is cleared enough to feed easy enough.  Gonna hit 44 Monday with chance of rain, so the drives will be in good shape then.  Our roads have melted off nice from sunshine this morning after the blade truck made another pass & spread salt.  Our world will be fairly normal soon.  Gonna take the loader out to clear Dad's & Josh's & Fred's drive, and get a few neighbor's cleared as well.  One neighbor wanted me to pull him up his hill, but I told him I couldn't risk getting the payloader down there & not being able to get back up.  He has 3' drifts and this loader gets little traction with the hard R4 industrial tires even with 4WD, as it doesn't have positraction.  He understood, but I kinda feel bad.  But I know the loader would likely just spin out.

#7122 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 01:28 PM

It's been about 45 minutes since working on the furnace burner, and it appears to have done the trick!  :dancingbanana:   Hope I'm not dancing too soon!  :smilewink:

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#7123 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 05:46 PM

My Cat 910 payloader starter shorted out while clearing Dad's drive. :wallbanging:  Thought it was gonna catch fire, but pulled the battery cable in time and it cooled down. Had Dad drive me to my house to get the old IH gas payloader out so I could finish his drive, and pull the Cat out of the way. Was gonna clear my Dad's neighbor's drive, but the old loader is a beast to drive, and the steering was wearing me out.  Plus it wasn't running so good, but on the way home she started purring.  Been a long cold day, but I'm in for the night. Worn out, but fine.

My home furnace that's been giving me problems....I got that fixed at lunchtime.  Been working perfect since!  :thumbs: 
Always something breaking.  Just gotta try & stay ahead of the curve.

#7124 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Just cleared enough drive to be able to feed & function.

P_20160123_1650201.jpg P_20160123_1652441.jpg P_20160123_1650061.jpg P_20160123_1653051.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#7125 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:01 PM

My Cat 910 payloader starter shorted out while clearing Dad's drive. :wallbanging:  Thought it was gonna catch fire, but pulled the battery cable in time and it cooled down. Had Dad drive me to my house to get the old IH gas payloader out so I could finish his drive, and pull the Cat out of the way. Was gonna clear my Dad's neighbor's drive, but the old loader is a beast to drive, and the steering was wearing me out.  Plus it wasn't running so good, but on the way home she started purring.  Been a long cold day, but I'm in for the night. Worn out, but fine.

My home furnace that's been giving me problems....I got that fixed at lunchtime.  Been working perfect since!  :thumbs: 
Always something breaking.  Just gotta try & stay ahead of the curve.

Bet the old loader was happy to be headed home! I'm sure you were! Glad the furnace is working well again!