• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:27 PM

There is something satisfying in bringing a balky animal to heel :cowboy_shooter: 

You got that right Howard!  Showing her I was the one in charge is what made my day!  :D   My butt is dragging from all the work I got done, but it was a good day with a lot accomplished, and again....putting the mean heifer in her place was the most satisfying of all of it!  She seemed to calm down as they suckled, so I'm hoping this will cause her "momma instincts" to kick in.

I also have a small bull that has a bad attitude.  I found him laid on his side on a hill a month + back, in a position to where he couldn't right himself.  He looked near death, but I managed to get him to the barn after I righted him & he rested a while.  He's put on a lot of weight after feeding him very well out of the weather, so he's back outside with a grain feeder.  Now he's bellowing like he's gonna get me, so tonight after milking I took some fist size rocks out in the field & busted him good.  Man did he get pissed off!  :rolling: But he knew I was in charge & left through the gate to the larger field.  He's gonna soon get his chain put back on his nose ring & returned to the breeding age heifer field.  He will NEVER be a milking herd bull though, as this one will likely be very dangerous when he gets bigger.  He's from a good bloodline though, so I'll keep him as long as I can with the heifers, but his time will be limited here.  

Tomorrow I MUST get some temporary braces in the milking parlor head rails.  I was intending to do that today, but had too much other to do before rain gets here again, so tomorrow it gets done.  Then I can relax & build new rail components as time allows.

#692 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Was it you talking about tying a rope and some two by four around the neck of an unruly animal?  They could get along fine as long as they walked, but would trip if they tried to charge.

#693 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Someone else mentioned that when I spoke of putting the 4' of chain on the bull's nose ring....can't remember who though.  

#694 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:40 PM

We would milk our little "herd", usually only two or three cows, by hand.  At the beginning, we just led them into the little corral, get halters on them and then tie their heads to a post, then tie a rope around their hips so they couldn't kick.  Seemed like the strangest thing, tieing a rope around the hips to stop them from kicking.  Later, Dad built a milk barn, with a head lock and a feeding trough.  

The other thing I remember about that, the barn was  a good way from the house.  At first, we had a open bucket we collected the milk in, no lid and the only place to process the milk was up at the house.  So, we'd have to hold the bucket up by the handle to keep it from sloshing and spilling as we drove along (Dad didn't spend NEARLY as much time of the cow pasture road as he did on the main road) and Man! that bucket got heavy.

#695 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Got caught up to date on your Woes and WooHoo's this morning Daniel.  You certainly earn those seldom days off you get.  Keep up the good work, Milk is a wonderful thing :D Oh and in this post:

No hail, but the rain hung on quite a while.  Got all 3 calves in nice straw bedded stalls, and all momma cows where they need to be.  Also got the rest of my old work bench pulled out, and all installed in the new shop.  Still need a couple braces added under the new bench location.  Now time to feed silage.

You did not tell us how wet you got doing so :smilewink:

#696 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Days off can be relaxing, but playing catch up is fun at all! Glad you got the calves some supper!

#697 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Got caught up to date on your Woes and WooHoo's this morning Daniel.  You certainly earn those seldom days off you get.  Keep up the good work, Milk is a wonderful thing :D Oh and in this post:

You did not tell us how wet you got doing so :smilewink:

Just damp actually....worked between & after rainfall times.  Today was supposed to be wet, but they changed it last night to what turned out to be a beautiful day! :dancingbanana:    Uneventful milking this am, and going to finish bracing the parlor head rails, force momma to feed the youngin calves, then hopefully a few minutes to put our new grill together.  Hope to grill some burgers tonight or tomorrow.  Rain fairly likely tomorrow, but I can grill under the shed.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#698 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Was it you talking about tying a rope and some two by four around the neck of an unruly animal?  They could get along fine as long as they walked, but would trip if they tried to charge.

Someone else mentioned that when I spoke of putting the 4' of chain on the bull's nose ring....can't remember who though.  

That would have been me. :D :D

My step-dad had a Holstein bull that would get a bit owley and he used a length of chain and a 2x4..  Chain went around the bull's neck, and down to just below the knees and the 2x4.  Bull could walk normally, but if he tried to run, the 2x4 would trip him.

He had interesting way of dealing with a 'kicker' as well. Now Morris was a big man, strong as an ox, and had a fist that looked like a ham.  If a cow he was milking kicked when he started putting the cups on her, he would stand up, and give her a good shot to the side, just behind the ribs.  I've seen him bring them to their knees doing that.  Then he would go back to putting the cups on.  If she kicked again, she got another 'shot', and he would do that until she stood still. He would do that for 2 milkings,  If the cow still kicked on the third milking...it was off to be turned into Big Macs.  He would not abide a kicker.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 16, 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#699 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Heifer locked in & calves suckling & smiling!  Moved some rolled hay, got the new charcoal grill put together, and parlor all braced up.  Got a little "me time" for a couple hours.   :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#700 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Last week end, on my "day off", I had to split my day to help with a farm related thing, now today I've spent the last 2 hours getting soaking wet in a COLD rain because my son got the Massey 285 locked in 2 gears at the same time while feeding silage.  He always gets here late, then does everything in a hurry, and shifting this tractor in a hurry will cause grief in a heartbeat.  He knows this, but still does it.  This time I could NOT get it out of gear, so we had to unhook it, then pull the tractor out of the way & put the Massey 1100 on the wagon.  So nice getting chilled to the bone!  The only true day off I get is when I leave the state!  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• HowardsMF155 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#701 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Daniel, I'm very sorry to hear about that.  That's one of those things that can be VERY aggravating.

Now, I can't imagine that the Massey cooperated very well about being moved to one side, what with the transmission being locked up.

PS I had a little incident involving MY son, MY Massey, and a fence this weekend!  

#702 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Halfway getting the 285 pulled out of the feeding area, I finally got the hi/lo range shifted to neutral, so it rolled easily then.  The engine can only be ran with the clutch pressed down, as the tranny is a constant mesh, so being in 2 gears locks it solid.  May be a problem getting it out this time.  I got it rolled into the shop, but I have my hands full for tomorrow, then Tuesday morning I have herd vet check that will take me to noon.  Just have to use the 1100 for a few days.  It does ok, but isn't the easiest to feed with due to it's larger size.

#703 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sorry to hear that it wasn't a good day off for ya.

So, how do you deal with that tranny next?

#704 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear that it wasn't a good day off for ya.

So, how do you deal with that tranny next?

My buddy Cecil came visiting & he used to deal with 285's mowing interstates, and they had the same issues, and many times had to pull the main top plate off the transmission to pry the gears out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#705 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Daniel, I'll throw this out there but you probably already know it.  The older MF 135's seem to have an issue with getting locked in gear.  The remedy is to remove a large access plug (looked like maybe 1.5 inch pipe plug) for adding oil and getting a screwdriver in to help ease the shifter forks back into place.  May help, may not.

• olcowhand said thank you