• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Since doing stretches, my neck has been much better!  I rarely have loud neck "snaps" like before, plus my mobility keeps improving.  My strength has drained though, and I'm thinking of getting a "stack gym" so I can get built back up a bit.  Pretty decent units for $200 to $250.  One at Sams Club is $255 and all other stores want over $500 for the exact machine.  I figure by getting myself back into shape this way, I'm saving a ton of cash over getting physical therapy.

Been using a 10lb dumbbell tonight and I can feel it.  Did 50 curls each arm, and about 30 reps 2-handed straight above my head, then dropping it far as I can behind my back.  Really stretches things out.

• Craig. said thank you

#7082 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:22 PM

Watch craiglist. Exercise equipment has to be the number one item bought and never used.

The do make excellent coat racks and catch alls.

My aunt bought a nearly brand new bow flex for a quarter of the cost as a new one. Those really make good coat hangers with all the bows!!
  • MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#7083 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 11:36 PM

I so glad to see you exercising, and hearing its working....... Guess i need to do the same, its just everything already hurts so much now, don't particularly want any more pain. But hearing its working well for you is telling me lot :worship:

Edited by Craig., January 20, 2016 - 11:37 PM.

#7084 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 06:39 AM

My strength has drained though, and I'm thinking of getting a "stack gym" so I can get built back up a bit.  Pretty decent units for $200 to $250.  One at Sams Club is $255 and all other stores want over $500 for the exact machine.  I figure by getting myself back into shape this way

I think it's kind of funny that a person that's as active as you would need to weight train , on the other hand maybe me ?  That's different I need to ! 

• Craig. said thank you

#7085 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:24 AM

I think it's kind of funny that a person that's as active as you would need to weight train , on the other hand maybe me ?  That's different I need to ! 

I've been nowhere near as active since surgery.  Since the neck surgery, I've tended of course to baby anything that pulls on my neck, which is basically everything above the waste.  My muscles were staying taught and all in a bind.  What is strange is how my arms look the same, but I don't seem to have near the strength in them.  I seem to still have as strong a grip as ever though, but then again, making a grip doesn't pull on the neck, so my forearms weren't affected so much.  When I have had to do heavy lifting etc, it has left me sore and hurting, so that shows me I'm way out of shape from how I was before surgery.

I need to get as limbered up as possible before going to work come March so it won't be as hard on me, and so I can do a good job for them.  Besides being my bosses, the guys at Southern States are also my friends, so I don't want to let them down, or myself for that matter.  Besides, I'm not getting any younger, and getting in better shape would be a good thing.

My biggest problem is where to put a stack gym.  They take up a 3x6' area, and Teresa has her treadmill in the bedroom and there's no more room in there.  She uses it regularly too.  Guess I'd have to put whatever I got upstairs, which isn't handy at all.

Oh, and kinda sore from exercising last night! 

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7086 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 11:17 AM

Daniel, What neck stretches do you do?  Do you have a link where you got them?  i'm thinking they may do me some good.  I'm having a hard time turning my head when I come to one of those yields to the right when I'm on the bike.

• Craig. said thank you

#7087 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Daniel, What neck stretches do you do?  Do you have a link where you got them?  i'm thinking they may do me some good.  I'm having a hard time turning my head when I come to one of those yields to the right when I'm on the bike.

I'll see if I can find you links tonight.  I didn't bookmark them though.  Basically one was an intense shrug, then while holding it,move your neck as far as comfortable to the front, then to back, then both left and right.  Then do the same head motions while having shoulders pulled back as if to touch your shoulder blades together.  The shrug feels good, as it unloads the neck.  I'll do them several times a day while out working.  I'll sit on the edge of my chair & do them while watching TV too.  There were others, but these seem to help the most.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7088 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 03:53 PM

Got the deed papers signed today.  Josh has to get in & sign, then the land & house will be officially in Josh's name.  Finally got word from Farm Credit the lean release was filed on the 12th, so all is about finished with this nerve wracking process.  All together, buying out Josh's part of the farm took 70 grand cash, and 55 acres plus his house.  The worst part is that 35 grand went to taxes for what was rightfully his to begin with!

• Alc, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7089 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Got the deed papers signed today.  Josh has to get in & sign, then the land & house will be officially in Josh's name.  Finally got word from Farm Credit the lean release was filed on the 12th, so all is about finished with this nerve wracking process.  All together, buying out Josh's part of the farm took 70 grand cash, and 55 acres plus his house.  The worst part is that 35 grand went to taxes for what was rightfully his to begin with!

The "tax man" is relentless, we've had similar craziness in our family too :mad2: as if we aren't already the only business in the world that buys everything at retail and then forced to sell at wholesale, we get the snot taxed out of us as well  :(  Relatives in Canada tell me it can even be worse up there, apparently the government can even decide WHO can inherent/ take over farm property in some cases.

Glad your process is finally clearing up so you all can move on.

Edited by jpackard56, January 21, 2016 - 04:56 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#7090 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:29 PM

The shop's waste oil furnace has kicked off the safety switch again yesterday.  I checked for air in the line, and there was some.  It has to be either a leaky threaded connection on the suction line to the tank, a leaky pump seal, or possibly a worn leaky foot valve down in the tank.  There isn't even a hint of oil seepage at the pump shaft, so I'm leaning towards a leaky threaded connection.  So I cleaned all joints, then applied silicon.  If it still does it, I may have to pull the foot valve and either clean it or replace if it appears to be leaking.  It's the original check valve, and the counter shows we've pumped over 2,400 gallons of old dirty oil through it.  That's enough to cause wear allowing leak down.  

I bled all the air out this afternoon hoping it will keep the shop a little warm tonight, as I plan to paint some GT parts in there tomorrow.  I can keep an eye on it long enough to get the paint to cure long enough to resist cold damage later on.

#7091 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:33 PM

On these waste oil burners do the lines get gummed up ?

#7092 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:37 PM

On these waste oil burners do the lines get gummed up ?

I've no idea Al.  I do know the copper line from pump to heater was clear as a bell when I moved the furnace to the new shop, but I didn't take the suction pipes apart.

• Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#7093 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Now they are calling for my area to get 12 to 15" snow.  Gonna be busy once snow stops.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#7094 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Our old farm cat (we just call her momma kitty) asked to come in this morning.  From time to time, she comes in for extended visits.  When she's had her fill of socializing, she goes to the door & asks out.  If we get the predicted snow, she may not ask to go back out!  :smilewink:

P_20160122_0753011.jpg

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7095 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:11 AM

It's blowing snow!  Drifts already almost 2' deep in places and it's just getting started!  

P_20160122_0805271.jpg P_20160122_0805461.jpg

Still have to go out & feed silage, but don't look forward to it.  Snow is blowing horizontally most of the time.  And now my house furnace is acting up.  It seems the high limit isn't resetting as flame cuts off and blower just keeps running.  I can shut off the thermostat, instantly turning it back on and it starts a new heat cycle immediately.  

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks