• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:42 AM

WooHoo....woke up to near normal hands!  Auther's visit is about over!    It's been about the worst bout to date, so I am so glad it's leaving.   :dancingbanana:

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7037 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Does the weather have any affect on the arthritis?  Cold? Humidity?

I have some problem with my knee.  Had it for several years.  This morning with the 0 temp outside my knee is stiff and aches like crazy.  Also gets stiff and aches before it rains in the summer!  I have a diagnosis from several years ago, but I've never done anything for it since I am scared to death of the surgery.  19 year old cousin had her knee done.  Girl was a picture of heath.  Fit, ate right, and exercised regularly(all the things I'm not and don't do) she had her knee done, 3 days later they found her dead on the bathroom floor.  Blood clot from the surgery.  That was several years ago, very sad and terrible.

#7038 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Does the weather have any affect on the arthritis?  Cold? Humidity?

I have some problem with my knee.  Had it for several years.  This morning with the 0 temp outside my knee is stiff and aches like crazy.  Also gets stiff and aches before it rains in the summer!  I have a diagnosis from several years ago, but I've never done anything for it since I am scared to death of the surgery.  19 year old cousin had her knee done.  Girl was a picture of heath.  Fit, ate right, and exercised regularly(all the things I'm not and don't do) she had her knee done, 3 days later they found her dead on the bathroom floor.  Blood clot from the surgery.  That was several years ago, very sad and terrible.

Many times I do notice it can be worse when a low pressure system is moving in, other times though it's perfect weather.  That was certainly tragic about your cousin.  It is certainly nothing short of a miracle I am still alive, which is basically word for word what my Dr's told me when I had the massive clots in both lungs which originated in my right calf muscle.  Her passing from  knee surgery is the 1st time I've heard of such a thing with what is considered routine surgery these days.  How many years back was this?

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7039 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Glad to hear Arthur has eased up for you, Daniel!

• olcowhand said thank you

#7040 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:26 AM

1st time I've heard of such a thing with what is considered routine surgery these days.  How many years back was this?

2005.  I was reading facebook, and seen she had made a post at like 11:00PM and her mom found her at 6 AM in the bathroom.  She was on break from college and staying with her mom and dad awhile she healed up.  The doctor said this is very rare that this occurred but it is one of the outlined risks of any orthopedic surgery.

The same thing almost happened to a guy I worked with.  2012.  He ended up with blood clots in his lungs after knee surgery.  He was in his late 50s when it happened.  Didn't smoke, skinny as a rail, and was in pretty good shape.  He came back to work, and that evening he was in the ER then in the hospital for a decent amount of time.  His wife came in to get his check and told us he it was a miracle that he pulled through.

My wife has a blood clotting disorder.  Factor V Leiden is what they call it.  She has the single defect which isn't nearly as bad as having both.  She has had two blood clots in her leg already.  Right Calf.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 13, 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#7041 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:47 AM

2005.  I was reading facebook, and seen she had made a post at like 11:00PM and her mom found her at 6 AM in the bathroom.  She was on break from college and staying with her mom and dad awhile she healed up.  The doctor said this is very rare that this occurred but it is one of the outlined risks of any orthopedic surgery.

The same thing almost happened to a guy I worked with.  2012.  He ended up with blood clots in his lungs after knee surgery.  He was in his late 50s when it happened.  Didn't smoke, skinny as a rail, and was in pretty good shape.  He came back to work, and that evening he was in the ER then in the hospital for a decent amount of time.  His wife came in to get his check and told us he it was a miracle that he pulled through.

My wife has a blood clotting disorder.  Factor V Leiden is what they call it.  She has the single defect which isn't nearly as bad as having both.  She has had two blood clots in her leg already.  Right Calf.

My family is riddled with the clotting factors.  My oldest sister has I think 4 different ones.  I have never been tested, as I will need thinners for life, there was no real need to waste the money on tests, as they know I must have them.  Both sides of my family have the factors.  If having surgery anywhere in the legs, if having a temporary clot filter placed, then the risk of clot death is almost zero.  My filter was to be temporary, but it leaned in my vena-cava to where it could not be retrieved without major invasive surgery.  But my surgeon who placed it has never removed on in 30 years, so I consider it being there for life a "non threat" despite all the lawyer ads on TV about them.

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7042 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:07 AM

My coworkers brother died at Christmas from a blood clot, 2 weeks after heart surgery. They said blood clot form in his pulmonary artery then broke lose while he was at the hospital. Doctor told them it is a 1 in 1000 chance of forming blood clots after surgery.

• olcowhand, Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7043 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:14 PM

Being a stubborn male, made even worse by being compounded with also being a "stubborn farmer" (and my insurance didn't cover a physical therapist), I figured as far as physical therapy for my neck following surgery that my work would suffice.  Well, it hasn't.  So last night I did a lot of research on the net and found a lot of simple exercises for post cervical surgery.  Believe it or not, just a few minutes of stretches last night helped!  Some are so simple I can do them as I walk even, so I've been doing them several times today.  I hope this will get me limbered up to where I won't have pain in my neck & shoulders.  But don't get your all's hope up, I'll still be a pain in the neck to you guys!   :bigrofl:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#7044 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:20 PM

A couple of years ago I had problems with my Achilles tendon.  Dr. sent me to physical therapy and once I go hold of a good theripist (another story) she gave me some simple exercises / stretches to so and I still do them to this day at least once a day.  If I skip a couple of days I know it.  Glad you found some stretches to do.  It might take a while for them to work but all of sudden one day you will realize you are out of pain or at least reduced.

#7045 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:20 PM

My dad had neck surgery done 2 years ago and his insurance as well doesn't cover any "unrequired" physical therapy. The doctor recommended it but the insurance people are better doctors and said no.

The Dr gave him a list of stretches to do daily when he first gets out of bed. He claims it helps.

#7046 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:21 PM

Some times, you can be a pain elsewhere! :bigrofl: I'm sure Teresa can fill in that!

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7047 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 03:58 PM

Some times, you can be a pain elsewhere! :bigrofl: I'm sure Teresa can fill in that!

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#7048 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 04:14 PM

That she can Kenny, that she can!
  • KennyP said thank you

#7049 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 04:16 PM

Oh, and deed transfer to Josh will be ready to sign next week! When that is done I'll feel much better.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7050 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 05:43 PM